The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't hate me, but I have the access panel off the bottom of the car. Plug and filter are readily accessible. I just don't want to mess with the old oil.

Does anyone know if any of the major fast oil service chains carry the proper Toyota filter? If so how do you ask for it? By partnumber or car model?

I think if I take my car to one of the drive-over shops without the bottom panel on, it would be very easy for them to do the change assuming they stock the filter.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't like dealing with old oil either, but doing the oil change is kind of therapeutical in my case.
I can't trust these morons to do anything right. Heard too many cases when they ruined cars on a simple oil change.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I would never, EVER trust anyone at a Jiffy Lube, Quick Lube, EZ Lube etc... to do ANY work on ANY car.

Years ago I brought my Volkwagen Jetta to a Jiffy Lube and they proceeded to strip the thread on the plug. Another time they charged me for a new filter but clearly did not change it.

A Lotus would be the LAST car I would bring to any lube joint.

By the way, ask QBall here on LT what he thinks about taking a Lotus to any repair shop that isn't familiar with the car. All he was doing was getting new tires. Ask him how that worked out. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231/fu-k-sh-cr-p-damage-30674/

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Just do it. Get one of those oil pan/accumulators and do it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I use an oil vacuum and when it’s full I take it to pep boys and dump it for free. The vacuum is clean and safe so no worries about it in the garage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As said above, your local auto part store will take your old oil.

Just buy one of the drain pan/carry can oil change dealies and do it yourself.

I wouldn't trust Jiffy Lube to check my tire pressure much less get ANYWHERE near my car with a wrench.

As a mechanic I have I corrected many of their mistakes which include, but are not limited to, stripped drain plugs, overtorqued filters, and drain plugs so loose the car had only 1 quart left in it.

Even one case of them opening a door so hard they broke the hinge.

BAN the lube joints. NEVER, EVER go to any of those, even with a Civic.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
If you do all the work to get the panel off, then just do the oil change! I think getting that darn panel off takes longer than the oil change itself.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
If you do a search here of 'jiffy lube', you'll find a few interesting stories.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Why not use the dealer? It's expensive, but there's a very good chance they will not screw up the oil change.

If you do it yourself, you'll want to get something to help remove the filter. In my case, it was on so tight that I had to hammer a screw driver through it *three times* (only managed quarter turn each time because of the lack of space) to get to the point I could unscrew it the rest of the way by hand. Maybe if I had gorilla arms, it would have been easier. ;)

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might call Qais (sp?) tomorrow to see if he stoops to oil changes. I can easily do it, just have to buy all the stuff to take off the filter, catch the oil, transport the oil, etc. Pain in the arse. But driving 40 miles down to Newport Beach and then paying $200+ is even worse.

Anyone know any other trustworthy LA South Bay mechanics?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Seriously, just change the oil yourself for the following reasons:
1) you get to pick your oil
2) you get to pick your replacement filter
3) you can give the oil enough time to properly drain (I let it drip for 30 min to 1 hour and go watch tv, I realize that's longer than it needs, but that's how long tv shows are)
4) it will make you a real man (your wife will make made monkey love to you and your children will respect and look up to you)

Please let me know if you need more reasons.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I can easily do it, just have to buy all the stuff to take off the filter, catch the oil, transport the oil, etc. Pain in the arse.
All the stuff to remove it is pretty cheap. A strap wrench is only like 5 dollars. If your like me and you use K&N filters, then you can remove the filter with your socket wrench. I use a metal tray that I got from the restaurant I use to work at to caught the oil. I have an oil caughter thing that the city of davis gave me for free but that thing sucks. I store the oil in an empty laundry detergent container that sits in an empty red line box. That then sits in my garage until I have to go to Kragen to buy more oil.

Like someone said earlier, removing and putting the diffuser back is the bulk of the work. Plus while your under you can also check the torque settings.

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok...you guys won. I changed the damn oil myself. Castrol Synthetic 5W40 from Autozone. K&N HP2009 filter.

I have lovely tub of used motor oil in my garage. HAPPY NOW???

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here are photos from my brother who took his TL to a jiffy lube type place. The AC was dripping on the tech, so he shoved the torque seal tube in the AC drain tube and forgot about it. Yes, this caused damage. The photos are from the Acura dealer who was diagnosing the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Ok...you guys won. I changed the damn oil myself. Castrol Synthetic 5W40 from Autozone. K&N HP2009 filter.

I have lovely tub of used motor oil in my garage. HAPPY NOW???
Yep! Wanna pop round and do mine now -poke-

·
Registered
470 Posts
well it doesnt matter if we are happy, but you will be when your car doesnt poop out on you. :) I used to work at a jiffy lube as a kid. you dont want to go there. They used to have me do some of oil changes and didnt have a clue back then what to do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good boy. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts