The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
James A said:
Having toured the factory last week I can tell you the cars are not colored batched, the cars in production and waiting shipment are not/were not an any particular color group, it was all different colors.
Just a thought, but could there be a reason that Lotus may have decided to not do certain colors at a certain time, regardless of "batching?" That may explain some oddities and the differences in what we are hearing.

Just as a what if... what if they did not have enough Chrome Orange or Laser Blue?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Randy,

your thought could surely be correct - when they started the S2, they had severe problems with Lava Orange and Lightning Yellow, so these two colors were delayed. Maybe (!) they have quality or processing issues with some of the colors ? (just a wild guess however...)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
oh btw, someone asked about Chrome Orange. I was lucky enough to see a Lava Orange VX220 parked up behind a CO Exige. Lava orange is a bit darker/deeper. I preferred it personally. The pics I've seen online of CO seem to convey it very well.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
girlracer said:

- the US car has slightly softer tyres than the Euro one (convinced me to go LSS as I'm used to UK-spec cars)
when you say "softer," are you refering to the stock tires or the LSS tires? Does softer mean a softer compound or softer sidewall?

I associate softer comound with more grip, so if the US stock tires are softer than the UK stock tires, why would you want to go all the way to LSS if the stock tires have more grip already? (maybe I'm missing the point?)

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Re: Re: Just back from the factory!

BrianK said:
I associate softer comound with more grip, so if the US stock tires are softer than the UK stock tires, why would you want to go all the way to LSS if the stock tires have more grip already? (maybe I'm missing the point?)
I believe the compound is a bit softer and it's not a huge difference mostly likely. The sport pack tires are in a different class all together.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Re: Re: Just back from the factory!

BrianK said:
when you say "softer," are you refering to the stock tires or the LSS tires? Does softer mean a softer compound or softer sidewall?

Hi Brian,

Sorry - by softer I meant a softer ride, ie: not as hardcore. And he was talking about the stock set up yes, not the sports pack. My overall impression was that the sports pack would bring the car up to 111R standards, and that the stock US car set up was marginally not as 'sporty' as the stock UK, because of general road condition differences between the countries.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Genjuro said:
Did you see any Storm Ti with Red/Black interior!? If so, tell me, tell me now!!!! :D
hehe :D I saw a bunch of Storm Ti's, but all had black interiors. I had a proper look around/inside a silver car with red interior and it looked HOT. The red leather is awesome, dark red rather than warning sign red.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Just back from the factory!

girlracer said:
Hi Brian,

Sorry - by softer I meant a softer ride, ie: not as hardcore. And he was talking about the stock set up yes, not the sports pack. My overall impression was that the sports pack would bring the car up to 111R standards, and that the stock US car set up was marginally not as 'sporty' as the stock UK, because of general road condition differences between the countries.
Because the sports pack car has reportedly the same suspension as the U.K. Exige, I would probably disagree with that statement. The Exige is reportedly stiffer than the 111R. I don't imagine that the U.S. car is a lot softer, but I could be wrong. We do know the bushings have a bit more play because of the expansion joints.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
ahh - ok. My bad. Substitute '111R' for 'Exige' in what I said. He definitely told me the stock US car is not as much of a tough cookie as the stock UK, but he said it was a slight difference.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
girlracer said:
hehe :D I saw a bunch of Storm Ti's, but all had black interiors. I had a proper look around/inside a silver car with red interior and it looked HOT. The red leather is awesome, dark red rather than warning sign red.
Then that must mean that MY car is on the BOAT (wishful thinking)!!! MUAHAHAHHA MUHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks so much for posting all that. You sure took in a lot of info:eek: I'm really happy you found out the current production rate of the US cars. A few months ago someone who took the tour reported about 20 cars per week so it sounds like production has ramped a bit :clap:

If you had fun on the track you should definitely give autox a try when you move here.

To add to the color batching confusion, I wonder if, even though the cars are not batched in groups of the same color, maybe they only have a limited number of colors they can choose from in the paint booth at a given time. Meaning that maybe the cars are color batched in groups of say 6 different colors. Just pure speculation.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts