The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I realize there are 4 jack points according to the Manual.
But-where is it safe to set a jack after the third point is already set on a jackstand?
Where else is it safe to lift to get the car on 4 jackstands?
This vehicle is in some ways a lot like the 928.
Thank you for responding.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Mike, when you are at Canadian Tire for that wiper, slip over to Seasonal Sporting Goods in aisle 38 and pick up four hockey pucks. Cut a small slot on one side of each puck. Use these at the rocker jacking points to protect everything, and not flatten the metal thingies. I just threw the pucks in the front trunk so I have them if I go for service somewhere; just give them to the 'Hoser' when you check in.

Stu

PS Congrats on the car!

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
^Good idea Stu. I use a small block of wood (with a slot cut in it), but I do like the hockey puck idea. Probably more durable in the long run.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, when you are at Canadian Tire for that wiper, slip over to Seasonal Sporting Goods in aisle 38 and pick up four hockey pucks. Cut a small slot on one side of each puck. Use these at the rocker jacking points to protect everything, and not flatten the metal thingies. I just threw the pucks in the front trunk so I have them if I go for service somewhere; just give them to the 'Hoser' when you check in.

Stu

PS Congrats on the car!
Lol and a bit of a sadness.
How I loved SCTV.
Strange. I was at a store looking for SCTV DVD's about a week ago.
I did rent the Movie about 1.5 years ago.
Thanks for the tip and happy rememberances.
:)

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
The 89 Esprit Jack hard points are metal cups, they are not blades like the later Esprits.

The fiberglass will break eventually, it is best not to use them if possible. You can use the rear hoop under the chassis to raise the rear of the car. Set it on stands, really no good place if you plan on working on the suspension... maybe the rear space frame tubes, near the reinforced areas...

The front is easy to raise from the jack point, with a small block of wood, and then place stands under the lower wishbone, where the anti roll bar enters, if you aren't working on suspension, or place wood blocks on the end of the chassis tee, as shown on the Jack point link above if you do need to work on the suspension.

Always raise the rear of the car first, since the rear will be too low to get a Jack under the hoop if you raise the front first.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,349 Posts
The fiberglass will break eventually, it is best not to use [the factory jack points] if possible.

I only use the factory jack points to steady the car with jack stands. I don't put the entire weight of the car on them.

Depending on which floor jack I'm using, I sometimes have to use the rocker jack points in the front to raise the wheels a little so the floor jack can be positioned under the front valence onto the cross member (as indicated). The fiberglass always creaks and moans... -eek-

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Couple of people have asked me about the quick jack. So just in case others are going to buy one to use on their esprit I have to secure an additional deck to lengthen the top deck to 65". It will add 1.5" to 3" for a total of 4.5" in height which the Esprit with stock wheels is 6" at the jack points

1 - 10 of 10 Posts