The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, let me say that as usual, Jack's track day was superbly organized and a joy to attend. For those of you in the So Cal area who, for whatever reason haven't run one of Jack's days, you're missing out. I've always felt that the tone any event like this is set by the organizer, and we couldn't be more fortunate to have Jack at the helm. No egos, no pressure, big time encouragement and direction...what more could you ask for? :clap:

There were about 14 of us in attendance today, maybe 8 on the track at a time. We were running config. 13 CW, and it was rare to see another driver more than once or twice a session.

Buttonwillow is a fairly technical track - way more so than Miller - one that shows you how good a driver you are, or, in my case, how much improvement you need. Truthfully, I was lost out there for a while. It's going to be many track days until I really get it. Corners I had the most trouble with - the entry to the bus stop, and the Sweeper. Only after many laps with Quinn, Jack and Co. did I finally realize how much of a gut-check Bus Stop is. If you exit Grapevine correctly, you're carrying a lot of speed into and out of Club Corner - 4th gear flat. The exit is kind of hidden, so you're flat out into the apex on pure faith alone that it will hold and you won't run out of room on the exit. It's kind of the same feeling you get entering turn 8 at willow springs flat out in 5th gear.

The sweeper was harder for me and I don't feel I ever really got it right. I'd compare it to the turn 8/9 transition at Big Willow. There are a couple ways through, but I prefer the pure double apex line Jack takes. Still, it was a bit slippery (for me at least) through the turn, and a bit scary.

Only other major mistake I made was going too hot into Sunset, the last turn. I fought the temptation to save it, and coasted gently into a very forgiving infield, allowing the car to slow considerably before bringing it back on. I can see how the temptation to save it has been very costly over the years, as the car can quickly find itself on the other side of the straightaway in the wall.

Thanks to Quinn, Jack, Tom, and Roy for taking me around and showing me the line. What started as a ~2:30, became a 2:10/14 (I was looking at my watch, so who knows) by the end of the day.

The car couldn't have been set up better by Allen and crew over at Lotus of Beverly Hillls. Oh, and if my Ohlins DA's were women, I'd move to Utah and marry all four.

More to come, including pics when I find my cable for my camera...

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
413 Posts
Oh, and if my Ohlins DA's were women, I'd move to Utah and marry all four.

More to come, including pics when I find my cable for my camera...
:nanner2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts