The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lotus Driving Academy
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like the guys in the white t shirts weren't too happy... they seemed to block his exit, why?
I think (if they were event staff) they wanted him to turn left (there was Porsche 918 spider parked there and an older 911), or they were asking questions while he was trying to leave (and his car obviously attracted more attention then any of them) and he was just trying to get the heck out of there and didn't feel like talking anymore otherwise he would be answering questions all day (to be fair he did the whole time he was there). Not sure but he defiantly seemed pissed when he drove off.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts

·
because racecar
540 Posts
Just because its listed for sale at that price doesn't mean he'll get it. Hennessey however actually sold a few modified elige for 7 figures...

·
Registered
839 Posts
The Hennessy is crazy money, period.

Hennessey takes a used Elise / Exige ($35k?), sells-off the hardware thats not needed ($10k?), uses the Lotus' V.I.N. (zero expense for homologation) & re-builds using body / rear frame / suspension from a UK company based in Silverstone and their own engine tune-up. All the other parts like brakes, gearbox, gear linkage, engine etc are from typical OE suppliers like Brembo, Ricardo, GM....

Without a wild engine tune, Venom should be in the $100k - $150k zone.... similar to Noble's old price position. Above $200k... there's sooo many great supercars, that have been properly developed from the ground up with bespoke engineering. The 'Lotus Hennessey' is just out classed.

I always find it funny that when interviewed, John Hennessy gives no credit to Lotus regards the base car being an Elise / Exige. Beyond the big stuff like the chassis tub, doors, glass, interior etc all being Lotus, all the smaller items that really make a road car, a road car, are Lotus too : HVAC, seals, lights, bulkheads... even the alarm & central locking is Lotus.

I don't accept in any way, that the Venom is like a 'modern Cobra'... without Lotus, there would be no Venom as it is today... its would more like a FF GTM kit car.

Lotus developed the Elise GT1 back in the mid 90's to take over from the ageing Esprit. It took Hennessy 2 decades to copy the idea.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The engine has the same stalling problem my "black dash" Exige has...

John couldn't work that gremlin out of the Lotus.

·
Registered
906 Posts
So many cars I would take before I purchased that....the new Ford GT comes to mind.

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
C'mon guys. Such rare exclusivity like this commands ridiculous overpricing. If demand is already high for a limited product, why as a business owner would you not raise the price to limit it to only the 1% of purchasers? Hennessey knows people will pay 7-figures for these cars, so he's not in danger of going under anytime soon...even with all the bitter critics still rooting for him to fail.

Ugh, there isn't a bag big enough for the #63 douche in this video. Anyone who stops a car and proceeds to lean on it while asking troll-like questions deserves a physical response.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
C'mon guys. Such rare exclusivity like this commands ridiculous overpricing. If demand is already high for a limited product, why as a business owner would you not raise the price to limit it to only the 1% of purchasers? Hennessey knows people will pay 7-figures for these cars, so he's not in danger of going under anytime soon...even with all the bitter critics still rooting for him to fail.

Ugh, there isn't a bag big enough for the #63 douche in this video. Anyone who stops a car and proceeds to lean on it while asking troll-like questions deserves a physical response.

Someone gets it!!!!

Supply and demand. If you know you can only supply a handful and you found enough people who will pay anything for that same handful, charge a corresponding handful.

It's only stupid if you didn't do your research first to match those three things (price, production, and buyers). I've not heard anything about him struggling, so I'm going to guess he got it right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Lotus Driving Academy
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, before I made this video seeing john in person, I actually drove my elise to Hennessey while on the way to san Antonio since its literally right off the freeway and they were happy to take me back and show me the world record venom sitting in the shop. It was cool, the guy also told me they were in the stages of building a car on their own platform, 100% Hennessey, it was under a black cover, obviously he wouldn't show me, but it would seem to be the next logical thing to do for Hennessey since he has taken a lot of criticism for the elige venom kit corvette ford brembo monster machine people say it is.

·
Registered
839 Posts
The 1st Venom made went to a buyer in Dubai. Within months it was back on the market, the owner had tired of it, Its been for sale for years sitting in a low key garage in the backwaters of the city. The 'sales guys' know nothing about it apart from the price (commission sale)

On close inspection, although the car's been hardly driven since build, it already looks saggy... for example the rear clam has caught on the doors as it opens, so both panels, on both sides are scraped down to the fibre.

Sure, John needs wealthy dreamers & douchbags to by his cars and not question the price or engineering too much.

·
Lotus Driving Academy
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 1st Venom made went to a buyer in Dubai. Within months it was back on the market, the owner had tired of it, Its been for sale for years sitting in a low key garage in the backwaters of the city. The 'sales guys' know nothing about it apart from the price (commission sale)

On close inspection, although the car's been hardly driven since build, it already looks saggy... for example the rear clam has caught on the doors as it opens, so both panels, on both sides are scraped down to the fibre.

Sure, John needs wealthy dreamers & douchbags to by his cars and not question the price or engineering too much.
Isn't it about dick swinging, and not the price? It's the fastest "production" car on the planet, right?
Haha yes, him and Christan von koinegsegg don't get along very well from the videos I've seen so, I suppose it is a sausage swinging fest

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Isn't it about dick swinging, and not the price? It's the fastest "production" car on the planet, right?
i thought "they" revoked that title since its not a production car - its a modified car, and only like less than 10 built.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts