2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automobile magazine article on PSC

http://www.puresportscar.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3882#post3882

Acceleration 0-60 mph :

1) Noble M12 GTO-3R : 3.8 sec.
2) Dodge Viper SRT-10 : 4.2 sec.
3) Porsche GT3 : 4.3 sec.
4) Caterham Super 7 Superlight : 4.4 sec.
5) Ferrari Challenge Stradale : 4.7 sec.
5) Mitsubishi Evolution RS : 4.7 sec
7) Lotus Elise : 4.9 sec.
8) Honda S2000 : 5.6 sec.
9) Dodge SRT-4 : 6.1 sec.

Braking 70-0 mph :

1) Ferrari Challenge Stradale : 160 ft.
2) Caterham Super 7 Superlight : 163 ft.
3) Noble M12 GTO-3R : 165 ft.
4) Dodge Viper SRT-10 : 166 ft.
5) Porsche GT3 : 168 ft.
6) Lotus Elise : 170 ft.
7) Hona S2000 : 171 ft.
7) Mitsubishi Evolution RS : 171 ft.
9) Dodge SRT-4 : 185 ft.

Lap Times (2.3 mi. Barber Circuit) :

1) Caterham Super 7 Superlight : 1:41.7
2) Noble M12 GTO-3R : 1:42.0
3) Ferrari Challenge Stradale : 1:42.8
4) Porsche GT3 : 1:44.1
5) Dodge Viper SRT-10 :1:45.3
6) Lotus Elise : 1:46.9
7) Mitsubishi Evolution RS : 1:48.2
8) Honda S2000 : 1:50.8
9) Dodge SRT-4 : 1:52.4

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Except for the data Dan.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have to say I am disappointed with the result. I expected better performance out of a Sport Pack car. I think the 0-60 was not an actual figure as it has an asterisk.

I expect the lateral G's and braking on R compound tires to have exceeded to S2000 by more. In previous tests an Elise 111s' cornering exceeded the Ferrari on the standard tires. It has been previously stated that the skidpad target was 1.0G for the standard car and 1.2G for the Sports Pack. I realize the G forces aren't directly comparable but clearly Lotus thought the R compound tires and stiffer suspension should a lot of cornering power. It looks like a standard Elise would have faired worse than I care to think.

Maybe it was a bad day and the setu wasn't right or the car had been off orad and the suspension was tweaked. I hope futre tests show the Elise with the Sport Pack in a better light.

Greg

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
originally posted by Racer X
I have to say I am disappointed with the result. I expected better performance out of a Sport Pack car.
me, too. I don't understand how the evo 0-60 is 4.7s. Its power to weight is almost 12. The sport pack Elise has to be at most 4.7s.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can't work out why the lateral g figures are maxed out on different sides for different cars. It suggest to me that the drivers didn't really take the time to learn the cars properly as clearly they are cornering faster on different corners depending on what the car is.

The journalism was vacuous and empty, I suspect the performance tests might have been too. Not that I'm trying to defend the Elises performance, just that I'm struck by the incredibly asine comments in the reviews. Is that magazine always as bad?

The Evo has a 0-60 of 4.7 because its 4 wheel drive. Unfortunately you can't do many standing starts in them before you start destroying clutches and diffs. In the UK I'm lead to believe that they are only warrantied for 3 standing starts! The Evo is a very quick car on the road, its just plagued with understeer on the track.

·
Registered
387 Posts
When Automobile Mag came out years ago, I added that subscription to my many other car mags, R&T, Car & Driver, Autoweek, Panorama, etc., etc. After all, Mr. Davis, the former EIC of C&D was its founder, I thought it would be great.

I put up with it for two years, finally cancelled and have never picked one up again. Its the worst car mag in America, all they do is pander to the auto companies for advertising, and the links between editorial content and ad $ is linear and direct. Its a disgrace.

Don't expect any kind of useful comparo out of them ... will never happen. I'm not even going to by this issue for my Lotus library .... will not support them in any fashion.

Steve

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to apologize for posting this POS. I was looking forward to this review for a while and it turned out to be a steaming pile of blandness. I like Kitman's column and Cumberford's design analysis, but the mag HAS gone downhill-no doubt about it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
What happened to the "great brakes", which wa reported here a few weeks back? This article does not show the wonderful stoping power of teh elise, if it does have wonderful stoping power.

adamp

·
Registered
387 Posts
JD, that was not directed at you in any fashion, just ranting about how much I dislike Automobile mag. This article is just what I'd expect from them ... No real critical analysis, pat everyone on the back, hope that they intive you to their next party, sell them some ad space. Davis sold out big time. Steve

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree... The article is cr*ap, but MAN is that Noble M12 a beast. I keep getting more and more amazed with the more I read about it. If Noble could sell a complete car here in the US for around $60K, I would be the first in line. An Elise and a Noble parked in the garage would be Nirvana.....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't think there are any surprising results here, there are going to be a lot of cars that will out preform the Elise, plain and simple. It is not a surprise that the Elise is middle of the pack with this group of super cars, no surprise at all. As to the braking, that is no surprise either, earlier reports of super brakes are just not realistic.
This car does not have magical powers. But, for the price it sure performs well compared to cars that cost 3 and 4X. And the way it achieves it's preformance and level of performance are unique and that's why I like the car, but a lot of people are going to be disappointed at their first track day with the Elise.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
_JD_ said:
No disrespect taken. The article was a letdown plain and simple.
Let me qualify this by saying that the articles content (lack of) was disapointing, not the performance of the Elise. I thought the Sport pack-equipped car performed mostly as expected, I just thought since Automobile was granted a whole day w/ the car at Barber that the Elise would'nt have to share the spotlight.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Esprit said:
I agree... The article is cr*ap, but MAN is that Noble M12 a beast. I keep getting more and more amazed with the more I read about it. If Noble could sell a complete car here in the US for around $60K, I would be the first in line. An Elise and a Noble parked in the garage would be Nirvana.....
Yeah and the soon to be released M400 is even more of a beast... Top speed 185 Mph, 0-60 3.5 sec and 425 Bhp.... all this on a car weighing in at 2200 lbs. The M400 makes the 3R look slow. Watch out Enzo!!!

Note the Exige styling cues on the M400 air intakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I didn't read the article, but did like the little graph.......

I think in most cases it is the same driver of all of the cars... they get maybe 10 minutes to get familiar with the car, then run a handfull of timed laps. I am certain each car is not being driven at the same level.

some cars are pretty easier to quickly get comfortable with compared to others. I would imagine it takes lots of seat time behind a Viper to get to 10/10's..... compared to an Evo which is fairly easy.

O well.... at least the Elise stomped on the Neon. :D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The performance numbers look fishy. For example, the Viper pulled 0.94g braking and took 166ft to stop from 70mph. The Elise is quoted as pulling 1.01g under braking but took longer to stop (170ft)? :confused:

I wouldn't believe them at all.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Tintin said:
The performance numbers look fishy. For example, the Viper pulled 0.94g braking and took 166ft to stop from 70mph. The Elise is quoted as pulling 1.01g under braking but took longer to stop (170ft)? :confused:

I wouldn't believe them at all.

use the numbers as a general guide to performance- not the end all and be all of actual car capability. i agree whole heartedly with the comments here comparing this car to the more pricey ones in the comparison. it will be the most fun car i anticipate owning for quite some time to come

1 - 20 of 30 Posts