The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose many have heard the news.

Sutil went off and a tractor was removing the car when, a lap later, Bianchi lost it in the same place and crashed into the tractor, all in such conditions that the helicopter could not safely fly into and out of the scene.

Bianchi suffered head trauma and was unconscious in the cockpit. He was taken by ambulance to hospital, where he is currently in surgery.

Our prayers and best wishes go to Jules and to his family at this time.

Stephen.

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
At what point with a typhoon to the south and torrential bands of rain passing thru does F1 have the balls to delay the race for a day??

·
Vendor
3,189 Posts
The problem was getting to Russian in time for this weekend's race. However, the race was largely no problem with too much rain. It was a wet race but they were on inters for most of it. There are some issues maybe with the flagging. I've seen posts that maybe he got a green flag instead of the double waving yellows.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Time will tell and a lot of assumptions. Yellow flags, green still waving, should the safety car have been out, I even read things about the medical car taking to long.

Wet race, pouring and they are on inters. All of the drivers are big grown men and can call it a day any time they want. I once rode my bike 3 hours in a typhoon trying to get from Seoul Korea to Wonju. I made it but stupid decision on my part. I can only imagine racing in one!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, time will tell. The race was mostly run on inters, but the rain started pouring heavily 6 laps before Sutil lost it. Massa was going on about it on the radio.

Sutil loses it, and while the tractor is coming out to attend to his car, the green flags are waving on the video in what is clearly at least a standing yellow condition (I think it should have been a double waving yellow, given the conditions of darkness, a car in the barriers at that corner, and increasingly heavy rain).

I also don't believe a race should be green unless the helicopter is able to fly.

At any rate, I hope Bianchi is going to recover. I heard two reports - one that he is breathing on his own, and a later one that he's on a respirator.

Stephen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
None of this is good news:

MEDIA INFORMATION │ 7 October 2014
A Statement from the family of Jules Bianchi
Yokkaichi, Japan
7 October 2014, 23.00hrs local/15.00hrs BST
The following statement is provided by the family of Jules Bianchi, in conjunction with the Mie General Medical Center, and is distributed on their behalf by the Marussia F1 Team.
“This is a very difficult time for our family, but the messages of support and affection for Jules from all over the world have been a source of great comfort to us. We would like to express our sincere appreciation.
Jules remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the Mie General Medical Center in Yokkaichi. He has suffered a diffuse axonal injury and is in a critical but stable condition. The medical professionals at the hospital are providing the very best treatment and care and we are grateful for everything they have done for Jules since his accident.
We are also grateful for the presence of Professor Gerard Saillant, President of the FIA Medical Commission, and Professor Alessandro Frati, Neurosurgeon of the University of Rome La Sapienza, who has travelled to Japan at the request of Scuderia Ferrari. They arrived at the hospital today and met with the medical personnel responsible for Jules’ treatment, in order to be fully informed of his clinical status so that they are able to advise the family. Professors Saillant and Frati acknowledge the excellent care being provided by the Mie General Medical Center and would like to thank their Japanese colleagues.
The hospital will continue to monitor and treat Jules and further medical updates will be provided when appropriate.”

Read more at Marussia F1 Team

Diffuse axonal injury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,090 Posts
Judging by the videos released one could speculate that Jules will be lucky to come out of this, let alone without permanent brain injury. That kind of wreck/impact can end a career and life itself as you've known it. Such a sad and unfortunate turn of events. Its truly heart wrenching to even think about the possible severity and what goes with it.

·
Illegal Alien
4,786 Posts
Sad news today of Jules' passing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts