The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi all,

I'm going through a full re-paint. It will be awesome, of course, but I'm keen to have it exactly right. I'm having some trouble locating the S2 JPS side decals. That is, the broad dual pin-stripe-like decals on either side. You can see what I mean here:

I've got a guy who says he can make them, but he's talking about having to do joins, as he's not confident in producing the intersection at the front and the little flare up the tail.... he could do it off a file, and that's one option if anyone has it.

BUT, ideally I could just buy the buggers. Any ideas?

(note the ones on SJ Sportscars are NOT the correct decals - I tried and had to send them back)

thanks all.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Did you trace the existing graphics before the bodyshop removed them?

The font that Lotus used was a unique one and the letters taper down on the passenger side and up on the drivers side (LHD car), and the letters are of different thicknesses.

I would imagine most sign shops would photograph the existing graphics, scan the image and digitise it to produce the decal and unless the image is perfect they wont be the same.

The original decals were die cut and were mega expensive to produce, the tooling used was probably scrapped years ago.

If it was my car , I would have traced the existing graphics, painted the car in gold basecoat in the area of the stripes, masked the stripes out with 3M fineline tape, and in the area of the lettering applied tuffback masking paper and traced the lettering on to it and cut the letters with an exacto knife.

Remove the excess masking leaving the letters, paint the car with black basecoat , remove the masking then clear the whole car.

If the paint was then sanded with 1500 grit then buffed out it would look great, and you would not have a raised edge around the letters like the decal would have.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you trace the existing graphics before the bodyshop removed them?
He is talking about tracing them now, yes.

The font that Lotus used was a unique one and the letters taper down on the passenger side and up on the drivers side (LHD car), and the letters are of different thicknesses.
Very interesting, thanks. I will pass this on.

I would imagine most sign shops would photograph the existing graphics, scan the image and digitise it to produce the decal and unless the image is perfect they wont be the same.
He's committed to trial and error, so I guess we'll get as close as we can.

If it was my car , I would have traced the existing graphics, painted the car in gold basecoat in the area of the stripes, masked the stripes out with 3M fineline tape, and in the area of the lettering applied tuffback masking paper and traced the lettering on to it and cut the letters with an exacto knife.

Remove the excess masking leaving the letters, paint the car with black basecoat , remove the masking then clear the whole car.

If the paint was then sanded with 1500 grit then buffed out it would look great, and you would not have a raised edge around the letters like the decal would have.
When he suggested painting them on I wasn't keen; I want it to be as close to the original as possible, as it is a pretty rare car. But this is good in case the decals do screw us up too much. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Did you ever find a source for the stickers? There has been some discussion recently on the s1s2s3owners list at Yahoo, but no source identified. If the price were right, I'd like to put them back on my car (US JPS #24).

Just out of curiousity, how much did it cost to have the car repainted? Mine has lots of paint imperfections, and if the stickers are goign to be expensive, I might just have to do a respray first.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I made up a pattern on PowerPoint for my 911 stripes on the sides and a sign store cut them to order. Someone may have that electronic template for the JPS so the tedious work is already done.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Why don't you just get them right from Lotus?
Nose Badge, Lotus logo, black/gold Type 72 C079U4607F
Decal, Elise, gold USA only, 50 off 72D limited edition A121U0179F
Badge, L O T U S, 'raised gold' letters USA only, 50 off 72D limited edition A121B0143F
Decal, 72D, gold Not illus., USA only, 50 off 72D limited edition A121U0180F

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why don't you just get them right from Lotus?
Nose Badge, Lotus logo, black/gold Type 72 C079U4607F
Decal, Elise, gold USA only, 50 off 72D limited edition A121U0179F
Badge, L O T U S, 'raised gold' letters USA only, 50 off 72D limited edition A121B0143F
Decal, 72D, gold Not illus., USA only, 50 off 72D limited edition A121U0180F
I think you may have the decals confused, the ones needed are for the 1978/79 JPS Esprit S2 Commemorative Model. Only the first part number is correct.

Roo
Lotus Esprit S2 JPS

·
Registered
605 Posts
Years ago I had a commemorative and had a partial respray done. The shop painted on a new decal and it was perfect.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you ever find a source for the stickers? There has been some discussion recently on the s1s2s3owners list at Yahoo, but no source identified. If the price were right, I'd like to put them back on my car (US JPS #24).

Just out of curiousity, how much did it cost to have the car repainted? Mine has lots of paint imperfections, and if the stickers are goign to be expensive, I might just have to do a respray first.
Sorry for late response. I had Peter Washington form Mountain Motorsports (mountainmotorsports.com.au) do a hand trace, source the material (expensive Avery material) and print / cut. They came out quite well.

However, the yahoo guys found that French place as well. It's la boutik. Crazy cheap at 175 euros. I'm not sure that Peter could match that, but I'm curious about the quality, particularly the colour match. It took quite some hunting to get just the right gold. e-stickers.fr also say they can do the front laurel leaf, which Peter wasn't able to do. But, I've asked for just the laurel (not the full set) and haven't gotten a response.... would love to know if anyone has bought these and what they thought.

Either way you have got postage costs to consider.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should have added that the laurel leaf I did buy from SJ was old stock and in very bad shape. SJ have no plans to get more in (at the time of writing). Not really a comment on SJ - these things happen with old parts I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts