The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I received my 83 Esprit it had two JPS stickers on it. I'm wondering if this signifies a special edition of the vehicle, or if they are simply decals applied by the previous owner. Someone told me the JPS vehicles were black.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Decals. There were no G Bodied Esprits that were JPS editions. They did an Essex edition but that was before US cars were available. There is one or two in the US, I assume brought in under the show and display rules.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Decals. There were no G Bodied Esprits that were JPS editions. They did an Essex edition but that was before US cars were available. There is one or two in the US, I assume brought in under the show and display rules.
Nope. There were a few JPS G bodied Esprits, but not Turbo. They were S2's. It's estimated between 100 and 150 were made, and a few made their way to the US legally.

The guy who heads up Lotus Ltd in the DC area I believe still has one, in need of restoration, that he's always willing to sell. I believe he's got most of the bits to put it right, including all the decals and stickers, but it's one of those projects that never gets done.

The one that Lotus built and gave to Mario Andretti is in private hands in the US, and shows up from time to time at various car shows and cruise ins. I believe it's shown up somewhat recently in the south, I believe in the Atlanta area, maybe.

As far as the Essex, the few that were brought into the country were brought in legally. I believe of the 2 or 3, only one is still running. That one is in the mid Atlantic area and shows up often at British car shows in the region. It belonged to a long standing Lotus guy in the Philly area for a lot of years, and I believe he sold it to its current owner 2 years or so ago. The current owner also owns a later model Esprit, and it's not unusual to see him and a friend show up in both at local car shows. I remember seeing that Essex for the first time at LOG 12 in Leesburg, VA in 1992.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
You are correct, he has a Turbo and I neglected to put the word "Turbo" in my response. There are several JPS S2's around...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Not quite correct... there are a small number of G-body JPS Esprits in the US, they are black with gold stripe saying "World Champion" which I have seen three. Tomica die-cast made Hot-Wheel size cars with pop-up headlamps by flipping a little lever under the car.
They were issued in Honor of Mario Andretti winning the 1978 Grand Prix World Championship and Lotus winning the Constructers Championship. Mario was supposed to have been issued #1. The original count was only supposed to be 100 but some were for Federal {US} distribution, some were UK and then there was Row which were exported to other countries.

Lotusforsale beat me to the post so mine is second, "Being second is the first to come in last... Ayrton Senna"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Love to find a nice model S2 JPS car or a decal JPS set that could be applied to later model 'G' car?

Any idea's?

Love all the JPS stuff!

ncng

·
Registered
320 Posts
There were actually 2 JPS factory liveried JPS Turbo esprits, they were produced for then Lotus F1 drivers Nigel Mansell and Elio De angelis.

They were black dry sump early turbo esprits with red leather interiors and the "decals" were actually hand sign painted by Paul Crowland who also did the F1 cars for Team Lotus.

I believe Elios car was LHD and is still owned by his family in Italy and the ex. Mansell car is owned by a guy in London, England.

This is the Mansell car in 1980.

A few guys have added JPS decals to black turbos over the years to get the look, but those were the only 2 done by Lotus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts