The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are too damn slow and there isnt an aftermarket for them. I recently sold my wife's WRX 2.0 turbo and thought about the fact that the Porsche motors are similar.

Does anyone know if it would be feasible to put an ej20 in a boxster? If so what transmission could be used? Im looking for a new project soon.:coolnana:

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
When the Boxters first came out, I immediately got on the waiting list. After driving one, I bought an M3. Then I got on the Boxter S list. Drove it. Bought another M3.

I just went out and drove a Cayman S. Nice car. I think I'll pass, since there are Subarus with more power than that. I honestly don't know how Porsche sells any cars at all. I have the money to buy one, I always wanted one, and I spend stupid amounts of money on cars. But not even I'm dumb enough to shell out that kind of cash for something with that kind of performance. I think I'll buy a Noble instead.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
When the Boxters first came out, I immediately got on the waiting list. After driving one, I bought an M3. Then I got on the Boxter S list. Drove it. Bought another M3.

I just went out and drove a Cayman S. Nice car. I think I'll pass, since there are Subarus with more power than that. I honestly don't know how Porsche sells any cars at all. I have the money to buy one, I always wanted one, and I spend stupid amounts of money on cars. But not even I'm dumb enough to shell out that kind of cash for something with that kind of performance. I think I'll buy a Noble instead.
The Cayman S is purposely detuned to not cannibalize the 911.

I don't think it really matters it "only" has 295hp. A few mods and it's easily pushing 320-340. It's more about the handling which, frankly, is just about as good as it gets for a car that's also very comfortable.

I would rather drive a CS over any Subaru. I don't care how powerful it is. The Subaru does not have a fraction of the feel of the CS.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
The Cayman S is purposely detuned to not cannibalize the 911.

I don't think it really matters it "only" has 295hp. A few mods and it's easily pushing 320-340. It's more about the handling which, frankly, is just about as good as it gets for a car that's also very comfortable.

I would rather drive a CS over any Subaru. I don't care how powerful it is. The Subaru does not have a fraction of the feel of the CS.
True, but I've met a lot or Caymans on the track, they just aren't very fast at all.

Look, my point is not that they aren't great cars or that a Subaru is better, Nobody would say that. I'm just saying for the price of a 911, for instance, you can buy a new M3 and a Subaru. I drove a 911 S and a Cayman and they just are NOT worth the money. At least not to me. Instead of buying Porsches in the last 10 years, I've bought two M3's and a Lotus and I think I've gotten much more bang for the buck, that's all.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, but I've met a lot or Caymans on the track, they just aren't very fast at all.

Look, my point is not that they aren't great cars or that a Subaru is better, Nobody would say that. I'm just saying for the price of a 911, for instance, you can buy a new M3 and a Subaru. I drove a 911 S and a Cayman and they just are NOT worth the money. At least not to me. Instead of buying Porsches in the last 10 years, I've bought two M3's and a Lotus and I think I've gotten much more bang for the buck, that's all.
But what IMMMM saying is id like to have a great handling mid engine porsche with the available power from the subby. Wouldnt that be a win/win? 986's are cheap nowa days...you can find one for 10-15k.

·
Registered
676 Posts
A little over a year ago we rented a Cayman (because the Lotus was in the shop.. grr) and I wasn't terribly impressed with it's power either.. The ride was decent, and handling superb on the Texas hill country roads.. But it didn't give you the kick in the pants feeling that many other similarly powered sports cars have.

At least there was room for wine in the boot.. :)

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
But what IMMMM saying is id like to have a great handling mid engine porsche with the available power from the subby. Wouldnt that be a win/win? 986's are cheap nowa days...you can find one for 10-15k.
My comments are confined to new cars.

I'm a huge Porsche fan. Really I am. I salivate at the very thought of a GT3 or 911 turbo. Just not at $135,000, that's all. I also think it's foolish of them not to make a Cayman turbo that will out-do a 911. The cars are just made for different people. If they had, my money would have be going into Porsches, not BMWs.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Have you considered a turbo Elise. I hear they're great!

-poke-
I hear the motors on those blow up though *-poke-
Only when you get them airborne. :D

Oh, and if you factor in the price of my Elise, with the turbo and other mods, it's still cheaper than a Cayman and goes 0-60 in less than 4 seconds (when it's running, that is:shrug:).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It's funny how some people put down Porsches. I'll admint I'm not the best driver out there, but I can track and do better than many people, but if you ride with someone that knows how to drive a Porsche, you'd be shocked at how these cars can eat any suby or m3 you may own.
I rode on a bone stock 996 at 130 on a turn on ramp and the car stuck to the ground, I was shocked. He one night took the car on an open road and took a pic of the speedo while doing 187 mph. on a straight dark empty highway, no headlights on site, no endangering others.
It does take more skill to squeeze the max of these cars more than others.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
They are too damn slow and there isnt an aftermarket for them.
Techart, Gemballa, 9ff, Ruf, Edo, Sportec, Roock, Hamann...

Just google anything with Renn or Werks and you'll have a shop that does Porsche. You didn't try hard if you thought that there's no aftermarket for any Porsche.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Techart, Gemballa, 9ff, Ruf, Edo, Sportec, Roock, Hamann...

Just google anything with Renn or Werks and you'll have a shop that does Porsche. You didn't try hard if you thought that there's no aftermarket for any Porsche.

And you dont read very well if you thought I was referring to all Porsche.

"Ive always liked boxsters.....but they are too damn slow and there isnt an aftermarket for them"

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
but if you ride with someone that knows how to drive a Porsche, you'd be shocked at how these cars can eat any suby or m3 you may own.
Yes, at two to three times the price, it should!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
back to the op,
i'm sure a scooby flat four would fit as the general archtecture is the same, however you'd probably need to find a way to hook it up to a boxster gearbox. the biggest downfalls i can see is air management for cooling and finding room for the intercoolers, especially as it seems like you'd like to tune the flat 4 (as a stock one only has a few bhp more than a boxster/cayman s). the evo has a large front area and the hood scoop (that i believe feeds directly into the engine), the boxster only has the front bumper opening and the two (small) rear fender openings.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My comments are confined to new cars.

I'm a huge Porsche fan. Really I am. I salivate at the very thought of a GT3 or 911 turbo. Just not at $135,000, that's all. I also think it's foolish of them not to make a Cayman turbo that will out-do a 911. The cars are just made for different people. If they had, my money would have be going into Porsches, not BMWs.
Go on the Cayman site they are constantly waiting, talking and hoping for a Cayman Turbo or a Cayman RS. I own a Cayman S and will be getting an Elise SC next spring. I will be keeping the Porsche . . . different cars for different uses. I can more easily go on vacation with the Porsche with it's 14.5 cuft of trunk space.
I have a friend that bought a 2007 GT3 in May 2008. If you can find one selling for 135k buy it. He shopped for ever it seems and ended up spending 156k for his 07 with 2k miles on it.
I drove a boxster in 1998 but bought an E36 M3.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yes they do make aftermarket stuff for the Boxster, they make turbo kits and twin turbo kits, they are expensive, but that holds true for any Porsche upgrade.

Engine upgrades...
TTP Turbo Tuning Pietz GmbH

They also make a Top to turn the Boxster into a look alike Caymen
ZEINTEC USA - ZEINTOP HARDTOP FOR PORSCHE BOXSTER AND BOXSTER S
Porsche also makes a hardtop for the Boxster. I don't know anyone who ever bought one. The Cayman Club site has a Boxster section with lots of mods for the Boxster. There are exhaust mods that will add 25hp to the 3.4L Boxster S motor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've heard a number of people taking the older 3.4 liter 996 engine and transplanting them into a boxster. apparently it makes for quite an excellent track car if sorted and done properly.

honestly though, it's not all about power. I've seen well driven boxsters hold there own at the track - not to mention some boxster S's that can wipe the floor with most other cars. Say what you will about Porsches, but there are very few cars that can match them on track. As someone mentioned earlier it just takes a bit more to get the most out of them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts