The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had totally forgotten but I guess technically this was my first "Lotus" involved car:

1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo

It was the first year of the Impulse with the Lotus-tuned suspension, but the year before they started putting the "Handling by Lotus" badges on it. Giugiaro designed original model. 1987 RS's only came in white with white wheels. It was a fantastic car for its time and was practical too. 1988 got the badges (we don't need no stinkin...) but they also got the annoying automatic seatbelts too. Sad to see that Isuzu has pulled out the US passenger vehicle market. They had some fun cars in the 80/90's.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Where's Joe Isuzu?
Found him...
:D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ic0UejzZDZ8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ic0UejzZDZ8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yep, and to think that compared to most of the Stealerships, he was more honest! Come to think of it, he'd be the most honest candidate in the presidential race...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I remember when those came out. I was 12 or 13 and I remember thinking the fighter jet dash was the coolest interior I'd ever seen. I went to school with a guy we called Joe Isuzu because of the BS stories he told. We had a cardboard sign the said "He's Lying" that someone would hold up whenever he was talking.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I remember hating the Impulse because I had a VW Scirocco 16V at the time and it was a blatant ripoff IMO. I've chilled since then. :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember hating the Impulse because I had a VW Scirocco 16V at the time and it was a blatant ripoff IMO. I've chilled since then. :)
it's funny cuz giugiaro designed the first scirocco (1974?) and then designed the Piazza/Impulse for 1981. the MKII scirocco came out a year later in 1982, but was designed in house at VW i think. so who's copying who?? :confused:

but yes, both were very similar designs.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
My first car was a 1984 Impluse. It was awesome (well at least in my memory). It gave me no problems through the 45k miles I put on it. I also feel it was a huge shame that first, Isuzu moved away from cars and now is gone altogether. Of course, Isuzu for the past 5 years has been a bunch of GM also-rans.

The Impluse was originally a design proposed by Giugiaro to VW for the MK II Scirocco. The two companies could not come to terms and Giugiaro sold the design to Isuzu. VW emulated the design.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
I had 2 Impulses. The first was a 1986 Turbo that constantly lit up the inside tires because it had no limited slip. The dash was awesome. Suspension issues though. Springs were way too soft! Bottomed out readily.
Then I had a1992 Impulse RS and it was affectionately called the brick. Handling was bulletproof with the RE71's I bought, still miss that car as I wanted to work on it. As many of you know, it had the same motor as the early 1990's Elan. Was easy to pump up over 200HP which was pretty good considering it was on ~2800lbs.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Even in 2008 he doesn't look too bad for an ol guy !

Attachments

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My dad got one of the first ones to hit the states (each dealer received 2).

He let me take it out a few times the first week he had it, and I got quite a few looks!

- just like I do in my Elise every time I take it out.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
In an era where the Eclipse and Talon were the AWD kings, I had its nemesis cause I was lighter, quicker, and handled much better!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts