The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a number of how to's regarding putting the elise on stands, so I know how to do it, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on specific jacks and jack stands that work best with the elise. I should be getting my car within the next few months and want to have some of the basic tools like jack/stands, torque wrench etc before I take delivery. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Couple threads on this.
FIFW, check out Harbour Freight.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I really like my screw jacks as they give you pretty-much infinite adjustments. I don't remember where I got mine, but they are similar to these.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I bought the "nicest" Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack, $134 I think, works pretty darn well so far, goes up slow enough and can lower well controlled. There is a smaller cheaper one but universal joint on the valve control was really crappy, looked good for <10 uses. For my occasional use I think this will be fine, I jacked the car up to put it on the ramps for an oil change last night. I don't really like the risk factor of backing onto the ramps and slipping the clutch a bit. Lifted one side, suck a 4x4 under the rear wheel, lifted the other side onto the ramp then lifted the 4x4 side onto the ramp, worked great, low risk, my ramps are only 6 or 7 inches high. Make sure you point the ramps in the right direction or you will be disappointed when you are done and drive it off.:eek: And no, I didn't do that....

Jim

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
For jackstands, a lot of us use Torin "Big Red" jack stands. They are aluminum "posts" with a fairly wide base. The advantage of them is that the tops are almost flat to support the flat support points under the Elise. Optionally, it's easy to place hockey pucks on the tops to make a padded top. At least one person drilled nd tapped the top of the jack, and installed a counter sunk bolt into the hockey puck. I just carved out some notches in the bottom of the pucks to fit the small tabs on the top of the jack stand. You can get them on-line, or at Pep-Boys, etc.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The shop that works on my car said they went thru 4 craftsman jacks in the past and and they all broke pre-maturely and Sears won't honor the Craftsman warranty.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Big reds :up:

Look like they were made for the Elise.

Car sits nice and level, even when using the chassis beam under the rear shear panel, so the rear stands are a little more extended.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I'm using a Matco 3 1/2 ton jack (MFJ35A) ... it has a big articulated rubber puck built right in, and can get under the car easily even when the other side is up on stands.

EDIT: Second photo shows the puck under the car... there's about an inch of clearance... my car is stock ride height.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big reds :up:

Look like they were made for the Elise.

Car sits nice and level, even when using the chassis beam under the rear shear panel, so the rear stands are a little more extended.

Bye, Arno.

This seems like what im looking for... do you have a part # or a link? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm using a Matco 3 1/2 ton jack (MFJ35A) ... it has a big articulated rubber puck built right in, and can get under the car easily even when the other side is up on stands.

EDIT: Second photo shows the puck under the car... there's about an inch of clearance... my car is stock ride height.

Thanks, this is probably what I'll go with... either this or the speed deamon (MFJ214) since the elise doesn't really come close to 3 1/2 tons rotfl

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Big Red's FTW! If you have an Elise then you need those stands TADTS

I use a Craftsman low profile "racing" jack. It has a rubber pad built into the large lifting surface :)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Big Red's FTW! If you have an Elise then you need those stands TADTS

looks like ill have to go w/ the big reds :up:

and, excuse my ignorance... but ive been on forums for years and still don't know what FTW means. i saw someone with a tattoo a few years ago that said FTW and he told me it stood for "f*ck the world" :shrug:

·
Registered
159 Posts
looks like ill have to go w/ the big reds :up:

and, excuse my ignorance... but ive been on forums for years and still don't know what FTW means. i saw someone with a tattoo a few years ago that said FTW and he told me it stood for "f*ck the world" :shrug:
I didn't know either. Just Googled it and got:

Well, this peculiar acronym expression stands for "For the Win". It is an expression of enthusiasm. "FTW" is the same as saying "this is the best" or "this item makes a big difference, I recommend using it". Examples would include: "anti-lock braking, ftw!", "spellchecker, ftw!", and "low-carb diets, ftw!"

This FTW expression, like many other internet expressions, is part of online conversation culture. If you want to know more, here are 322 other common Internet expressions explained...More Internet for Beginners Q&A

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I bought the "nicest" Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack, $134 I think, works pretty darn well so far, goes up slow enough and can lower well controlled. There is a smaller cheaper one but universal joint on the valve control was really crappy, looked good for <10 uses.
I have the cheaper HF aluminum jack and it has been bulletproof over four years of frequent use.

For jack stands, I have a set of super-cheap, generic auto store stands with the racheting posts. I threw away the posts and use a hockey puck directly on top of the base. Works well and turns out to be the perfect height.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts