The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
I test drove a V8 Vantage last saturday and was right near the edge of saying "screw it, I'm getting me an Aston," but with Abe's new store and loaner program avail, I might yet give the Evora another chance. Prior to the Vantage, I drove the F-type v6s and v8s back to back, they were great, louder, more responsive than the aston, but something about the vantage that holds it above the jags in every way. As it stand, Evora > V8 Vantage > Jags.... but my gosh, that picture you posted is absolute stunning.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would still like an Aston someday but we have no dealer in town. I can only deal with 1 car with no dealer in town.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
...now Aston Martin has released a new version of the Vantage V8 that starts under $100k!

Aston Martin - Vantage GT

That could cause me to seriously rethink my plans...
Oh my, that is one great looking car! Does it come in a stick? I drove the V8 Vantage a few years ago and loved it! It was just way too expensive.
Ron

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have a Vantage in the family in addition to the Evora. It is a nice car but is much more of a GT car. The driving experience to me is akin to a nicer M3. It is closer to a Gran Turismo to me. Some people would prefer that, others wouldn't.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it come in a stick?
Yes! That's a big part of what makes the Vantage so appealing to me.

I have a Vantage in the family in addition to the Evora. It is a nice car but is much more of a GT car. The driving experience to me is akin to a nicer M3. It is closer to a Gran Turismo to me. Some people would prefer that, others wouldn't.
I don't think I'd mind something a bit more GT-ish than an Evora, but Car & Driver says that the new Vantage GT "rides on a sport suspension tuned closely to that of the Vantage S" so it sounds like it may be a bit more sporty in its handling than the standard Vantage.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
I test drove a V8 Vantage last saturday and was right near the edge of saying "screw it, I'm getting me an Aston," but with Abe's new store and loaner program avail, I might yet give the Evora another chance. Prior to the Vantage, I drove the F-type v6s and v8s back to back, they were great, louder, more responsive than the aston, but something about the vantage that holds it above the jags in every way. As it stand, Evora > V8 Vantage > Jags.... but my gosh, that picture you posted is absolute stunning.
Of course that Vantage will be the slowest of the 3 IMHO. Look at last month's Motor Trend right up

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yes! That's a big part of what makes the Vantage so appealing to me.

I don't think I'd mind something a bit more GT-ish than an Evora, but Car & Driver says that the new Vantage GT "rides on a sport suspension tuned closely to that of the Vantage S" so it sounds like it may be a bit more sporty in its handling than the standard Vantage.
Handling still isn't up there with the Evora even with the S suspension IMO but for normal street driving it isn't noticeable and is infinitely more comfortable. Manual gearbox is much better than the Evora as well again IMO.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
a 2008 V8V was on my short list when I bought my Evora. Very nice car. Unfortunately for the Vantage the dealer had 3 new Evora in stock and suggested a test drive. Never looked back after the test drive.
But at the $100K price point I think I might be able to see a Aston in my future to add to the stable in about 3-5 years.
Still love the looks and sound of the Vantage. Pure class and style

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I guess I'd need to know about the reliability of said cars.

I know Astons are worshipped upon by 'enthusiasts', but am I the only car guy that just doesn't love them?

I like them, but I don't love them. Anyone else with me?

For me, the Rapide (a 4 door 'family' car) is their best looking vehicle.

But then again, THIS is an Aston I can fall in love with:

Or even the Rapide Shooting Brake concept - of course, if the gold lame slathered model comes with it....

·
Registered
406 Posts
Considering the 2006 Vantage's have dipped into the 40k range, and current 2010 Vantages are in the 90k range, it will be really interesting to see how this kills the used market for Astons. I look forward to picking up a '10 in a couple years for 50k. It's going to be interesting following the used car market and seeing existing cars fall flat on their face for resale.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Man that color scheme just looks terrible to me. Black is the only color I would want it in (please dont get the superman combo aka mariana blue on red). But Vantages have always and probably will be iconic cars

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I didn't realize they had fallen so low. Funny - great auto blogger guy Doug DeMuro (on Jalopnik) did a whole article on how driving a USED luxury/exotic makes people think you are a baller.

Every time I see an Aston, I usually think I am looking at big hitter. Probably because, to the untrained eye, a 5 year old like mine, a 5 year old Aston looks just like a new one. Translation: they both look like Jaguars! :). Didn't realize that the 'baller' I'm looking at in the Aston probably paid less for his car then I did for my S4 or my neighbor did for his 5 series.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I love the look of the Vantage. Of all of the current cars out there it just has a classic look to it. Sure there are other cars out there that are faster and handle better, but the Aston would be a great car for a road trip.

I play the 'what would I buy with $50-60k' game every few months. In the end there are a ton of fun options out there. For me it'd be between the Vantage and Evora, although at this point in my life I'd lean more towards the Lotus. I crossed over from the Porsche world and don't see myself going back. Not a Corvette guy either. In the end I'm just happy that there are some fun niche cars out there that are reasonably affordable.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I didn't realize they had fallen so low. Funny - great auto blogger guy Doug DeMuro (on Jalopnik) did a whole article on how driving a USED luxury/exotic makes people think you are a baller.

Every time I see an Aston, I usually think I am looking at big hitter. Probably because, to the untrained eye, a 5 year old like mine, a 5 year old Aston looks just like a new one. Translation: they both look like Jaguars! :). Didn't realize that the 'baller' I'm looking at in the Aston probably paid less for his car then I did for my S4 or my neighbor did for his 5 series.
So, they're following Maserati's strategy on a lower cost model to boost volume? Good for them.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
I'd love to unwrap that gold.........

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Just talking today it's about time to let go of the Evora, but not sure for what. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Just me but those Aston's and Ford's all have such similar looking noses to me. Not my style. If not an Evora I'd have gone for the new Corvette I think.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Gorgeous and tempting. My dealer say that Aston owners usually bring them back in about 2 years and go for something else. Makes me wonder...... That does look fun!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I nearly got an Aston Vantage before the Evora. It was slightly used and aroudn the same price - I think they're gorgeous, but the lithe sexiness fo the Evora and the way it drives won me over. Plus the Evora is rarer, althought the Aston scores more points for sheer wow factor when you tell people you have an Aston.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts