The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took Wedgie for her first excursion around the neighborhood. She ran super nice! Wow!

So the last couple weeks have been chaos. Figured out the coolant leak problem, but when I started the car it wasnt running well. Thought it needed a valve adjustment, but it required special tools that I dont have.

So I got hold of another X1/9 owner who had the tools and shims, and he drove 200 miles to help me out :)

After about 5 minutes of work, he gave me bad news. My race cam was ground too much for the tappet shims that were available. Couldnt get a shim thick enough. To fix it, I would need longer valve stems (no way, I've already pulled the head off too many times lately). Otherwise, there was too much slop and I risked spitting a valve shim which could have destroyed cam, valves, pistons, etc. Not so good!

So the cam had to come off! So yesterday and today I took Wedgie apart, again! Waited for my dad to bring a spare stock cam from LA (atleast I own lots of spares :D), and various gaskets. Pieced it all back together today, adjusted the valves (as my friend left his tools with me :D), and started her up!

Wow! What a difference! The engine sounded wonderful. Very very smooth (that engine balancing stuff really works), and revved beautifully. Idled great too. The cam made all the difference.

So I'm back to stock cam, ported head, ANZA exhaust, and stock carb (until its broken in when I'll put the dual downdraft webbers on :D)

Yay!!! :clap:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Cool. I wondered how your project was going when I saw a red X1/9 in Fairbanks recently. Glad to hear you're on the road at last.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
CONGRATS! (again...)

I know the feeling... I drove my 2nd Elan around the block this weekend. It's the first time the car has been outta my garage in 13 years. I bought the car in '91 in boxes - completely apart. Engine was in about 5 boxes and body bits in plastic bags.

According to the DMV the last time the car was registered was in 1988. So, after 16 years of non-op & a 13 restoration job it's back on the road! WooooHOooooo! :D

The garage will be VERY full of Lotus this fall with the arrival of my Elise... Anyone know how to get 2 Elans, an Elise and Formula B car in a 2 car garage? Thinking about getting a 4 post lift.

Cheers!
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is awesome Kiyoshi! Congrats!!! I hope to see your elan someday! How wonderful that must make you feel. Such a sense of relief...a signal that the end is near, finally!

Unfortunetly I wont be driving up to Crystal Cove next week, I'll be in SF over the weekend. Perhaps the following weekend before Monterey.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I know the feeling... I drove my 2nd Elan around the block this weekend. It's the first time the car has been outta my garage in 13 years. I bought the car in '91 in boxes - completely apart. Engine was in about 5 boxes and body bits in plastic bags.
I remember seeing that car way back when. By the way, how is the 41 doing?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Congratulations!

I remember seeing pictures of the empty engine bay when it was painted. Do you have any new pics of the car now that it's "alive"? :)

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
mike.griese said:
I remember seeing that car way back when. By the way, how is the 41 doing?
Hey Mike!
The 41 is next... have got to collect a few more bits and get the Elan de-bugged.

When's your Elise coming in?

Cheers!
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
I'll be in SF over the weekend. Perhaps the following weekend
before Monterey.
Let us know if you've got some free time while in the area. Should be able to get some Club111 folks together.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
603 Posts
Kiyoshi wrote:

When's your Elise coming in?
I'm hoping it's in the first group of LSS cars. I was #2 on the list at Downtown Jaguar in Minneapolis right behind the dealer demo. The dealer car has LSS, too...

Late August??

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll take some pics later today.

I have a question for you all. So, the Italiano does not require that the car be in concourse condition. Well, right now, its not looking even in road condition. I've got patches of primer all over every body panel (except the hood). I thought I could atleast even out the primer (cover the whole of the car), either with gray or black primer, and take it to the show as is. Atleast the engine bay is pretty :)

Do you think I'll be denied entrance? It's $50 for me + a guest (which has already been paid) if I go in with the car. Otherwise its $100/person. Yipes! The rules only ask that the car is clean. I cant get a decent paint job in time, but I really really want to go. I've missed it for too many years.

Little Bastard and I have had this debate, and he thinks its a bad idea. I, frankly, dont care that the car is partially primered...its a work in progress!

So the question is, should I go with the car as is?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Well, if the primer is evened out, sure, go for it! I think they'll let you in. Not all cars there are in beautiful shape, though they DO typically have a coat of paint on them. ;) I've seen Lancias and Fiats that were a little rough around the edges at that show before. I imagine your engine compartment will be beautiful and help make up for the primer.

You could work out a backup plan if you were concerned about getting in - plan on getting there first thing, so if you get rejected, you can make arrangements with cars coming down for the corral that have empty seats (and hence free admission). Assuming I get my Elise, I probably won't be bringing a passenger, and know of at least two other cars that could maybe take one person each. The Corral and show cars are being directed in via a different road than spectators, so you could also just camp out there with a creative sign asking for a ride to the show.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
MW

Prime it - gray, black, red, whatever and then paint a large white circles on the sides with a big number. It's a race car with a 100/100 paint job (looks GREAT at 100mph from 100ft away!).

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wedgie wrote:

I have a question for you all. So, the Italiano does not require that the car be in concourse condition. Well, right now, its not looking even in road condition. I've got patches of primer all over every body panel (except the hood). I thought I could atleast even out the primer (cover the whole of the car), either with gray or black primer, and take it to the show as is. Atleast the engine bay is pretty
I would think there would be someone at the Concorso registration address who would be able to answer your questions. They would be a better resource than any of us.

On the other hand, I like Kiyoshi's idea. After all, paint adds weight...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Hi Lillie -

Might be interesting for the X-1/9 enthusiasts, to see the car this year "rough" and then (hopefully) next year or two "finished" ? So I'd say, go for it, but try to clean it up as much as possible...

Lillie and Robert and others down here in SoCal, as of about 2 weeks ago the Crystal Cove gathering has been relocated, at least officially, to a location in the Dana Point/Laguna Niguel area (just east of the Ritz Carlton Resort hotel), right off PCH. This was because the local residents overlooking Crystal Cove complained about the noise (at least that's the story I heard) - also some of the merchants didn't like it, I think. Weekend before last I rode by the Crystal Cove location around 9 and some folks were still there, but I think mostly these were people who hadn't heard about the change. IMO this is a shame, because the Crystal Cove location was really convienient for lots of people (especially me and my buds 'cuz it was on our regular Saturday bike ride route :p !)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Mike, thanks for the update on CC. That's just dumb.

MW, a friend of mine once totally restored one side of a bike, and didn't touch the other side. It was very cool, because it went from a perfect bike to a piece of crap, depending on which side you were viewing it from.

If the X1/9 has all of the bad bits on one side, you might just primer that half, and spend a bit of time cleaning up the other. That would look pretty cool on the wedge's dramatic shape.
Of course as a former X1/9 owner, I can imagine that all of the rust wasn't limited to one side of the car :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I say bring what you've got, Lillie! (BTW, Congrats on the running Wedgie!) Heck, Fiats rust if you sneeze on them, so I'm sure there will be plenty that have some sort of repair on them.

Personally, I wouldn't rush a paint job (not that you were going to anyway.) And I wouldn't layer-up the paint with more primer. Finishing the body is the most time-consuming part of a repaint. Laying down paint is one of the fastest part of the job. If you layer too much primer on there, it makes it a bit tougher to knock it all down and get a smooth, even surface. With primer, it's pretty hard to find peaks/valleys in paint... but once you've painted it and it's glossy, you'll see them instantly.

Have fun at the Concourso Italiano!

Bob

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Wedgie,

What year is the X1/9?

Mikey

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
'74...first US model year. However, I've hacked at it a bit by placing a 1500cc motor and 5-speed tranny! But the body is true to form.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts