The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a tribute to Jim Clark from Speed, commemorating his passing on April 7, 1968. It's hard for me to believe it was 40 years ago. Hell, a great number of S2 owners on this forum weren't born yet. I was 15 at the time; he was my personal hero, and I was crushed. There simply was no one better, and there hasn't been since IMO. Supremely talented, and a true gentleman. Jim Clark was the reason I wanted to own a Lotus from the time I was 12 years old.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/special-jim-clark-40-years-on/

More perspective:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/jimclarkrally/The-horror-of-Hockenheim-left.3951270.jp

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/jimclarkrally/Jim-Clark-the-Scottish-driver.3953077.jp

Rest well, Jim. You still inspire me.

·
Registered
495 Posts
When men were men.... Or just didn't know any better :)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-UIWAjrZtI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-UIWAjrZtI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
205 Posts
He was the greatest driver that ever lived! He would drive anything, but mostly Lotuses. He died in an F2. How many F1 drivers today would set foot in an F2 or anything else.
He was simply the best.:bow:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think that auto racing in general was more interesting in Jim Clark's era. Extreme aero, corporate sponsors, and the entertainment business have changed racing from sporting competition to exhibition. No rolling the clock back, but racing lost a lot of its purity after the death of Jim Clark. The weather isn't great here, but I need to pat the Elan on the hood, and get out in my Exige for a few minutes of homage to the passing of an icon.

Jerry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much for posting the links. I visited Jim Clark's grave today to pay tribute to him on the 40th anniversary of the day he left us. He is a real hero to Scottish motorsport fans and he started my interest in all things Lotus.

I took this photo of the grave early this morning...

Rest in peace dear Jimmy...

Elizabeth

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
He was the greatest driver that ever lived! He would drive anything, but mostly Lotuses. He died in an F2. How many F1 drivers today would set foot in an F2 or anything else.
He was simply the best.:bow:
Absolutely! He even won the British Touring Car Championship for Lotus in 1964 in between his two Formula 1 titles! I love the fact that he met Colin Chapman at a race in 1958, when he drove a Lotus Elite and finished second. The reason Chapman noticed him is because Chapman finished first. When I think of a race car driver, I think of Jim Clark. RIP.

Tom

·
Registered
685 Posts
I can hardly believe it's 40 years. I was working in my garage on my Austin, getting it ready for racing the next weekend, when I heard the news on the radio. I was shattered.
My outstanding memory of Jim Clark is from Oulton Park in 1965. In the saloon car race he was climbing all over the rear of Jack Brabham's Mustang with a Lotus-Cortina. He didn't quite win, but the grin on his face told how much fun he'd been having. Next year he did the same to Brian Muir in a Galaxie, but Muir spun off and Clark won.
A great driver of almost anything - he surprised the rally boys when he took a Lotus Cortina on the RAC rally one year ('66?) and set a couple of fastest times before he retired.
A strong number 2 on my personal all-time best driver list to Moss.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thank you so much for posting the links. I visited Jim Clark's grave today to pay tribute to him on the 40th anniversary of the day he left us. He is a real hero to Scottish motorsport fans and he started my interest in all things Lotus.

Elizabeth
Thanks for taking the trouble to post this.

As an Englishman I, of course, despise all Scots.
Except for Jim Clark,
CharlieX (who is really a Lancastrian in denial).
And now you.

Oh - and Jimmy and Colin McRae.
And Alex Ferguson

Wait a minute.... I'd better stop now.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

Elizabeth
Thank you, Elizabeth, for posting this photo. It brings back memories ...

Good to see that there were so many flowers even in the morning.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
A day that will always be remembered with sorrow in the world of motorsports.
RIP, Jimmy.

Another moving place to visit is the Jim Clark room in Duns, Scotland--the most amazing collection of trophies, ever.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts