The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a lotus elise any year any color milies dont matter...but would there be anyone that would let me pay montly payments on it...again if you cant help me that is fine just please dont be rude about it...thanks everyone

·
Registered
314 Posts
Scott,
First off, welcome! I just want to clarify a little- it sounds like you are asking for a private owner to sell you their car and basically finance your car- am I correct?

If that is the case I would think that you might have an uphill battle.

Is a bank loan out of the question?

Im looking for a lotus elise any year any color milies dont matter...but would there be anyone that would let me pay montly payments on it...again if you cant help me that is fine just please dont be rude about it...thanks everyone

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no its not really OUT of the question but i just would like to see if somone would actully sell me a car for montly payments becasue im sure bank intrest rates would be pretty high and my age im pretty young so the car would be titled and put under my grandmaws name...but ill check out the rates and everthing from my bank and see what they say..but if there is anyone out there that would just even consider it ill talk to them and negotiate with them about it...thanks alot for being nice and replying sir

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
this is not a rude comment Scott, so please dont take it as such.
banks are in the business of lending money and charge interest rates depending on the RISK that they feel they are assuming.
Now you are asking a private person to sell you their car and assume risk, but charge less than people who do this all the time.
if you turn up to be a bad risk, they repo the car, one that was sold to a young guy,and we have already seen what SOME young guys (mike ATFU I think if you do a search and type in *putz*, only his threads should come up) do to their cars. I dont think are being realistic to expect someone to do this business transaction, and IF they did, they would likely want something extra for their assumed risk.
when i was 18 i got a truck from a dealership, and they nailed me for something like %20 interest, because i had no credit, and i was young.
go through grandma, and if you do so, make sure you keep your end of the bargain and make the payments, and take care of the car.
Also, dont get into this car and be finacially upsidedown, make sure you can get out of the car w/o you or granny taking a big hit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i understand what you mean sir..and everything you said makes complete sense...only thing i am scard of is where i live there probley like i dont know two three tops garages that could or i would trust to work on a car like this..i make a little over 850 a month so i am pretty sure i can afford the paymetns throuhg my grandmaw...but im going to collage here in a couple motnhs...and one question i do have are these car relible..or is it somting that will be in the garage every couple weeks...im also going to collage for auto machincs and body refinsig so ill have some help by my teachers and frinds..thanks for all you help

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I'll be happy to do it. Seriously.

You make all the payments to me, and when are done with them, I'll give you the car.

Edit:
If you make $850 a month and plan on buying a Lotus. How are you going to insure it, maintain it, put gas in it, or EAT? I would not bank on teachers and friends helping you to pay for your car either.

If you get it worked out, I'll be happy to work out a payment plan. How about $500 a month? And in just over 6.5 years I'll hand the keys over to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i read the thread sir ...im prettty sure no one wil be doing a monthley plan with me but it never hurts to true dreams can come true man ..but ill keep looking and hopefully i could get a loan mabye..but thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
i understand what you mean sir..and everything you said makes complete sense...only thing i am scard of is where i live there probley like i dont know two three tops garages that could or i would trust to work on a car like this..i make a little over 850 a month so i am pretty sure i can afford the paymetns throuhg my grandmaw...but im going to collage here in a couple motnhs...and one question i do have are these car relible..or is it somting that will be in the garage every couple weeks...im also going to collage for auto machincs and body refinsig so ill have some help by my teachers and frinds..thanks for all you help
850*12=$10,200

To be frank, you can't afford it - you're looking at a $650/mo. car payment.

As a general rule, you want to be making at least double what your car costs are and a Lotus would be a bad idea for primary transportation considering the possible downtime if something breaks or needs accident repair.

Assuming you're emancipated for collegiate purposes, you should be applying for food stamps, as you're below both the gross and net poverty line (get everything you can from the government while you can, you'll be paying for someone else once you're out of school and making a good living). You'll also want to factor in what an "asset" like this will do to your qualification.

Get a Honda and finish school first.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
scott, after reading your income level, and that you acknowledge that you will be going to school, which is a good thing , unless you want to earn
$850/mo for the rest of your life, plus whatever the govt hands out to you, here is what i would suggest;
go to school, get your degree, and have the lotus in the background as the reward for completing your education. it sucks to have to wait, but thats part of life, and you will enjoy the car much more when you can afford it, not when the car ends up owning you, which is what it sounds like in this case.
just get a decent little car, pay cash for it if you can.
i had a toyota celica in college, that was maybe $1500, it was perfect, it got me around, and was reliable, and i had no debt.

learn to live without debt, and you will be a rich man, learn to go into debt at a young age, and your screwed.

if you learn anything at this age, the above should be it.

debt is the enemy of finacial freedom, and why the banks and credit card companies love us so much.

if your looking for a car to make freinds or get laid, then you have issues beyond the help of school. Look at the car as a tool to use for transportation, thats all it is.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
i read the thread sir ...im prettty sure no one wil be doing a monthley plan with me but it never hurts to true dreams can come true man ..but ill keep looking and hopefully i could get a loan mabye..but thanks for all the responses
Frankly, you should just be patient and wait until you can reasonably afford the car without "tricks" (i.e. registering under someone else's name, unusual financing, etc.). When I was 18, I really wanted a 911 Turbo... couldn't afford it, and I probably wasn't responsible enough yet anyway. Bought it when I was 34... one of the happiest days of my life. And I still own it. Waiting didn't diminish the joy at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have a porsche 944 right now but i dont know i got it very cheap and i got what i payed for so ya...and my collgae is basicly payed for and im living with my dad while i go to collage dont really want to but its free...so i got alot of it payed for alredy i got scholerships and grants...but i see what your saying tho

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright ya i dont like wating but i deff see where your coming from thanks alot also for kind of talking me out of somting that could deffintly hurt me i appricate everyone help

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
my detector is now in full alert.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
any other time i'd say go for it, you're young. I've said this many times before. But in your case, definitely focus on your degree, and save as much cash as you can. Pick one up after graduation with your hard earned savings as a graduation present for yourself. Even if you're living under grandmas roof, which it sounds like you are, that'd still be stretching things. Even if you could reasonably afford it, don't underestimate the level of hatorade in college. There are a couple young guys on here that have gone through a bunch of crap taking their cars to school with them because other jealous people simply have no respect for another's property. Imagine how you'd feel if you came out of your dorm to see your car vandalized. And these cars are not cheap to fix. Welcome to the community. Stick around, read the threads and learn all you can about these cars if you are serious about getting one. Theres tons of information and things to look out for when considering a purchase. Eventually you'll be in a much more comfortable time and place in your life to get one of these. Just be patient.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Do you hate your grandmother that much? I hope she doesn't have any assets. If you get in an accident with minimal insurance, the other party will sue her and attach everything she has. Is having a Lotus worth that much to you to do this? And, out of my idle curiousity, are you from another country? If not let me know what college accepts people with your spelling and grammar, it could be a big help for other people here who have been rejected by other colleges and universities.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
And, out of my idle curiousity, are you from another country? If not let me know what college accepts people with your spelling and grammar, it could be a big help for other people here who have been rejected by other colleges and universities.
its an internet forum, not a thesis. relax dude.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts