The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a S2 Lotus Elise, 2006, I was wondering if anyone has Volk TE37 or CE28 wheels mounted on their S2 Elise or Exige? I want wheels like they mount on Type-R Civics or Integras since I can just switch them out since they're both 4x100 PCD. If so, what are your specs (offset, width, length) brand of tire, and tire size? I want nice fitment with beefy looking tires but not look like its sticking out too much if that makes sense? This guy has fitment I sort of want.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
Volk wheels are excellent quality. See the chart below for size suggestions.

Our Monolites wheels are also made in Japan if you are looking for amazing quality - ours are as good as Volk with better fitment (hubcentric).

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Most likely those are custom to lotus specs. There have been a few runs of lotus offsets and widths that people sell on here. You need to be mindful of brake caliper clearance- if you're trying different wheels then you'll need to be prepared with spacers, and longer wheel bolts unless you've converted to studs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rays/Volk CE28's came on the Elise I bought. From what I gather they are pretty hard to come by so I am praying I don't ever need a replacement.
Fronts: 15x7, ET28 with 225/45/15 (old) Toyo Proxes RA1
Rears: 16X8, ET35 with 245/45/16 (old) Toyo Proxes RA1
Clearance is fine with stock calipers. No rubbing. I need to replace the tires soon and sizing is going to be pretty challenging I think. I love the 245's in the back. They are super meaty looking. Since I don't track my car up front I'd like to go down to a 215 or 205 and a bit taller (50/55). The 225's up front have a bit more gap than I like (for clearance I suspect) and parking lot maneuvers require a lot of effort.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,617 Posts
I used to run Volk TE37s on my Exige that I got from Sector111/Inokinetic. I was able to run 225s up front and 255s in the back without rubbing.

·
Registered
434 Posts

There you go... something to look at.. running Volk TE37s at the track about 10 days ago. With 215/45/16 and 245/40/17 BFGoodrich Rival 1.5 S tires.. I may offer the wheels up for sale at some point..

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Rays/Volk CE28's came on the Elise I bought. From what I gather they are pretty hard to come by so I am praying I don't ever need a replacement.
Fronts: 15x7, ET28 with 225/45/15 (old) Toyo Proxes RA1
Rears: 16X8, ET35 with 245/45/16 (old) Toyo Proxes RA1
Clearance is fine with stock calipers. No rubbing. I need to replace the tires soon and sizing is going to be pretty challenging I think. I love the 245's in the back. They are super meaty looking. Since I don't track my car up front I'd like to go down to a 215 or 205 and a bit taller (50/55). The 225's up front have a bit more gap than I like (for clearance I suspect) and parking lot maneuvers require a lot of effort.
I don't think they are that hard to find, but it is tough to buy them new in the lotus sizes. I got in the situation where I needed a replacement, and sure enough its not a great place to be in. My choices were

1. Wait for an entire set to come up for sale and buy it
2. Pay $1000 to a supplier in japan that happened to have the one I needed in stock
3. Try and get enough momentum to get a group buy on from Volk (minimum run was 20-25 sets)
4. Sell 3 wheels at a loss

I chose #4 as all the other options were either to expensive in cost or time. 205/50/15 are a good equivalent to the OEM front 195/50/16

Reactions: onboost91

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Guys who drive integras and civics are the guys that wish they had a Lotus, who cares what they put on their cars.....

Seriously, just don't buy cheap wheels

You will feel it constantly
My car came with Rotas and I bought a set of LSS wheels and changed the same tires over and it was night and day, drive it morning on the Rotas afternoon on the LSS

It matters

·
Registered
159 Posts
Guys who drive integras and civics are the guys that wish they had a Lotus, who cares what they put on their cars.....

You will feel it constantly
My car came with Rotas and I bought a set of LSS wheels and changed the same tires over and it was night and day, drive it morning on the Rotas afternoon on the LSS

It matters
What did you notice that is different when you drove? Lower lap times? Or just placebo?

Those guys who drive Civic's and Integra's quite often have wheels that look fantastic on the Lotus - what they wish they drove is irrelevant. Perhaps the OP should have asked for JDM style wheels?

·
Registered
70 Posts

Sorry maybe I'm misunderstanding, are you calling TE37's cheap? As far as I'm concerned they are the best wheels ever made. They are premium priced and a still a steal at that. Factory LSS wheels are nice... but they are absolutely not Volks.

Anyways I've got a full set of 16x8 TE37s I've been hesitating to put on because they are +25 and I'm worried about rubbing. I have a ton of camber so they should fit, but still don't want to put down $1000 on tires to find out they rub. I might just get 195/225s and use them for street driving maybe. The +25's will look sick if they work out though :).

·
Registered
159 Posts
195 is a bit skinny on an 8” rim. Why not mount the wheel then carefully jack the suspension up to see the fitment?

·
Registered
70 Posts
195 is a bit skinny on an 8” rim. Why not mount the wheel then carefully jack the suspension up to see the fitment?
thats a good point, I was just saying something like factory size. Remember each extra mm of smaller offset is like putting 2mm of extra width tire for outside lip clearance.

So a 195 tire at 25 offset clears the outside lip just like a 235 at 45 offset would. I guess that's why it's hard to find volks at just the right size, the offset matters!

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
What did you notice that is different when you drove? Lower lap times? Or just placebo?

Those guys who drive Civic's and Integra's quite often have wheels that look fantastic on the Lotus - what they wish they drove is irrelevant. Perhaps the OP should have asked for JDM style wheels?
Cheap heavy wheels ride like crap

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Sorry maybe I'm misunderstanding, are you calling TE37's cheap? As far as I'm concerned they are the best wheels ever made. They are premium priced and a still a steal at that. Factory LSS wheels are nice... but they are absolutely not Volks.

Anyways I've got a full set of 16x8 TE37s I've been hesitating to put on because they are +25 and I'm worried about rubbing. I have a ton of camber so they should fit, but still don't want to put down $1000 on tires to find out they rub. I might just get 195/225s and use them for street driving maybe. The +25's will look sick if they work out though :).
You are misunderstanding, neither the OP nor I said anything about Volks. THe OP was speaking of appearance alone

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
Cheap heavy wheels ride like crap
Correct, I have preached this for years as people continue to install heavy wheels onto their Elise/Exige. Unsprung weight matters.

Volk wheels are superb quality and lightweight. We were the first to offer them to our community. Leadtime and lack of hubcentric fitments caused me to stop offering them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So the Kosei K1 ride like crap? The OP was asking for recommendations on JDM style wheels for his Elise. These wheels are typically found on Integra’s, Civic’s etc. and are usually more expensive than the RAC Monolites new. To say that the Integra Civic owners use cheap wheels as their cars are cheap, well that’s a bit silly ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unsprung weight matters.
Are you talking in terms of suspension, or acceleration?

I'm a little skeptical that lighter wheels affect acceleration in any meaningful way beyond general weight reduction.

Anyways, I love jdm cars, especially 90s -00s ones, so I don't understand the hate. The Honda Civic is currently the fastest FWD vehicle ever made. Sure there's a lot of focus on looks in that culture, but looks do matter a lot. If a Lotus looked like a Prius, I would not drive one no matter how fun they were. Similarly TE's and RPF1's and many others get their reputation on their looks too. If they looked different people would not buy them.

TE's in particular happen to look incredible on our cars!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts