The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Traqmate and its ChaseCam interface, but I don't have the tach input set up yet... next time. This is a lap of Buttonwillow 13CW from yesterday's Jack day (thanks again, Jack!). Not too bad for my first day at this track config... (note to self: add more entry speed to Riverside!)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JTBLWuN5Z9Q&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JTBLWuN5Z9Q&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

For some reason, the audio seems to get more out of sync as the video progresses... my version of the video is fine; it seems to be a YouTube processing bug.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Awesome analysis tool. Gotta get one of those!

Looks like you have a good raceline and your track time is great for 1st time (or even regardless). Heck, it took me at least 6 times to get down to that time.

You could make more time carrying speed through Bus Stop and Riverside if you didn't slow down so much at Bus Stop entry and push harder at the exit. Riverside's entry pretty much is made in the Bus Stop as I recall. Riverside is also way faster and safer WOT half way through. Keeps the rear glued all the way to top of magic Mtn. It's hard to judge since it's so quiet and no tach, but it sounds like you are feathering the throttle a lot. I like the way craig Stanton says it, "Be all on or all off". When you take ride with him he makes the rear end feel like it's got lead in it. He's either WOT or on the brakes, constantly adjusting the balance on each corner. You can't do that if you're ambivalent about the throttle.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Awesome analysis tool. Gotta get one of those!

Looks like you have a good raceline and your track time is great for 1st time (or even regardless). Heck, it took me at least 6 times to get down to that time.

You could make more time carrying speed through Bus Stop and Riverside if you didn't slow down so much at Bus Stop entry and push harder at the exit. Riverside's entry pretty much is made in the Bus Stop as I recall. Riverside is also way faster and safer WOT half way through. Keeps the rear glued all the way to top of magic Mtn. It's hard to judge since it's so quiet and no tach, but it sounds like you are feathering the throttle a lot. I like the way craig Stanton says it, "Be all on or all off". When you take ride with him he makes the rear end feel like it's got lead in it. He's either WOT or on the brakes, constantly adjusting the balance on each corner. You can't do that if you're ambivalent about the throttle.
Thanks Glen... sounds like good advice; and I'm very impressed with the Traqmate so far... here's a trackmap that was generated by the unit solely from GPS and G-force data... including my braking, cornering, and acceleration zones... at least I wasn't coasting anywhere (except for upshifts).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Nice Andy....Robb and I are at BW this wknd for the SCCA double regional.
Although we are running 1A CCW...should be interesting.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice Andy....Robb and I are at BW this wknd for the SCCA double regional.
Although we are running 1A CCW...should be interesting.
Awesome! Good Luck... I wish BW wasn't 3 hours away... I'd love to check out the SCCA scene and get some good photos and videos...

Another video... next session. Four laps, four victims. :evil:

1) BMW M3
2) Lotus Exige Cup
3) Lotus Elise
4) Porsche Cayman

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NKR04UhU5Vc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NKR04UhU5Vc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
679 Posts
Great video Andy. It was a great day, also thanks again for for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Andy,

Looking good. :up:

Sorry that I never got around to going out with you ... you can definitely shave a few seconds off w/o much difficulty ... we just have to avoid a few early apexs and a higher gear in a couple spots and you'll be doing 2:02's. After that you'll be working on breaking 2:00. ;)

All the best,

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Andy,
What tires are you running? Also - what's the cost for the system you have? Are various sensors available? I have a DL1 that I'd like to put to better use by connecting video, tach, oil pressure, throttle, brake and steering sensors. It's been sitting in its box for many track days just because it's so unentertaining without video integration. Just been too busy to get it all figured out and installed.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Andy,

Looking good. :up:

Sorry that I never got around to going out with you ... you can definitely shave a few seconds off w/o much difficulty ... we just have to avoid a few early apexs and a higher gear in a couple spots and you'll be doing 2:02's. After that you'll be working on breaking 2:00. ;)

All the best,
Thanks Jack... I really wanted to see what I could come up with. Next time I'm going to take you up on the offer. If I could do a 2:02, that would be awesome...

Andy,
What tires are you running? Also - what's the cost for the system you have? Are various sensors available? I have a DL1 that I'd like to put to better use by connecting video, tach, oil pressure, throttle, brake and steering sensors. It's been sitting in its box for many track days just because it's so unentertaining without video integration. Just been too busy to get it all figured out and installed.
I'm running R888 in stock sizes. This is the Traqmate system I bought: Track Systems Online Store

I added a few things, like the ChaseCam interface, dash mount for display, permanent GPS antenna, and upgraded software... about $1700 I think.

Oh yeah, I already had the ChaseCam installed... so that price doesn't include the ChaseCam stuff...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More cool Traqmate analysis... the software automatically divides the track into sectors... you can add, remove, or move sectors and the software recalculates all the data. Shown below are laps from 3 different sessions, in lap time order, including theoretical best laps (TBL) from each session.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Looks awesome Andy...I have to say that data is extremely helpful.

One of my fellow SRF's has an AIM with every sensor on it...He would be able to analyze, e.g., how many feet he was braking in too deep at say the bus stop. We were looking at maintenance throttle, how many tenths of a second his foot was transitioning from throttle to brake, etc....

The most helpful will be when you can overlay a fast guys data on to yours to do direct comparison....Or....just have Brent or Jack drive your car.....you'll get excellent data!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks awesome Andy...I have to say that data is extremely helpful.

One of my fellow SRF's has an AIM with every sensor on it...He would be able to analyze, e.g., how many feet he was braking in too deep at say the bus stop. We were looking at maintenance throttle, how many tenths of a second his foot was transitioning from throttle to brake, etc....

The most helpful will be when you can overlay a fast guys data on to yours to do direct comparison....Or....just have Brent or Jack drive your car.....you'll get excellent data!
Yup, a lot of that data is available with the Traqmate too... speed/accel/decel/cornering vs. time or distance... and of course you can overlay laps or sessions... I need to get the tach input too... as Jack said, I can see that I could be in a lower gear in a few places...

It also seemed to show that my max HP decreased during the day, as it got hotter... if I'm able to install my ductwork by LCS #4, I should be able to see it's effectiveness directly through the Traqmate data...

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Did you check your lateral G's?

On CCW at BW through Riverside, I was pulling around 1.4 G's close to 100 mph

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you check your lateral G's?

On CCW at BW through Riverside, I was pulling around 1.4 G's close to 100 mph
In the SRF or the Elise?

That was my worst segment :eek: As usual, it takes me longer to optimize the high speed sweepers than anywhere else... I was hitting 1.5-1.6 G in the Off-Ramp and Cotton Corners...

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
I need to get the tach input too... as Jack said, I can see that I could be in a lower gear in a few places......
Higher gear ;) ... like keeping it in 4th gear (instead of downshifting into 3rd when braking before turn-in) for the Bus Stop/entry to Riverside -- if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
I was referring to my SRF.

Andy is the y-axis negative portion braking?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was referring to my SRF.

Andy is the y-axis negative portion braking?
Yes, the positive y-axis is braking, negative y-axis acceleration.

EDIT: the negative x-axis is right turn lateral Gs, the positive x-axis left turn lateral Gs...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts