The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Vendor
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its Alive! Big SC Power in the BWR Solo National Champ XP Car!

We've been working with DRS to build a motor for the XP Car. The goal was to strengthen the motor's internals and valvetrain while trying some other things to improve power and driveability. Additionally, we wanted to get the motor to rev on short bursts to 9000rpm.

Here is the setup:
Stock 2ZZ block
lightened crank about 4lbs with knife edge.
Mahle coated race pistons milled to give stock 11.5:1 compression
Forged Rods
Piper Race cams(just to try them0
Custom DRS headwork and valves with Eibach valve springs
Variable CAM timing with EFI ECU.
CircuitWorks Oilpump gear.
Ultimately a 5.5" quartermaster custom clutch(Reducing rotating mass by 10lbs! and reduces moment of inertia to improve acceleration & braking) These dynos are with the previous clutch setup.

Same Twin-Screw SC setup as before with the same pulley.

These are early results as the tuning is VERY preliminary. Note the huge torque gains down low. Obviously power is sufficient, however it falls on its face above 7800. I think this is tuning. The fuel we are using(VP C12) burns very slowly, probably too slowly for this motor, so it takes alot of timing up top to get power. Probably need to play with more timing. Alternatively the Piper Race cams could be floating, though that seems unlikely at only 7800 with stiffer springs and lighter valves. More to come.

Big thanks to Kris and DRS for turning this around quickly and providing the advice and expertise on the build.

This is a big pickup on power and torque on stock compression w/ ~15psi boost.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
I've seen Kris working on this car at DRS...it is simply a monster!

I know Kris did a lot of custom work with your engine...could you give us a general breakdown as to what modifications have given you that much power and torque?
I know his ported custom headwork alone will add about 25 hp alone....

·
Vendor
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen Kris working on this car at DRS...it is simply a monster!

I know Kris did a lot of custom work with your engine...could you give us a general breakdown as to what modifications have given you that much power and torque?
I know his ported custom headwork alone will add about 25 hp alone....
The mod list is at the top. He did do the custom valves, which are the same size by less neck profile and lighter. The biggest thing is the twin-screw blower, head, and new VVT control on the EFI.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Piper stage 2 or stage 3?

MONSTER POWER!!! :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Vendor
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frack Me, I want 250 ft lbs of Torque.. You need to do a 1/4 mile run if for nothing more than to get a time slip. I would love to see what it can do in it's current configuration.

Edit: Next engine needs to be stroked to 2.0 liter.. :evil:
Someone's been watching BSG. I think the trans is too fragile to try the drag-strip. Need to work on that. I don't want to use that heavier box for weight reasons, so maybe different gear set etc. Additionally, it is so NOT legal for NHRA drag racing. I kept the 1.8L for weight limits for auto-x. Otherwise, yeah stroking it makes alot of sense.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Someone's been watching BSG. I think the trans is too fragile to try the drag-strip. Need to work on that. I don't want to use that heavier box for weight reasons, so maybe different gear set etc. Additionally, it is so NOT legal for NHRA drag racing. I kept the 1.8L for weight limits for auto-x. Otherwise, yeah stroking it makes alot of sense.
Love BSG...

What supercharger and other toys do you have on the car at the moment?

·
Vendor
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love BSG...

What supercharger and other toys do you have on the car at the moment?
1.6L Lysholm, Big TB(BWR), Big 2Bular header, 3" straight through exhaust is about it....

·
Vendor
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So Kris from DRS came out to Phoenix and worked his MOJO. We connected the manifold pressure reference to the fuel pressure regulator and re-tuned. Additionally we corrected the PID on the variable cam timing with values TurboPhil worked out. Water pump puked about 2 hours from getting done so it was slower after that. The real credit here goes to Kris on his headwork and tuning. Remember this car is only running 15lbs of boost on stock compression with Piper Race cams AND subtract about 35-45HP as belt and blower losses. The cams and head clearly are very happy combination. Way to go Kris at DRS.:bow:

387 RWHP and 259RWTQ on a MUSTANG!!!!!!

Lastly, the guys at Mynes Performance in Mesa were very accomodating. Highly recommended if you need dyno or performance work in Phoenix to see Mike at Mynes.

Attachments

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Bump on the cams

Piper stage 2 or 3?

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Way to go guys. Mighty fine numbers and a nice looking torque curve for sure!!!!:clap:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts