The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been often asked on here,
and he finally drove one (of his 2) into work today!
so I snapped a few pics to share.
it's one clean little Elan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I bet the guy who gets to take care of Jay's cars has a pretty cool job

Do you work on the show or work nearby or something? :D

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Note the "Elan doors!"
rotfl

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Do you work on the show or work nearby or something? :D
I've never been to Jay's garage (seen the photos tho, wow), but I have no doubt the guys who work there have it good.

I work on the show from time to time as the fill-in/secondary graphics/fx guy. - about 2-3 months out of the year.
helping out this month for May sweeps.
(look for the silly gag graphics that air during Jay's monologues)

He keeps his cars in a huge hanger a few miles to the north of NBC, and rotates his cars out almost daily, so every day there's usually a different car in his parking spot.
- and every day I just have my camera with me to snap a photo if there's one I haven't seen before.

He often drives one of his classics in, or classic exotics, as well as a few super-exotics, - or the occasional loaner he'll get from a dealer/company for review on his online show.

And if you take away all those cars, I'd say you'd have to label him as a Corvette guy. As he's got a few of them, (including an Ethanol one).

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

I met one of the guys at Willow Springs and he was telling me that it is a cool job unless Jay drives the cars. Because then they have to fix them more and it becomes a bit of work to maintain these older cars without spare parts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I saw Jay's garage which is more like a hanger (I used to work for the Bob Hope Airport) Burbank, CA, I used to see him all the time driving funky old cars, he had more bikes then cars, but pretty cool none the less

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
That Elan is beautiful. Is it just me or are the front fenders from an S3 and the rears from an S4?

Dont think so...but since I dont have an S4 to look at here..I am not sure. The top of the windscreen has S4 top locking mechanism. And the front of the car looks to be S4. Not late S4 but S4.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Dont think so...but since I dont have an S4 to look at here..I am not sure. The top of the windscreen has S4 top locking mechanism. And the front of the car looks to be S4. Not late S4 but S4.
I take that back....those are S3 front fenders. I am sure. Took me a sec to do the research.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Back in the early mid 80's I owned a company called Thunderbird Parts and Restoration with my good friend (who will remain nameless as I dont have the permission to use his name.)

My friend was the first one to bring in the Auto Craft Cobras back in the late 70's for his familys Ford dealership and he ran the old Ford parts business for them.

As I was told, Jay used to buy from him. Dont know if it was the Corbras or the old Ford parts.

Anyways, I believe when he used to come into town for a show, Jay and my friend used to get together and they became friends.

Later when I was in business with my friend, I believe that Jay used to buy parts from us, but I dont really have personal experience with that. I was the silent partner and did not spend much time in the business. I later sold my half to my friend.

The only other celebrity that I know bought from us was Jack Palance.

That was a long time ago, and I think Jay has done more for the old car hobby then anyone in a long time.

I would love to tour his garage. Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
101 Posts
his chin is bigger then that car... did u hear that conan is taking over his position and jimmy falon is taking over for conan? jimmy falon is an idiot.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Nice pics!

Next time, get some photos of Paul Moyer's car. He parks next to him on the NBC lot and drives some sweet Ferraris!

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Nothing beats a nice S2 Elan. So very simple and clean.

Nice example.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts