The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm a bit confused about the jacking points on the elise (the C Points).

i read the manual and can see that the point is in the back of the aluminum plate with round holes in it.
Automotive exterior Line art Auto part Automotive lighting Vehicle

i dont quite get where and if it is really important to find an accurate spot. when i look at the picture from sandsmuseum its in one of the holes.
Vehicle

i see that there is a black bracket (is it the gastank mount?) in that hole. since i didnt have pucks, but a bigger rubberpad to put on my jackstand, it wouldnt fit in that hole, so i followed the manual and just put it on the aluminium furthest back.

when it rested on the jackstands it made a couple of cracking sounds before it rested on it. it scared the living **** out of me since i've never done this before. but i checked it and it seemed fine.

does it matter? will i still find my car unharmed on the jackstands tomorrow?

the whole reason i'm doing this is that some people comment that i should replace my tires.. i dont understand why :crazyeyes

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
when it rested on the jackstands it made a couple of cracking sounds before it rested on it. it scared the living **** out of me since i've never done this before. but i checked it and it seemed fine.
I'm not sure what you did here, but you should not be hearing any cracking noises when lifting or setting the car on jack stands. I recommend you thoroughly inspect the spots on the chassis where you placed the stands after the stands are removed.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
If there was a very small piece of gravel under the jackstand or between the shear panel and the crossmember (they can get wedged there) it will burst while making a cracking sound (from personal experience). Hopefully that was all it was. I would, however, recommend you follow tesprit's advice.

Also, do NOT put a jack or jackstand into the holes in the shear panel and rest it on the fuel tank as that would be bad. I think that picture you refer is a bit misleading/confusing to some. You can see a bit of the crossmember through that hole. That crossmember is what you need to aim for to safely jack the car.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
i have always been confused by this too because no one is crystal clear on this.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I'll try to clear it up ;). Do NOT stick a jack or jackstand through one of the holes in the shear panel. Forget the picture on the Sandsmuseum website. Do NOT do what he did unless you are perfectly clear where you are placing the stand. Easiest to just forget that picture.

Place the jackstand as labeled "C" in the 1st post pic, behind the holes (to the rear of the vehicle), under the crossmember. You may place the stand on the shear panel aluminum as long as the crossmember is directly above it. Again, do not place a stand in a hole.

And while you're at it, pick up one of Jim Clayton's rear jack helpers. It saves a lot of time and effort.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Place the jackstand as labeled "C" in the 1st post pic, behind the holes (to the rear of the vehicle), under the crossmember. You may place the stand on the shear panel aluminum as long as the crossmember is directly above it. Again, do not place a stand in a hole.
to add a bit more to this. The place to put the jackstand is on the crossmember at the rear of the sheer panel. The rear edge of the sheer panel covers (is attached to) the crossmember, so placing the jackstand at the rear edge of the sheer panel is simply squeezing the sheer panel between the jackstand and the crossmember.

If you place the jackstand anywhere else on the sheer panel, you could end up denting the sheer panel. Place the jackstand ONLY on the rear edge of the sheer panel (to use the "C" jack points).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I see, I've just been putting the jacks in the same place behind the second hole on the edge like you say, just went by what it sounded like when i hit it with my hand/hammer and found the hard spot kind of like you would find a stud to hang something on a wall (then again my luck with that is spotty at best!) haven't seen any dents so I'll keep using the same place! thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts