The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Premium Member
I would say, you got that covered. 馃憤
The only thing I would add is flat top jack stands, the hockey pucks and the top of your stands is not a good match. I modified a set of stands similar to yours To flat tops, works a charm.

You can check my stands HERE On the Lotus I use hockey pucks with a hole drilled through the middle so the stud does not interfere.

Registered
Good to be safe. You should be safe to sleep under that.

I would not place a jack on a movable suspension point though. And chocks go in front of the front wheels.

Premium Member
Minor points:

1. I see the obsession with hockey pucks remains. Most are too hard (= slippery) and too small (a bit of slip and they leave or let car roam free.

2. I tried plastic Rhino ramps that a friend on whose car I was working. They said around a lot.

My cheap metal ramps never more on the concrete.

Premium Member
Minor points:

1. I see the obsession with hockey pucks remains. Most are too hard (= slippery) and too small (a bit of slip and they leave or let car roam free.

2. I tried plastic Rhino ramps that a friend on whose car I was working. They said around a lot.

My cheap metal ramps never more on the concrete.

Registered
Alot of hockey pucks have slick paper ads on them. Deff avoid these! Ask me how I know.

Premium Member
As always, Common sense prevails. The hockey pucks on my stands, are not going anywhere.
I am just wondering what would cause a 1900lbs car to move on 4 jack stand. All of the fasteners we loosen when servicing the car, are no more than 37ft/lbs, and that sure as hell is not going to more the car, so what is the problem with using hockey pucks.

Registered
I use them on my main jack but that鈥檚 it. The things can slip and/or break. I鈥檝e had this happen. Busted fiberglass.
Softer, stickier ribber pads are avail

Premium Member
As always, Common sense prevails. The hockey pucks on my stands, are not going anywhere.
I am just wondering what would cause a 1900lbs car to move on 4 jack stand. All of the fasteners we loosen when servicing the car, are no more than 37ft/lbs, and that sure as hell is not going to more the car, so what is the problem with using hockey pucks.
See posts 25 & 27. Note that this kind of thing has happened others. Wood, in my house, is free.

Premium Member
See posts 25 & 27. Note that this kind of thing has happened others. Wood, in my house, is free.
I don鈥檛 know what you guys do to your hockey pucks, but I have been using the same 4 on my jack stands, and the one I use on the hydraulic jack, for a lot of years with absolutely no problems.They still look like new, and they have seen a lot of use on my Porsche and the Lotus.
Like I said earlier 鈥渃ommon sense prevails鈥 if you have problems with them slipping or breaking, then you are doing something wrong.

Check out the jack stands I made, there is a link in post #21, I mounted a hockey puck on each with a hole drilled in the middle, that way they a secured.

Premium Member
Well,

1. Some pucks are harder and more slippery than others.

2. Wood (cheap) allows you to use much more surface area. Plenty of stories about misplaced pucks coming out/off.

3. Wood is never slippery if you just leave it alone.

4. Made for Toyotas, etc.

Registered

Premium Member
Well, if he had added a hockey puck somewhere in that setup, I would feel a lot safer. 馃ぃ

Premium Member
I actually cut up my pucks to fit the groove with my non flat stands. Feels very sturdy and no fear of it slipping off. With some puck slips I've read about, just for peace of mind I made the groove cuts. Easily done with retractable razor type blade.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts