The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of joining SCCA, however, is joining Cal Club different than an SCCA Membership? Also, does anyone want to be the member that referred me?

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
I'm in the process of joining SCCA, however, is joining Cal Club different than an SCCA Membership? Also, does anyone want to be the member that referred me?
You don't need a member to refer you to join SCCA. Just need a few bucks. And you need to know the secret handshake, of course.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Calclub is the organization that runs most of the SCCA events down here in Socal.
The way I joined SCCA was by just attending one of their weekend driving schools...you can then get a novice license, and then start racing!
After 2 races you can get your regional SCCA license...I believe after 4 races, your national license.

You can register for events and get news bulletins through Cal club...have fun it's a blast!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
you can join SCCA w/o doing any driving events or anything. they will be happy to take your $ just the same.

you do need to be a member to particpate in the events as a driver, or to be in a hot area of the track, or to be a part of the track crew.
I have a freind who helps me out at the track sometimes, he is not an scca member, and they will NOT let him be out in the hot pit with me, or out on the grid.
he has access to the cold pits though, and spectator areas as well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Matt,

CalClub (short for California Sports Car Club), is the local SCCA region in Southern California. If you sign up with SCCA, they will assign CalClub to you as your region. The same way if you sign up through CalClub, you will automatcially be signed up for SCCA, as well. If you sign up with an existing member (like me--pick me :wave:), you will get up to $30 discount on the annual dues, and I will get $15 off my renewal. You can sign up online at scca.com also and if you use my number you will get a discount.

Not sure what your interest is. However, there is an autocross event at the former El Toro Marine Air Station in Irvine this Sunday. If you are interested we can meet up there.

Link to the autocross site is:
California Sports Car Club - Solo - SCCA

Tony

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on autocrossing a '68 BMW. Not sure if I can make one this Sunday, I'm moving out of the house on the 29th and will most likely be preparing in some way (Moving to Cal State Long Beach). I like the idea of the driving school, I haven't done one of those yet. I'll try and see when the next one is.

As far as referral, I figured if everyone can save money why not do it!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I plan on autocrossing a '68 BMW. Not sure if I can make one this Sunday, I'm moving out of the house on the 29th and will most likely be preparing in some way (Moving to Cal State Long Beach). I like the idea of the driving school, I haven't done one of those yet. I'll try and see when the next one is.

As far as referral, I figured if everyone can save money why not do it!
Check out the Evo School:
Home

Their West Coast classes are over this season. If you attend an autocross event, an instructor can ride with you as a novice.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Go for it. There are always a lot of novice drivers just like you at every event and Calclub is always happy to introduce new drivers to the sport.

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I can't find a driving school to do in the next month or two :(. Should I just attend an autocross?
Do the San Diego Autocross school next month.

Come down to El Toro on Saturday. I will be there after we do Cars and Coffee.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I can't find a driving school to do in the next month or two :(. Should I just attend an autocross?
In case it isn't clear--you need a car that can pass tech (roll bar, fire extinguisher, +++) in addition to all your personal gear (Nomex, helmet +++) before you can go to an SCCA driver's school--they are not HPDE events!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn I already have a family conflict on the 19th. And my car doesn't have a roll bar or fire extinguisher :(.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts