The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Jim and I own too many cars...

After lurking in these parts for a while looking for a Lotus I made a deal to purchase 61kombi's beautiful 2008 Exige in Colorado. The car was delivered to Minnetonka (MN) Saturday night. Here is how it went...

First A shot from Mark's advertisement here on Lotus Talk.

Mark secured the car in the back of Curt Lee's straight truck. Un-conventional as it looks this arrangement worked really nice. Curt has an open two place car trailer behind the truck with a pair of removable "ramps" to bridge the gap. Mark drove the car up the trailer right into the box.

Curt picked up another car in Colorado to be delivered to Alexandria MN and then traveled on to Minnetonka arriving about 6:00pm Saturday night. It's possible there could have been a worse time take delivery of a Lotus but the 6" of new snow Friday night made driving the car on the streets a really bad idea. In the end we decided to transfer the Lotus to a roll-back tow rig in a (close by) mall parking lot.

The tow operator backed up my driveway and "dropped" the Lotus in front of the garage.

A little snow on the tires but no salt on the car.

Finally the Lotus tucked away in the garage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Work Space

A couple of (old) shots of my garage work space and a question or two.

• I've seen only a few photos of cars raised mid-rise scissors lifts (like mine). Are there special concerns beyond the lift points for using this kind of lift?
  • Will the RSL Lift Kit work on the 2008 Exige S240?

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Are you already a member of the MN Lotus club? LOON's (Lotus Owner of the North) A few of us live in Minnetonka, Hopkins, Excelsior, EP etc. We also do a lot of our work out the Toybox a multi lift/multi bay facility that one of the club members owns. If not already a member wanna join?

Cal H

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Congratulations and welcome.

I've always wanted to do some kind of river run with people from Minnesota. There's lots of beautiful twisting highway along the Mississippi and Saint Croix rivers.

The Chicago guys are always getting together for drives and often they don't have near as nice roads. How about something on the Min/WI border?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

I've always wanted to do some kind of river run with people from Minnesota. There's lots of beautiful twisting highway along the Mississippi and Saint Croix rivers.

The Chicago guys are always getting together for drives and often they don't have near as nice roads. How about something on the Min/WI border?
I would be up for this!

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Hello Jim from Minnesota don't ya know!

Reactions: ExigedOne

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Are you already a member of the MN Lotus club? LOON's (Lotus Owner of the North) A few of us live in Minnetonka, Hopkins, Excelsior, EP etc. We also do a lot of our work out the Toybox a multi lift/multi bay facility that one of the club members owns. If not already a member wanna join?

Cal H
What Calvin said.

·
Cal H
982 Posts

In the past we have done this quite frequently on a regular basis and the drives are posted via the club distribution list. We meet less frequently than the Chicago club and I would say when we do meet it is less of a social event. While we do have social event once in awhile it is usually a bunch of guys working on cars or driving. Most club members are proficient in driving and maintenance of Lotus cars. It is not a requirement to own a Lotus to be a club member or have one to join us on a drive, but please bring an appropriate type of car (no SUV etc) Open seats are frequently available for ride a longs

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Damn it, why can't anyone live in Iowa? haha
Cedar Rapids? I refuse to drive there because you have those insidious revenue generating traffic enforcement cameras there LOL. Cameras such as those are banned in MN as moving violations are considered a drivers offense and not a vehicle violation. It should not be the responsibility of the car owner to prove himself not guilty or was not the driver at the time. It is the responsibility of authorities to prove who committed the offense.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Cedar Rapids? I refuse to drive there because you have those insidious revenue generating traffic enforcement cameras there LOL. Cameras such as those are banned in MN as moving violations are considered a drivers offense and not a vehicle violation. It should not be the responsibility of the car owner to prove himself not guilty or was not the driver at the time. It is the responsibility of authorities to prove who committed the offense.
Oh, I totally agree... I fcuking hate those things.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
I did not know about the MN Lotus club. I just searched around and found a Yahoo! group. Is this the club?
The club does have yahoo group called loon-mn. It is used to send broadcast email postings and notifications club wide. It is also a repository of technical bulletins, service advisories, photos, etc. It is open to members but not the general public. Participation in the Yahoo group is not required for LOON club membership but you have to be a club member to be a part of the Yahoo group. I believe the current users number about 115.

I can send you the email info via private messaging about who to contact to join but you have only 5 posts and you can't use private messaging on this site unless you do the required 10 forum posts to turn on your private messaging. So post several more times so I can send you the info.

The LOON's are part of Minnesota Intermarque the umbrella org that facilitates communication and events for the various car clubs in this region. Also a good way to join is to show up for the Intermarque breakfast around 8 am every Sat at the Square Peg. Tim Engel and Dave Lindemann are officers of the LOON's and Intermarque liasons. Its just an informal breakfast of car guys in a diner near the University of Minnesota on Hennipen Ave. Square Peg Diner

Phil Ethier another LOON is usually there on Sat too, an Elise owner also involved in MN autocross or mnautox.com that runs organised autocross events during the driving season in the metro area.

Cal H

·
Cal H
982 Posts
BTW if you want to take your car to track day at Brainerd Raceway one of the LOON's is a high performance instructor there. He also has many performance cars including an Elise, X180R, Esprit SE, Esprit S2, and Panoz.

·
Registered
831 Posts
That is one nice looking car Jim. I noticed it when it was for sale, you got a beaut.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
A couple of (old) shots of my garage work space and a question or two.

• I've seen only a few photos of cars raised mid-rise scissors lifts (like mine). Are there special concerns beyond the lift points for using this kind of lift?
  • Will the RSL Lift Kit work on the 2008 Exige S240?
You will be fine as long as the lift arms can reach these jack points you will be fine with the mid rise lift.
Examine the bottom of the car and look for the blue and white lift sticker. It has the symbol of a jack on it. Place the rubber disc or pad under this sticker and start lifting the car.

Watch the load balance
Do not do this:

Try explain that to the owner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts