The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
That's a drag. But no suprise. I'd remove all of the letters with a hairdryer. Use one of those citrus based cleaners to remove any adhesive residue or 3M adhesive remover.

Go to your local sign shop and get them to make you a similar one with black film. Make sure they round the corners on each letter so there are no sharp corners. I'd also make each letter a bit bigger. Insure they are using automotive grade film. Black weathers quite well and will look bitchin' on your car.

Or just replace it with the Lotus logo to match your nose badge.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
LOL. sorry to hear that.

Alan's (biobaggie) elise was going through the same thing. Or just starting to, except his was the "elise" sticker. I made a joke about putting some of the 3M on there to hold it in place. Maybe you can try that? Putting small starshield squares over the letters and a rectangle over the "elise."

·
Registered
389 Posts
shinoo said:
Or just replace it with the Lotus logo to match your nose badge.
Where is the 'hurl' emoticon? :p

You can order replacement letters (genuine Lotus ones). Mine never came off before. I reckon if you put new ones on they'd stay put. :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I almost look forward to the day that they start to peel.......I will remove them and not replace.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
They are put on with the same adhesive that is holding your chassis together:D

·
Registered
485 Posts
wallabyguy said:
I wonder if they're covered by the 3/36,000 mile?:D
I will have to read our warranty but they should be covered under some type of adjustment period. This is something that definately does need to be looked into.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Don't what you guys are doing with your cars, I'm well over 3k, wash it weekly, it's been waxed and my letters look and stick as good as new.
Chris:)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zvezdah1 said:
Don't what you guys are doing with your cars, I'm well over 3k, wash it weekly, it's been waxed and my letters look and stick as good as new.
Chris:)
Not sure what one could do to get them to come off like this other then trying to do it. I also hope you have some wood laying around to knock on :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
our ELISE was already coming off before we left the dealership. I plan to get one of each and make extras out of better material.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
ivan1 said:
They are put on with the same adhesive that is holding your chassis together:D
Oh man, that's just mean. :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
As I was removing the polymer sealant from the car with a micro fiber cloth I could feel it grab the letters. I don't think they will last long at all. No big loss though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Shinoo- How 'bout some nice chrome or polished ALUMINUM replacement letters? Or black anodized for the lighter-colored cars?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
DCNSX said:
Shinoo- How 'bout some nice chrome or polished ALUMINUM replacement letters? Or black anodized for the lighter-colored cars?
That's not a bad idea, ala Land Rover hood lettering. I was thinking of that washing my car this weekend.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Do you have to drill for the OEM badges?

My 'T' is wrinkled. (wincing in anticipation of the jokes...)

Cade

edit... checked the website... no drill. thanks!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
It might not be a bad idea to make sure all of the edges are firmly adherent before anything peels. Don't use a porter cable machine back there either. When I picked up my Elise I went over each letter carefully and they are still fine 5,000 miles later.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My "S" started peeling off too, I took it back to LOA and they replaced it, no problem since then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts