The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I still really don't get it- they act like 5'11" is the limit, I'm 6'1" and fit fine. I can even fit a helmet. I'm pretty proportionate legs/torso.

I think a lot of people on the web who state things like 'you can't drive it if you are over 5'11" are people who have never driven one.

If you want to drive it bad enough, you will fit. Waist size is more of a hard-limit. The seats are only so wide.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
totally agree, Im 6'2'' and was all worried I wouldnt fit based on what everyone says. sat in my first lotus and fit with about 6 inches to spare.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
5'11 is the limit, just wear a helmet and you'll understand why, Lol. I can't understand how a 6' + person can get out of an Elise without taking part of the dashboard with them, I'm 5' 10" and I labor to get in and out...not you David Creg, you're covered!!

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I'm 6'2" and old... no problem, even with a helmet and hardtop. Almost nobody is graceful in and out, especially tall folks, but aside from fatties all that stuff is nonsense.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I'm 6'. It's never elegant getting in with the top on, but it's not a big deal. Once I have plenty of room.

Have any of these people ever driven older British cars - for example Triumph T3? Morgans? MG TC/TD? With those big steering wheels, it's impossible to get under there.

Very few people can fit in an Jaguar XJ120.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'm 6'2" and old... no problem, even with a helmet and hardtop. Almost nobody is graceful in and out, especially tall folks, but aside from fatties all that stuff is nonsense.
Merge this thread with the "chick magnet" thread and you get:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm 6'. It's never elegant getting in with the top on, but it's not a big deal. Once I have plenty of room.

Have any of these people ever driven older British cars - for example Triumph T3? Morgans? MG TC/TD? With those big steering wheels, it's impossible to get under there.
Nah, no problem. I'm 6'3" and fit the Elise wearing a helmet, with the top on. Getting in is a trick and getting out is less than graceful, but I do it. Got more than a dozen track days in my Elise and many more right-seat coaching/instruction days...much harder to get in/out on the passenger side with helmet.

I had a TR-3, side curtains and all, no problem. Spitfire IV, Europas (3), two previous Elans, ditto. I drive a '71 Elan S.4 every opportunity I get (like today in Colorado) and have no problem, top up or down -- car still has the big-diameter Colin Chapman signature steering wheel.

Where there's a will there's a way. :cool:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'm 6' and I fit with my helmet on (just touching the hard top), with the seat set 3 clicks forward from the back. I'm convinced that 95% of the male population simply doesn't know how to sit in a seat. I worked on a car lot in high school, and nearly every customers car I sat in had the seat set all the way back, despite the owners frequently being shorter than me. Interesting, most women's cars appeared to have the seat positioned appropriately.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Getting into an Elise is difficult if you are 6' tall, which is why I'm happy that I am only 5' 12", I fit just fine.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
...All that said, it wouldn't be a good car for delivering pizzas...

·
Registered
304 Posts
6'3" here, no problem at all getting in/out, with the soft top and helmet, it's just perfect.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
This is the smallest car I've ever seen (outside of a Peel, Isetta or Messerschmitt).

Ginetta G4

·
Registered
389 Posts
Part of the reason for the varying height limits is probably flexibility (taller people who are more flexible can still get in, where someone not as tall, who is less flexible, can't - so they think they are too tall for the car).

Also, some people have more of a long torso and some people have more of long legs, and that can certainly factor into how well you would fit.

I think it's interesting that I actually have more headroom (by about a half inch) in the Lotus than in the Gallardo.

I'm only 5'8", by the way.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
RENDERMAN, you made my day with this quote: "I'm 5' 10" and I labor to get in and out...not you David Creg, you're covered!!" I seriously laughed out loud with that one. Would have shot milk out my nose of I were drinking it. David Craig, by far the most flexible, limber person on LT. I think he could be 7'2" and still comfortably fit himself in this car:) Thanks for the chuckle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No Europa's on the list? Whatever intern they had "researching" this piece has no doubt never encountered one, in person, or in print.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Remember when Jalopnik actually used to be a very good automotive site? Now it actually feels like bloggers are running the place.
I remember. Then Gawker bought them and it's been steadily downhill since. Now it's a bunch of blogspam and pointless lists like "Top 10 Most White Trash Cars".

·
Registered
153 Posts
Jalopnik must be the easiest blog to run on the web. They ask their 'questions of the day' to which their followers respond with pictures and comments in threads below, then the next day they post the 'answers of the day' picking the top 10 or so mentioned things from the previous day's thread.

Yea... really inventive content.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts