The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Trying to judge a car by looking at and measuring numbers is age old game that full of pitfalls. It's like judging a sound system by the numbers, even a cheapo sound system can have outstanding numbers, but then you listen to it and is sounds like shite. Same with cars, great numbers, but the steering is numb, the brake pedal is dead, can't heel-toe, etc.

Let's not get too caught up in the numbers. Having driven a Fed car it IS a driver's car. The Elise will get from A-to-B faster and put a grin on the driver's face.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
431 Posts
I guess I am also surprised at some of the numbers (assuming for a minute that they are accurate), like cornering G's and braking distance. If they are fairly accurate I think it would mean that the Sports pack tires are more like street tire grip rather than Hoosier or Victoracer grip.
This past weekend I ran a solo2 event and there was a GT3 there. I run a stock class S2000 on Victoracers. The GT3 was stock and on its OEM tires. I am fairly experienced at solo2 , I do about 25 events a year over the last 7 years, the GT3 driver is even more experienced than me. I was about 1 second faster than the GT3 on a ~51 second course (it was a horsepower course to boot). Thats what I would expect with him not having R tires. That would mean I am probably pulling more cornering G's since I definitly am not making it up on the straights. Now I gotta believe I could run even better times in an Elise on victoracers so that would kinda imply that the sports pack tires do not have typical R compound type of grip (again assuming the numbers from the mag ar accurate). Guess we'll have to wait for more direct comparisions.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's funny...

This issue with the sports car comparison came in a brown wrapper telling me that if I didn't renew that this would be my last issue of Automobile magazine. I guess that will just have to be so, I've not been very impressed with the magazine in the last year so I'm dropping it. Very little of what they have to offer is either unique, inspired, or noteworthy in any way...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I just got my issue today and didn't find anything particularly bad about the article it is the same format used often by Automobile. It's quick and easy to read, hey it's no engineering analysis but a reasonable comparison. And I am not surprised at all that the Caterham Superlight R was quickest, if you have driven one you know what I mean. The Avon ACB-10 tires it was on are DOT legal race tires, and I mean race tires, I have a set on can't figure out how they managed a DOT certification.
Again I don't find anything surprising about the article or the raking of the cars in terms of track times.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for the info Chris. Thats good actually if they are more street tire like than Hoosier like. Knowing that, the numbers from the article seem to make a bit more sense to me. I was thinking the 048's were somewhat similar to Hoosiers due to their very low treadwear, but it looks like not.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I agree with Chris. The LSS tires are sticky for street, but Hoosiers are a whole different league.

Then again, you would be nuts to use Hoosiers on the street.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Yep, I'm sure Lotus went for the best STREET LEGAL tire that was track friendly they could find.

Can just imagine the lawsuits now if they put track tires on the car as OEM with the LSS. Ouch.

I expect it's against the law for a manufacturer to fit non DOT street tires on a street car anyway.>
CHris

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Oh I just remembered something from a string months ago, someone on this forum, some (let me see if I can put this nicely) less than knowledgable individual made the statement that Caterhams were nothing more than kit car dune buggies. Well a kit car dune buggie just kicked the you know what out of your precious Elise at Barber.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts