The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I just bought my elise and unfortunately during the move by the transporter, they curbed some of the rim :(. I now need to pull off that rim (passenger rear) and send it into the shop. Could take about 4 days.

Now I want to jack the car up and pull the tire off and set the car on a jack stand. If I jack the car up on jack point "B" will I be able to get the rear of the car up enough to remove the tire and get a jack stand set up on jack point "A"?

Trying to avoid jacking up at "A" and pulling off that panel under the car to put the jack stand on jack point "C".

If there is another way I am not thinking about, please let me know.

-E

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You could always put a few 2x6s under the right rear rotor and slowly lower the car down. Just one way to skin the cat...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Nope, it should not. I have seen people build supports for all 4 corners which act on the same principal. Get some feedback from other members just for your own piece of mind.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,405 Posts
Jacking at point B will not get the rear tire off the ground. You could pickup a cheap Miata rim and just swap the tire out while waiting on the shop to fix the rim. Not a fan of rotors supporting the car myself, though don’t think it would damage anything.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
348 Posts
Jack stand under a hockey puck resting on ball joint. Lower slowly.

Or, remove rear difusser panel and 2 Jack stands to cross member.

·
Less is Better
2,698 Posts
I have used the jack helper on D, chocked the front tires, lifted at the center, and then placed jack stands at the ends of the helper. Lifts up the entire rear end. I haven't tried, but you might be able to do the same thing with the diffuser removed.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Safety is the number one priority. Do not take any short cuts when lifting your car off the ground.
I use wooden blocks, lift one side at “A” put some block under the tires, repeat the on the other side. I like to use point “C” for my jack stands, so I remove the belly pan under the engine, then lift one side again and put jack stands at “B” and “C”, repeat for the other side. Done, it takes about 5 min. Then you can use the wooden blocks as a double safety placed under “A”.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,405 Posts
Safety is the number one priority. Do not take any short cuts when lifting your car off the ground.
I use wooden blocks, lift one side at “A” put some block under the tires, repeat the on the other side.
I do the same thing, I know it's not needed but I just don't like the angle the car is on the jack stand if leaving one side on the ground while placing the side on stands. It doesn't really add any time to lift one side an extra time.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
109 Posts
I would remove just the diffuser. You can jack the car up at point A and put a stand at D. you do not need to remove the belly pan.

my preferred method is to jack up the rear with a jack helper at points D, set the car on ramps. remove the diffuser, jack it up again with the helper and put jack stands at both D points. This is a very safe method to me with little room for error or damage to the car.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
The rotor is really held on by the wheel nuts/bolts, so once the wheel is off there is just a small screw and the brake calipers retaining the rotor. I would want to bolt that rotor onto the hub before using the rotor as a jack point.

I usually place a jack stand under the apex of the wishbone, taking care to avoid loading the damper pivot point (plus one at the front B point). The jack stand can get very close to the wheel rim in this case, so remove the jack stands before replacing the wheel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As a prosprctive new Lotus owner who will be doing a lot of my own work, this thread is interesting.
Has anybody used this jack, say, under one ball joint at a time, to get the wheel of the ground ?

thanx
Jeff

·
Registered
85 Posts
As a prosprctive new Lotus owner who will be doing a lot of my own work, this thread is interesting.
Has anybody used this jack, say, under one ball joint at a time, to get the wheel of the ground ?

thanx
Jeff

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The rotor is really held on by the wheel nuts/bolts, so once the wheel is off there is just a small screw and the brake calipers retaining the rotor. I would want to bolt that rotor onto the hub before using the rotor as a jack point.

I usually place a jack stand under the apex of the wishbone, taking care to avoid loading the damper pivot point (plus one at the front B point). The jack stand can get very close to the wheel rim in this case, so remove the jack stands before replacing the wheel.
Thank you Buzzard for catching my omission. Sorry, I should have been more clear. You would need to put 4 bolts in to hold the rotor firmly. Common 12mm x 1.5 bolts will work easily. You are only trying to block the car up safely for a few days so this method should be sufficient.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,405 Posts

thanx
Jeff
I have not used anything like that but it could work. This car is really not that hard to work on. I know removing the undertray can take a few minutes but it's simple. Jack one side of the car up and both wheels come off the ground, place on jack stands and move to the other side and repeat, if going high on the stands just keep going from side to side a little at a time. The car is stable when on 4 stands. I don't take any shortcuts when lifting the car or removing tires, might take a few more minutes is all.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
still can’t figure out how to delete posts in this new format.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Jack helper and rhino ramps are essential. Four flat topped jack stands get you there for anything. Harbor freight small blue jack and you’re golden.

A small cordless screwdriver with a bit for the small panel bolts is a great idea too. Really speeds things up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK everyone. Here is where I am at. The majority of the load is held up by Jack point c (blue jackstand is under rubber hockey puck). Also have a jackstand (red) next door that has a 1cm gap in case jackstand C fails.... Also have a jackstand under the suspension (blue).... and the car jack against jack point C (just enough to touch but this jack keeps going a few inches a day).

Wheel chocks under the front tires.

Tough to not be paranoid.... but I should be OK right?

-E

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts