The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was asked to attend a meeting at work today to hear a presentation by a company that our radiology department is considering contracting some work to...

The presenter starts up his laptop, and I notice an exige S as his background image !

Turns out it is Jkolb from Texas/Oregon...what are the odds of that ? :wave:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
rotfl What a great story. I assume he got the work?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know as it isnt really my decision, but I think I want to go work for himrotfl

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It's funny because I used to hang out at the bar with Doug (Krudson) years ago and bumped into him on the street and only to find out he was an Etalker. Too bad he didn't remember me...

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
My son and I were driving a twisty road in Wisconsin and an Elise passed by going the other direction. I told my son, I didn't know who that was but I wondered if he would be coming to our house for a get together the next day.

Sure enough. And that's how I met Dasmoofler.

Q

·
0 Posts
My son and I were driving a twisty road in Wisconsin and an Elise passed by going the other direction. I told my son, I didn't know who that was but I wondered if he would be coming to our house for a get together the next day.

Sure enough. And that's how I met Dasmoofler.

Keep him away from your son... he's a pervert by his own confession!

rotflrotfl

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I have a "small world" story that has nothing to do with Lotus, :eek:, but it is story that really shows it IS a small world....

I was on the SIGGRAPH conference committee for 2000. I don't remember the exact number, but I seem to recall there were about 10 people on the committee. One of the guys was from Sao Paulo, Brasil. We were talking and I told him I worked for Motorola. He was at the university in Brasil and had worked with some people from Motorola. He asked me if I knew ****. As it turned out, I had worked with **** in Munich about 10 years earlier.

What a surprise! I was working with someone from Brasil who had worked with someone I worked with in Munich and I lived in Arizona.

The same day, I was talking with another guy who was the outgoing Pres. of the SIG. I found out he grew up in the same town as me, lived about 2 blocks away, and graduated from the same high school -eek-

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Another small world story... Lotus related.

Soon after I bought my Elise, I went to an auto-x to check things out. I was talking with a fellow LT member. The subject of jobs came up. I mentioned how some people I had known since I started work at my job that were laid off after over 30 years of service when their division was sold off. Then he said, "Yea, I know. I'm the one who laid them off". :eek:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
...what are the odds of that ? :wave:
1 in 43.23.

So, I knock out this dead space out of my friends house to do some renovating. I found out it use to be a cabinet. There's a newspaper on one of the shelves and a note. On this day I boarded up this cabinet. My friends wife comes home, picks up the paper, and says did you look at this. "Yeah, 1987" "No did you look at the date?" No we (idiots) didn't. It was the same day, April 15th. So I'm telling this story to a friend, and he says. Man, what are the odds? I shoot right back. 365 to 1. DUH!

I read an article once. It's not amazing that coincidences happen. It's amazing they don't happen more often.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Ivan has a wonderful sense of humor. I have discovered his real intent behind this thread. He has pulled a prank on us!

I was wondering what sparked me to start humming "It's a Small World Afterall" lately. :wallbang:

Good one, Ivan! Now I have to work on a way to get you back...you're not easily fooled. Hmm......

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
I have a few (non-Lotus related) -

1) Was in San Fran and saw a classmate from Texas in a church. Saw them AGAIN the next day on Alcatraz.
2) My cousin from Germany and I were visiting Hong Kong at the same time but did not know it, until my mom got a postcard from both of us from there.
3) A friend of mine was in NYC (I didn't know they were there), turns out they got me a small Christmas present while visiting... when I got it, it looked familiar. I mentioned that when I was in NYC on a certain date I saw the exact same things at this particular place and almost bought them. Turns out we were both at the same place the same day just a few hours apart.
4) I was at an auto-x event in 2003 just watching after another event had finished at TMS. Turns out my future wife was racing in that auto-x event lol. I did not meet her until 2005.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
1 in 43.23.

So, I knock out this dead space out of my friends house to do some renovating. I found out it use to be a cabinet. There's a newspaper on one of the shelves and a note. On this day I boarded up this cabinet. My friends wife comes home, picks up the paper, and says did you look at this. "Yeah, 1987" "No did you look at the date?" No we (idiots) didn't. It was the same day, April 15th. So I'm telling this story to a friend, and he says. Man, what are the odds? I shoot right back. 365 to 1. DUH!

I read an article once. It's not amazing that coincidences happen. It's amazing they don't happen more often.
:up:

Most people's instincts about probabilities are far off the mark, especially with "coincidences". While the probability of an individual event might be low, people don't realize how many "samples" they take daily of "events".

For example, there are around 220 million Americans over the age of 20. If there are 365 days in a year, every year those Americans experience 80 billion individual days. If there was an event whose probability of happening to an average American adult on an average day was 80 billion to 1, the chances of at least one American experiencing such an event in a year would be (1.0 - (1.0 / e)) = 63.2%.

Think about that for a second... the chances that at least one person in the US will experience a specific 80 billion to 1 event in a year is 63.2%.

Now consider how many possible 80 billion to 1 events there are (it's practically an infinite number, we just don't notice many of them). And that's exactly what Josh is saying... (individually) incredibly improbable things happen every day... we only notice a tiny fraction of them.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ivan has a wonderful sense of humor. I have discovered his real intent behind this thread. He has pulled a prank on us!

I was wondering what sparked me to start humming "It's a Small World Afterall" lately. :wallbang:

Good one, Ivan! Now I have to work on a way to get you back...you're not easily fooled. Hmm......
Cant put one by yourotfl

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
And the Google Frame-Ad's now appearing at the bottom of this page?...

It's a Small World Ring Tones! :panic: :wallbang:

"Especially tailored" to/for you, Moto. rotfl
Friggin' Google Ads!!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
:up:

Most people's instincts about probabilities are far off the mark, especially with "coincidences". While the probability of an individual event might be low, people don't realize how many "samples" they take daily of "events".

For example, there are around 220 million Americans over the age of 20. If there are 365 days in a year, every year those Americans experience 80 billion individual days. If there was an event whose probability of happening to an average American adult on an average day was 80 billion to 1, the chances of at least one American experiencing such an event in a year would be (1.0 - (1.0 / e)) = 63.2%.

Think about that for a second... the chances that at least one person in the US will experience a specific 80 billion to 1 event in a year is 63.2%.

Now consider how many possible 80 billion to 1 events there are (it's practically an infinite number, we just don't notice many of them). And that's exactly what Josh is saying... (individually) incredibly improbable things happen every day... we only notice a tiny fraction of them.
Wow, that's really weird I was just about to write the same exact thing!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts