The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my elise for three weeks and i can not get over the obsession people have with this car. It reminds me of nsx owners. tracking every bit of info. Who moded what etc,etc. Lets face it its just a toy car. nothing more .nothing less. This is not a daily driver nor does it pretend to be. Its a go cart with a body kit. Lets enjoy it and when the hoopla goes away there will be plenty available.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Jim, I got a real taste of what it is like when driving away from SEMA last night. We decided to go down Las Vegas Blvd. Wow, the reactions were insane.

I wondered if you had experienced the same thing.

P.S. Just left you a voicemail to call me. :)

·
Banned
270 Posts
Took my new Elise, 148 miles on it, down to Kamaole Beach today to visit with the Life Guards, they've worked for me in the past. Within fifteen minutes there was literally a crowd of some 15 people gathered around it. Kind of pleasant, kind of a nuisance. I have already started the Maui Elise Club, only one member, and I'm not charging myself dues.

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel
Man that LSS is a backbreaker, hope it doesn't break the car

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Well I must be a nut case since I DRIVE MY CAR DAILY. This car is no toy. It's european. It helps you realize how "out of hand" we americans have become.

That said, I am amazed almost everday at the reactions to the car. I pulled up tonight to the Outback to drop off my wife to put our name in and practically emptied the bar. I had people following me through the parking lot to find out more about the car. One guy actually thought the car was "a new mercedes". I hope he meant the McClaren thing because short of that I'm a bit offended.:D

I drove through Doylestown Boro, for those of you who know the area of Pennsylvania, and had kids on skateboards follow me down the street. They yelled out all sorts of compliments. One kid at a light just sat the making growning sounds, mouth partially open, apparently drooling. These reactions don't bother me and if I'm in a position to do so, I'll let people sit in the car and talk with them about it.

Now what pisses me off are the punk kids in ricer hondas thinking they got something and doing dangerous and stupid crap while drving around me. I have to add Boxster drivers to that group as well (Jac, you're excused) since lately they're up to the same crap.

·
Banned
270 Posts
Anyone have reactions to the LSS. It's absolutely brutal over here, may switch back over to stock. Then again, I am kind of starting to like it.

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel
In need of a spinal alignment

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
Not only is he a member, but the President as well.
The Hale Club for Men?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the sport pack here in back bay boston - roads are bumpy as hell and i dont' mind it at all - it's stiff as crap of course but its so fun on the non pot hole roads :)

its not so bad that i can't take it and its what i'd expect from a real "sports car"

id' also like to add the sport wheels are incredibly strong - i've hit one or two bumps that i was sure would bend a rim and they've been great

i'm totally impressed

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
wallabyguy said:
Well I must be a nut case since I DRIVE MY CAR DAILY. This car is no toy. It's european. It helps you realize how "out of hand" we americans have become.

Daily driver most definately, it should be at least a misdemeanor not to drive this car daily!;)

Chris

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have driven a lot of different cars but this one gets the most reaction (well maybe a tie with the Caterham 7) of any car I have owned. I can't fill the car up with gas without having some kind of discussion about what it is and who makes it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Follow up.
I am a memeber of the local Porsche club and we had a meet yesterday. I took several memebers for a "ride". needless to say the reactions were very positive. When the engine hits the cams and your shifting at 7800 rpms its a whole lot of fun. One of the female members says 'Its vibrating my arse" How do i respond to that?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re: Its just a car!!!

jplotus said:
I have had my elise for three weeks and i can not get over the obsession people have with this car. It reminds me of nsx owners. tracking every bit of info. Who moded what etc,etc. Lets face it its just a toy car. nothing more .nothing less. This is not a daily driver nor does it pretend to be. Its a go cart with a body kit. Lets enjoy it and when the hoopla goes away there will be plenty available.
I recoment you sell the car to someone who will worship it, like most of us here do!

Adam P

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: Its just a car!!!

jplotus said:
Lets face it its just a toy car. nothing more .nothing less. This is not a daily driver nor does it pretend to be.
Well actually, it is more - it's a race car for the road. :) I don't know why you wouldn't want to drive it every day. Are you a man or a merican? :D

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Most people buying this machine are gearhead drivers.
We like cars.
It's just a car, but a special one when it runs right:D
i'm on several forums for other marques of car

But I reckon while we may be obsessed about the car, it is merely the catalyst for this forum.
Most of us may only have this machine in common as a source of social approach, as most don't know others here by sight.
So via this forum you get :
info and technical support on your car.
a couch for preserving your mental health.
place for expression on car stuff or other.

In other parts of the world, an Elise or even a motorbike is often the only source of transportation, due to the higher cost of ownership and much less space.
m

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I was driving on an empty, curvy road yesterday near the dragon's tail. There was a lot of room for error so I decided to try a nice drift. I threw the car into the corner and the back end swung out. I was in the cams and kept the throttle to the floor. The rear hung out perfectly and I drifted through the entire corner with a precision that made me realize that this is a very special car.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I also have induced oversteer by purposely going too fast on a turn on a wide road late at night, and I was shocked at how easy it was to recover by steering into the slide and stepping on it. I do think those of us who grew up in RWD cars will have a much better time handling this car. I remember playing these games in my first car ('67 Firebird) only there was no recovery except to wait for the ride to end. :( This is such an amazing car!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Lots of folks who grew up with FWD cars bought S2000s and spun, spun spun. That car, especially the early versions has some snap oversteer issues. Honda wound up changing the car around as it has evolved. Our car has less of this characteristic than the S2K...in our car just avoid the sudden throttle lifts when you entered a turn too hot and you won't have oversteer issues. Do a partial lift and drive through it. If the rear gets loose steer into it and keep some throttle on.

Even if you are not into racing, doing an autocross or two would really help folks learn the car. You can push harder than you can at a track day as the speeds are so much lower and there is basically nothing to hit. Autocross has a better safety rating than street driving. That way you can try stuff out and get a feel for the car's behavior at the limit in a safe, fun manner.

If you can't do that some time on a wet parking lot would pay dividends.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
My Dad used to take me to the KMart parking lot on snowy/icy nights and teach me to handle slides that way. Basically I was learning like at an autoX, only I didn't know it. After enough tries with analysis on what I was doing wrong each run, I got it. I should do more of this with my kids.

I have actually struggled with FWD cars because you must treat them very differently in slides. That actually took some time to learn...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts