The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Lotus Elise. When using little gas in 1st gear, my car sometimes makes jerky/bucking movements. It's fine if I give it more gas or use other gears. I believe the problem is much more likely to happen during the first few minutes after starting up than after it is warmed up, although this might relate to me rarely operating a slow speeds in 1st after having warmed up. This is a relatively new problem that is becoming worse. Does anyone have ideas of what might be causing it?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
you might want to specify how many miles you've put on the car for peoples perspective becuase it would seem like a driver error or road imperfection issue... unless you've put a bunch of miles on the car to really know the difference over time. Assuming you don't actually have many miles on it yourself, first gear usually is particularly jerky in all cars especially one geared short like ours... and especially over un-even terrain.

Consider taking it to a really smooth empty parking lot and playing around with it to confirm it's not just the road imperfection or driver glitches. I would say up to maybe 2nd or even 3rd gear if i'm rolling over a bumpy stretch i tend to put the clutch in if i don't want or need to accelerate or decelerate lightly (with the engine) becuase it will buck for sure if i'm neutral on the throttle going over bumpy stuff. It is the nature of a manual tranny car... sorry if this is already obvious and you have a legit issue.

As a side note i only brake (with brake pedal) over bumpy stuff if it's an emergency (which it almost never is) becuase braking over bumps is not so nice to suspension parts (on any car). If there's some bumps i'll brake hard before and after if necessary to stop in the right position, but i hate running over bumps with the brakes on. A good way to do damage to rims too depending on the size of the bump.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a 2005 Lotus Elise. When using little gas in 1st gear, my car sometimes makes jerky/bucking movements. It's fine if I give it more gas or use other gears. I believe the problem is much more likely to happen during the first few minutes after starting up than after it is warmed up, although this might relate to me rarely operating a slow speeds in 1st after having warmed up. This is a relatively new problem that is becoming worse. Does anyone have ideas of what might be causing it?
What is the r.p.m. when you get this jerky/bucking movement? If you're under 1000 rpm, your car wants to stall. Otherwise, I vote for cold engine.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Mine does it a little when I leave my house headed down a hill in 2nd gear. It's the only place it will happen, so I never gave it a 2nd thought.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My vote is coldness. I experience similar issues with the drive line when the car is cold.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
you might want to specify how many miles you've put on the car for peoples perspective becuase it would seem like a driver error or road imperfection issue... unless you've put a bunch of miles on the car to really know the difference over time. Assuming you don't actually have many miles on it yourself, first gear usually is particularly jerky in all cars especially one geared short like ours... and especially over un-even terrain.

Consider taking it to a really smooth empty parking lot and playing around with it to confirm it's not just the road imperfection or driver glitches. I would say up to maybe 2nd or even 3rd gear if i'm rolling over a bumpy stretch i tend to put the clutch in if i don't want or need to accelerate or decelerate lightly (with the engine) becuase it will buck for sure if i'm neutral on the throttle going over bumpy stuff. It is the nature of a manual tranny car... sorry if this is already obvious and you have a legit issue.

As a side note i only brake (with brake pedal) over bumpy stuff if it's an emergency (which it almost never is) becuase braking over bumps is not so nice to suspension parts (on any car). If there's some bumps i'll brake hard before and after if necessary to stop in the right position, but i hate running over bumps with the brakes on. A good way to do damage to rims too depending on the size of the bump.
Several months ago, the car was smooth at low acceleration in 1st gear. Now it is not. I drive the car daily and can notice the negative change from one month to the next. It is a legitimate issue that is becoming worse over time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
WEIRD! My Shelby is not Jerky at all in first gear. In fact the tires on my Shelby slide around quite freely giving it a "driving on ice" feeling. :shift:

As far as the Lotus goes:
The Jerky / Bucking movement is a lack of low end torque. LOL
My suggestion is to give a little more gas and stay in the clutch just a hair longer. I had the same problem the first time I tried to drive my lotus like a muscle car. I had to learn to drive it very differently. IF you are saying it's not a cold issue or a learning the clutch on this car, then it might be more serious.

Mine was acting weird at idle. The RPM's were a little low and it was especially noticeable on a cold start. I had it tuned and the computer was re-flashed / calibrated. It runs so much better now. Something to do with taking it from sea level living to the thin mountain air at high elevations (where I live). I guess though the computer should adjust for this condition. The tune and calibration did wonders. Might want to try that?

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
this is a people problem, not car...most likely

yes, the tranny, as do all, like to be warm

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Could give cleaning your MAF and TB a go.

I have a bit of a 1sec stumble in 1st after a cold start if the car warms for less than 2 minutes before I drive it.

Only one stumble though... once it's had the one, it doesn't happen again, until previously mentioned scenario takes place again.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
My vote is coldness. I experience similar issues with the drive line when the car is cold.
+1, when i'm pulling out of my neighborhood I'll be holding throttle down steady in first, very slowly accelerating, then all of sudden it will seem like i just pushed the throttle down a good amount more when i didnt

TADTS

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Cold engine. TADTS

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just wanted to chime in and place my vote for the cold engine.

My '05 Elise does the same thing every morning if I don't let the car warm up prior to driving.

If I don't let the engine warm up first, drive for a few minutes, stop and then start again in first gear....the problem disappears.

Just let your car warm up a bit if you're in a safe area :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Could give cleaning your MAF and TB a go.

I have a bit of a 1sec stumble in 1st after a cold start if the car warms for less than 2 minutes before I drive it.

Only one stumble though... once it's had the one, it doesn't happen again, until previously mentioned scenario takes place again.
+1, then maybe air filter and plugs.
The rest of you - give the OP a break! It's a worsening situation, so something's changing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
seafoam your gas, which will clean your injectors etc. see if that helps. Not saying it will, but being a 05 and seeing the quality of fuel that has come and gone, could be slightly related. Then again, you'd get the same issue when warm. So never mind...

I get this same issue when driving in the AM, in 60 degree weather. She's a temperamental brit.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Maybe the fuel is not quite right?

New fuel filter.
Clean fuel injectors.
Try a different brand of gas for a while.

If it has been worse for a couple of months, did you recently switch gas stations?

I don't have my Lotus yet but my Toyota runs a lot smoother on Shell. I think the cleaner they put in their gas helps.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Mine does the same thing when pulling out of our long drive in 1st. It has nothing to do with "learning to drive a stick", but it is always associated with an engine that is not fully up to temp. My guess is that it is related to a quirk in the ECU program under these conditions. I think it's just one of those funny things...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts