The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On those rare occasions when I’m using low revs (so as not to wake the neighbours, or in slow city traffic) I get some serious vibration when slipping the clutch to engage 2nd and 3rd.

Just me?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Mine is smooth...I think this is a sign of a problem.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
How low are the revs? Somewhere below 2000 and the engine starts lugging as the RPMs are too low for suffient torque to be generated. The only solution there is to use more Rs. Or add cubic inches!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
No problem with mine, never experienced this.:confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Low revs, 1500-2500, but gentle clutch feathering under gentle acceleration.

Think maintaining 5-10 mph after going over a speedbump, or keeping up with stop/go traffic.

Slipping the clutch in these circs. causes vibration.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Low revs, 1500-2500, but gentle clutch feathering under gentle acceleration. Think maintaining 5-10 mph after going over a speedbump, or keeping up with stop/go traffic. Slipping the clutch in these circs. causes vibration.<<<

I'll have to try this out....I don't generally hit 2nd/3rd at 5-10 MPH and then slip the clutch. From the manual 1st provides 5.1 MPH per 1000 Rs, 2nd provides 7.7, while 3rd yields 10.7.

So at 5 MPH 1st gear would be at about 1000 RPMs. 2nd would be below idle and 3rd would be way, way below idle RPM.

At 10 MPH 1st would produce about 2000 Rs. 2nd and 3rd would lead to 1300 RPMs / 935 RPMs.

Sounds super low and below where the motor would be comfortable or safe operating when slipping the clutch.

Maybe your exhaust is too loud for the situation? Is it stock?

Once you have just a few MPH the car can be easily driven away in 2nd gear very gently without any drama. But in that case the clutch is all the way out. I sometimes do that if I am rolling in traffic as there is no need to go back to first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stan, yes, when I pull away in 2nd I get very bad vibes at anything less than 4/5000 rpm.

I got a problem. I'll take it in.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm new to stick (bad choice to learn in, huh...), but I've found the elise setup almost impossible to stall, compared with the toyota sedan I spent a couple hours trying stick out with... I've been driving mostly in 2-3500rpm range PERIOD getting used to the car (2nd day), I would guess the engine bogs down about 1500...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts