The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it finally happened; I crashed. Fortunately not in the Lotus, where it probably would have cost a lot more, but in the Radical SR3 I rented this weekend because the Lotus was down. The video shows it better than I can describe, but basically the guy I was chasing down spun and I spun trying to avoid him, and hit him. This was in an actual race, btw.

This has always been my big problem with W2W: someone else can do something that costs you big bucks, and you just have to eat it. The same situation is possible in lapping days, of course, but is far, far less common. I'm sure some of you are tempted to throw out the old "Then get a spec miata" or "Race what you can afford to total", but that's not the issue. Being able to afford it and thinking the costs are justifiable are two different things. Basically, I would rather time trial a car I liked than race a Spec Miata.

Anyway, everyone's fine, his car has about $1500 worth of damage (somehow) and mine had about $10k. We ended up...uh...ass-to-ass when we contacted. The impact was so small I never would have imagined the damage. I saw him drive off, and his wing stays were broken and I thought "Wow, his wing is broken". Little did I realize what the back of my car looked like.

It also, as these things always do, seemed to take forever. When I watch the video I can't believe how short it is; it seemed like I was spinning for 10 seconds before the impact. It took so long I was thinking to myself that I must have slid right by him as we hadn't hit yet. Not so much, it turns out

Some pics:

"My" very nicely prepared SR3...

After I made some downforce adjustments...

The full extent of the damage

Bonus points to anyone who can guess what the single most expensive part was...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'll go with the diffuser?

Glad you're OK

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Sorry about the accident, we heard it.

I hear those broken parts found a new home! That was generous.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
John, sorry to hear.

Not sure if you knew, but the wing you bought found a new home in the back up the pickup truck of the guy with the Se7en. Looks like the part is going to be chopped and retrofitted to the thing...

Is the part visible?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Did the rental cover the damage as well or is that coming out of pocket?

I couldn't get the video to load but het, you made it out OK.
:up:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
oh no. I knew about the wreck but I didn't know thats the one you were driving John. Sorry to hear.

At least those parts did find a new home. I'm going to guess..... the diffuser is the most expensive part.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Sorry to hear. Glad you're ok, though.

That is the thing about racing: You WILL crash at some point. Doesn't matter how good you are, it's going to happen so you have to budget for it. :( I want to experience W2W racing, but can't afford that kind of scratch for what looks like a relatively minor wreck. That's why I'm going with spec 944. If I total the car and nothing is salvageable, I'm onlyout $8K. Still a lot (to me) but it won't kill my bank account.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'll guess the tube chassis.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
sorry to hear, but glad you're OK. Was this an arrive-and-drive race series or an open track-day where passing was allowed? Most arrive-and-drive race series have a sliding scale of maximum liability for damages. First accident with Skip Barber is around $5 K IIRC. Goes up for habitual offenders.
There are no cheap accidents racing, just ones that are less expensive.
This is a bad addiction if your last name isn't Rockafeller.:shrug:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a bummer, but that's the way things go. I was talking to a pro racer we've gotten to know recently, who told me that he never drives a car that's not insured for the race in question. Ironically, he learned that lesson after crashing a Radical in a European race and taking out the front of the car (also $10k). He mentioned that in the Nurnburgring 24, his teammate bounced their $400k 996 RS off walls on both sides of the track, taking out all the bodypanels on the car...he paid the $8k deductible, and thanked his lucky stars it was insured. Sounds pretty good to me; from now on I'm not racing anything that's not insured for it.

As to the bonus points, the answer is the dual-element carbon wing at $3k. A close second was the rear bodywork at $2400, with the diffuser coming in at $1k. The bit of the chasis that is pretzeled is actually just a little subframe that holds the wing ($1k). The chassis itself was undamaged. The most suprisingly expensive bit, to me, was the muffler at $600...somehow that doesn't seem right :(

As to that wing, I regretted not taking it after I got home. I cut off the decent part of the engine cover and took it home as a trophy instead, but I keep thinking about that wing (it was a REALLY nice dry fiber wing). Oh well.

As to other questions, this was in a race, not lapping. There was no insurance, you just paid for what you broke, if anything. I MAY do it again, but I'm making sure the damn thing is insured next time :) You live and learn...if you're lucky ;)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I had almost the same wreck in a Spec Miata race, but I was the guy in front doing the spinning and we ended up nose-to-nose. Very similar, I had about $750 worth of damage and he had thousands. :wallbang:

I felt awful. The guy (Who I'd met recently when he was doing his driving school to get his license) was incredibly cool about it. I still feel terrible about it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
This is one reason I love my FFR cars.
The red Cobra was taken into the wall at 70 mph at Road Atlanta (after the carousel) by my wife. Total repair including paint: $3800.
I got hit in the side by an American Iron car a few weeks ago coming out of a turn, the car's right front tire hit my side panel and tried to climb into the cockpit (see the abrasion on the meatball). The fiberglass panel flexed so far back it dented the aluminum piece seen through the vent (has black tape on it to replace the rivets temporarily.) The body didn't even crack. I had to replace the sidepipe (luckily I had an extra that came with the car) as the bracket was crushed in. Total expense $0.0, aside from time. Well, I have to replace the vinyl meatball. $25. Imagine what that would have done to a Lotus. It's not clear from the photo, but the aluminum is 4 inches inboard of the body panel, that's how far the collision pushed in the panel.

On the red Cobra the 4 inch tube frame chassis pushed the (3 deep and 5 feet high) tirewall back about 4 feet. Luckily she was wearing a HANS and didn't get a scratch.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
This reminds me...does anyone have a good contact for track day insurance for a lotus? not racing or time trials, just HPDE or equivalent will do.

I tried contacting Chris at Furman Insurance but they are not quite up and running yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wow! I didn't realize there were so many pricey pieces on a Radical! I honestly would have expected it to take a lot more to cost that much!

Steve

1 - 20 of 52 Posts