The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's review the July 7 letter from John English. I have my framed copy here, since it is, after all, the last (secondhand) communication of any kind I have from Lotus, LCU, or their dealer representatives:

All dealers should have their first car by the end of July.
A few, not all. Symbolic is the only one I know in California. Are there others?

August will see a significant increase in cars to you as we deliver those 250 cars that will be built through July 31.
250 seems about right, given the spied VIN list from July 11 and other reports.
We are getting a better flow of information from the factory and as a result, your Regional Sales Manager will be forwarding reports to you on vehicle status about once per week. Expect these to start in mid July. This will give you the tools to answer that often asked question, "When will my car be here?" Your Regional Sales Manager will be in close contact during this time.
Either this is not true at all, or my dealer is withholding information, since they claim to have none at all. Weekly vehicle status?? In my dreams.

By the end of July, you should know about how many cars will be produced for your dealership from October through the end of December 2004.
If they make good on nothing else in the memo, this one thing would be nice. Again, might be dealer secrecy intervening.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
My dealer said they got an updated build report last week, so information may be coming out more often.

However he noticed that the build order is not in the same order that they submitted them. In fact the person who is 3 after me (Speedracergirl8) is getting her car before me and I didnt order LSS so I have no idea of how they are determining build order. I was told my car would be built at the middle or end of this month (originally it was at the beginning of the month- maybe they forgot about the 2 week holiday) Now I have to wait another two weeks since originally they thought the car would be here at the end of this month. I never figured the cars would be here in April anyway and figured like having a house built they would be late, so its no big deal.

This has me wondering if they are changing build orders around so that cars can get to the west coast faster. If I was originally before someone and had build order 200 and a dealer on the west coast needed cars, would Lotus change it so someone with the same color and options at the other dealer that was late in getting the cars would get my order and then change my build order to 230 which might have been the original build order for the person at the other dealership, or are build orders specific to each individual owner?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ground Loop said:
A few, not all. Symbolic is the only one I know in California. Are there others?
SVAG received two customer cars in July. I believe the SF dealer received one customer car.

Either this is not true at all, or my dealer is withholding information, since they claim to have none at all. Weekly vehicle status?? In my dreams.
Agreed, doesn't seem to be happening. My dealer had to contact Lotus to determine the status of my car, and it's one that's already been built and on a ship...so if anything, you think Lotus would be updating dealers about *those* cars.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
xxxotic said:
This has me wondering if they are changing build orders around so that cars can get to the west coast faster.
I really don't think so. I'm #2 in line at a CA dealer, and yet the first two cars that dealer received were for the #1 and ~#5 (somewhere around there). So, build order is being shuffled all around.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Would really like to see my dealer's build info be released through December. Hopefully Lotus gets around to it soon.

We took the letter too seriously. :p

Edit: My dealer could have this information now, haven't checked in a week or so...

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
My dealer has projections of his allocations until the end of the year. They already have their demo as well. I think it is unfair to systematically blame everybody with wide brush strokes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I remember in mid-June many were in agreement that Lotus was going to simultaneously pull trucks into all dealerships on/around July 15th for "the big kickoff"! :)

The "fog of war" is a semi-applicable phrase for why these plans don't work out.

Dave

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Princeton received their current build sheets last week and will continue to receive them weekly. They know whos car is built, shipped and on it's way. I think a lot of the delays are based on the trucking company since they had a call last week from the trucker that he was in Delaware with a car and wanted directions to the dealership. It's maybe an hour drive and it's now Tuesday and no car.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HMMMMMMMM? I seem to recall, was it on this board, everyone screaming bloody murder that Lotus was holding cars until all dealers had demos, when that didn't work out and listening to us, they decided to start releasing what they had in no particular sequence. Now, everyone's screaming bloody murder because not all dealers got cars at the same time!

It's also possible that a lot of the dealers had LSS demos as well as LSS as the first batch of customer cars, which would explain why most dealers don't have demos yet and have mainly gotten non-lss cars.

Now for the conspiracy theorists, Lotus is not a Robert Ludlum spy novel all seeing/all knowing evil entity that studies the etalk bbs to see who they can screw everyone over each day.

Certainly things have not gone smoothly, but this is a big undertaking for them and all new, lots of bugs to be worked out of the system. Cars ARE going to dealers, some get a few others get a few more, some didn't get any initially but they ARE GETTING TO DEALERS.

This rambling diatribe brought to you by:
CHris

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Chris, what does your buddy, Chris, at LOA say about their anticipated deliveries for the year?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
LL<
I didn't ask him when I saw him Sat. but I think he had some info on expected cars, but have no idea what time period.
Chris

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know I'm a broken record by now, but I have to say again..

I can think of many valid reasons cars could be held, out of sequence, stuck, constipated, or otherwise delayed for delivery.

I can not think of ANY valid reason why dealers should be held in the dark regarding impending delivery and allocation. The impression I get from my dealer (could be incorrect) is that Lotus is still not passing on basic information like.. when the demo might arrive, when the customer cars might arrive, how many might arrive this week/month -- you know, useful stuff. We're both in the dark and increasingly frustrated.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
huggy,
I know, that's why I've been tryin to keep my big mouth shut, unfortunately with little success on my part.
Chris

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dear All,

Does someone have a way that we can contact Lotus UK directly to determine what their records show are the projected build dates for our cars?

There aren't that many of us, after all, and it would put many minds to rest.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Ground Loop, who is your dealer? Haven't had any problem getting that info from mine. Sometimes it's a matter of knowing who at the dealer has the info and getting a hold of them. Depending on the dealer getting them to talk could be another matter. :p

Randy- it would be nice to have a direct link into Lotus UK. Would I expect it or think such a channel would or should be open- no.

·
Registered
442 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Now, everyone's screaming bloody murder because not all dealers got cars at the same time!
I don't think that's quite it. For my part, there is a sense of disappointment and frustration with the customs and trucking issues, admittedly not all of which could have been anticipated by Lotus. But I still remain in the camp that says more information from Lotus (and the dealers, if they're witholding) would help the situation and limit the conspiracy theorists.

Remember Chris, many of us have been on waitlists for years as well, and the build-up of anticipation, being so near resolution, make these final delays more difficult. ("You mean my car is actually built and has just been sitting in a lot in SC for the last two weeks?!!? WTH!") I actually feel bad for the dealers who are trying to keep their customers informed but are hamstrung by the poor information network.

Serenity now? Nah, not yet. We're still Doomed. Until we get our Elises (Elisii? Elisae? Elise? -- what the he!! is the plural form of Elise?).

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
A ship is supposed to leave England every Monday with more cars. At least 3 ships seem to be stacked up on the west coast. Many western dealers have received no cars. But we should just wait patiently for any crumbs of info that Lotus chooses to send our way?

Lotus gets top scores in my book for car building, but bottom marks for communication and administrative capabilities.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Port of LA is experiencing severe delays these days, so it's gonna take time for the Left coasters to get their cars.

I am still betting that once there is a steady flow, lists will move faster than most anticipate

1 - 20 of 26 Posts