The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Rhinoramps at least. Lokks like you are getting ready to learn a lot about your car. It will be great, other than getting the older stuff apart. Are you doing a rear panel delete? Maybe a decat? This is the time to do it if you're condidering it.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Rhinoramps from your local car supply work great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thing is, I hate ramps like those. I once nearly drove over the end of a set and have never forgotten the looks of horror on the faces of my parents!

I had an Elise for 7 yrs before my Evora and with that I took the undertray off without jacking the car up and then put a jack under the rear cross bar. It jacked up and then I put 2 axle stands either side of the bar and that was perfect.

Its been hard to find any pics of anyone who has jacked their Evora up though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rhinoramps at least. Lokks like you are getting ready to learn a lot about your car. It will be great, other than getting the older stuff apart. Are you doing a rear panel delete? Maybe a decat? This is the time to do it if you're condidering it.
I'm going to try not to mod too much. I did that on my Elise. Which panel for you mean? (I have the S). I've got a Plack type exhaust on it but its too loud for day to day use but I want to swap back for other things and so want to get quick/good at changing the exhaust.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Thing is, I hate ramps like those. I once nearly drove over the end of a set and have never forgotten the looks of horror on the faces of my parents!

Its been hard to find any pics of anyone who has jacked their Evora up though.
I always thought Rhino Ramps were pretty idiot proof. They have raised ends to prevent driving right off of them. Perhaps the ones you used didn't have them.

No one I know has had them on jackstands... Not one owner to date has to date AFIAK has had the entire rear end (or front end) situated on jackstands.... probably because, as far as I can tell, there are no formal provisions for doing this (given there is only one pair of lift points on each end of the car.)

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
+1 rhinoramps. If you're scared of driving off the ramp ends, then just jack up the rear end and then place the ramps underneath the wheels.
Exactly. I've never tried to drive up on them.

Sorry OP, I mistakenly thought you meant an Elige despite your Avatar.

And yes, I have vowed not to mod our Evora either.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I use rhino ramps regularly. They're easy. Angle your drivers side mirror way down to see the ramp as you back up. Once you've done it a few times you don't have to slip the clutch much and can pop right up.

I've yet use use jack stands alone. I've used a jack to get ramps under there for the front...and have used a jack with a stand under the control arm (but not touching, only for backup) but the jack holding the car up the car since I have yet to find a solid way to get the car on stands alone without those special ones. I can get the entire side to lift with only one jack point being lifted but it's not stable enough to use this method to get the car up on stands.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
I used race ramps. super easy gives you and additional 10 inches to work with
Car Ramps | Trailer Ramps | Display Ramps
Those do look good.

In my one experience with Rhino Ramps, they kept sliding on the concrete garage floor.

The car owner couldn't get the car up them, so I had to do it.

I read here where one slipped out.

I'd attach some plywood to them. I saw where their advertising now says something about new non-slip feature.

My old metal ramps work just fine. I welded a bigger stop at the ends.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
My rhino ramps have rubber feet to keep them from sliding.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Rhino ramps to change the exhaust here. Easy to get up on them with plenty of clearance to work once it was up. I will say that I have drafted my lovely wife as my rhino ramp helper as she stands outside of the car and directs me up onto them. It would be more difficult to properly line things up with one person.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
My rhino ramps have rubber feet to keep them from sliding.
The ramps to which I referred did too, but too small by large margin.

You could always see what's on their site about new bases....

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Someone here actually did the muffler replacement without even jacking the car up, so pretty much any clearance works. Just easier when you get some height back there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts