The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drove a manual for the second time ever today. I also happened to drive my exige home today. It was a momentous occasion. I "only" stalled her like 20 times while practicing launches around the previous owner's house. I hadn't even stalled once the first time I "learned" Luckily it just clicked after those laps and I drove her home an hour in stop and go Chicago traffic, only stalling once when I couldn't decide whether or not I should merge between two semis (in stop and go traffic), leaving behind my rear guard and fearing being crushed. All in all, it was a huge success and she is glorious.

The hardest parts thus far.

1. for some reason i just can't do reverse well at all. parking is my first item to practice tomorrow (I already bought cones)

2. using on-ramps when other people are there... they just don't seem to understand how fast those things are meant to be taken.

3. I accidentally drove home at night without the lights on. this one is on me, i should have realized that something was wrong when the dash wasn't lit up. I honestly thought the car might not have that feature.

4. I spent like an hour trying to figure out how to open the trunk, and still haven't figured it out.

Anyways, i'll probably have to take some pictures and post them, but since I bought her from another forum member I could just reuse pictures and I'm sure alight of you have seen her. Though he never really got the chance to be as active with her as he would have liked, so those of you in the Chicago area can expect to see a lot more krypton green on the prowl and at meets/drives!

Also, if anyone wants to solve #4 for me, that would be fantastic. I even checked the owner's manual and it doesn't seem to be where i think it's pointing, which is the center spine in the back.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Congrats. Feels a lot more reassuring to know I am not the only newbie to manual driving to go buy a lotus :D. Funny enough, the elise was the easiest manual car I ever drove!!!!
Not sure about the exige, but the elise doesn't have a trunk release in the cockpit. You can only open it with the key.
Well good luck and drive safe

·
Registered
622 Posts
#3)Lights use the buttons beside the start button, will illuminate a green dot when on. Top button is parking lights, middle is headlights and the bottom (third) button is for the driving lights if you have them.
#4) The rear hatch release is between the drivers' seat and the sill right behind your hip if you are sitting in the seat, it's a small black plastic lever.
Your owners' manual should be in a little pocket above the battery, molded into the battery cover on the left side of the trunk.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'd always planned on buying like a civic first to learn on... but then the perfect car was up for sale and the timing was just right so being completely unable to drive the car seemed a small problem haha I did a practice drive in my friend's beetle and he approved me to drive her home. The lotus was a different beast but I figured her out eventually. I'd only been dreaming of her for like 7 years and religiously studying everything lotus for 2 :)

And thanks for the explanations. Round two of find the trunk release begins now...

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
2. using on-ramps when other people are there... they just don't seem to understand how fast those things are meant to be taken.
Get to know your car really well before you decide to take the ramps too fast. Yes, these cars have very high limits, but they DO have limits, and if you are not used to driving a car like this it can bite you big time.

A lot of ramps are decreasing radius. When you go in too fast and the turn tightens, or if for any reason you feel you need to slow down quickly in the midst of a turn, the impulse is to quickly lift off the throttle. Do that and you could very well kill your car. Weight/momentum shifts, next thing you know you're spinning into a curb, guard rail or worse. The rear weight bias of the Exige exacerbates this.

Take it easy until you've got shifting down, and until you really get a feel for what the car can/cannot do. If you can't do driving school, nothing will help you understand your car and its limits, relatively safely, better than autocrossing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I am correct in assuming that it would be my former beauty, I am sorry I did not go over those details with you. I always forget about all of the odd little nuances about the Lotus, and before you know it, it will become second nature to you!

I'm very happy you are enjoying yourself! I'm sure I'll see you driving around! And please feel free to contact me with any questions.

If, by some odd chance, you aren't who I think you are, congrats on the new car! :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha she is your former beauty! I had forgotten I never actually posted in your for sale thread or told you my forum name! I'm taking good care of her now, and I'm good enough at driving now to feel absolutely horrible about the way I treated her that first day haha

And no worries, thanks again for everything! don't worry, i was going to ask you next, but this community had my back :)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
once you fully learn no way you want to drive automatic again. I hate, hate, hate automatics. my daily is auto (didn't have a choice), but i swear it is the last auto tranny car I'll get.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
once you fully learn no way you want to drive automatic again. I hate, hate, hate automatics. my daily is auto (didn't have a choice), but i swear it is the last auto tranny car I'll get.
I AGREE! I have two cars with PADDLE shifters and they are ok but really nothing gives you the same engaged feel as a real manual transmission where hand and feet are working together.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Congratulations! There is a learning curve, but the cars are so much fun. Nice thread title by the way.

·
He's on fire!
3,287 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Congrats!

Now please drive this car carefully. Honestly its not a great car for a beginner. Assuming you had driven manual transmission cars for 20 years, it is still an unforgiving car when it comes to mistakes. So be safe out there!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
krypton green is best green!

Figured I should add a picture to this thread just because... everything is always better with pictures? haha here's a nice fall picture of her taken at a nearby forest preserve. Sorry about the lack of focus around her butt, i took it with my iPhone =/ will post better picture one day once i get them from the other camera

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Please avoid the urge to do a "visual gag", Krypton Green with a Superman sticker in the rear windshield.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please avoid the urge to do a "visual gag", Krypton Green with a Superman sticker in the rear windshield.
haha that thought had never even crossed my mind... until now! just kidding, I'd never do that. only fellow owners and enthusiasts would get it, anyways :/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts