The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my dream car. Purchased from the original owner in Hawaii. However upon arrival the car runs terrible. The previous owner said ran great. I even had it checked by dealer in Honolulu. Something must have happened during shipping. I am told the car was jump started several times . It is dumping fuel into the cylinders. Does anyone know of a good repair shop in the Kansas City area?

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Bummer. It's possible the jump starts could have fried something, including the ECU.

Besides a visual check in the engine bay to ensure nothing obvious has come adrift, I would start by checking OBDII codes, quick and easy. Is the CEL on when it's running?

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
637 Posts
Got spark on all cylinders? Be real careful if it is pushing raw fuel through without burning. That's what killed mine.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply from you both. The only fault codes were for oxygen sensors but they are switching ok. I am about to check for spark on all 8 cylinders. Yes, I am trying keep the running to a minimum to minimize washing the cylinders down with raw fuel. I will keep you posted. I may have to ship the car to Texas to get it repaired since there does not seem to be anyone in the Kansas City area.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
What are the fault codes?

Is the problem consistent when first starting (cold engine) and after warmup?

Assuming you find spark on all cylinders, a few thoughts:
  1. Check for vacuum leaks
  2. Since there are fault codes for the O2 sensors, why not try replacing them?
  3. MAP sensor also plays into ECU mixture control, looks like it would be a simple replacement to try
  4. Per the service manual low battery voltage can also induce the ECU to increase fuel injector pulse width
  5. Check cats to ensure the core is intact (disconnect from muffler), possible that a fragile core might have been jolted and collapsed in the shipping process
  6. Pull the ECU and send out for check/reflash might be a last option before shipping the car

·
Registered
545 Posts
Of course it was perfect in Hawaii......and I believe everything else I'm told too. When I bought my Esprit, it was perfect too...wink wink. Hey, wanna buy a bridge (I do hope you understand the bridge joke).

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the car was jump started several times, it suggests that the battery was run completely dead. If you run the battery dead on a V8 (or disconnect it), it loses all the fuel trim data that it has accumulated, and it runs terribly (mine is almost undrivable because it dies at every stop light). What symptom has you drawing the conclusion about dumping fuel in the cylinders? On a cold start, you will be in full rich until the O2 sensor go into closed loop.

Depending on the answer to the above question, you might just need to allow the car to run per the procedure in the manual. After reconnecting a battery, I usually let mine idle through a couple fan cycles, first with A/C off, then with A/C on. After that I can drive around without a problem.

What is your fuel trim data showing? If it's seriously out-of-whack, that would lead me to the cam timing being off a tooth - particularly if there was any recent work done to prep it for sale. This is also very easy to check with the tolerance pins.

You can diagnose most of this with the OBDII live data, before you start throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
He did state he had a dealer check the car in Hawaii. I don't know if it was a dealer he chose and paid or one the seller referenced.

How was it anchored during shipping? Have you inspected underneath to see if anything was damaged or wires pulled loose? Give it a good overall visual inspection first. I would then pull the spark plugs to see if there is excess fuel in all or just some of the cylinders.

The comment from 71type65 about possible catalytic converter damage from rough handling is possible but the core of the cat tends to rattle when they come loose.

Disconnect the battery for a while to reset the electronics and have the battery tested or replaced. Unless it sat for more than about two weeks it should not need jumping so often with a good battery.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I do hope you don't think of me as harsh. The point is > when one buys a used car you throw a bunch of money at it to make it yours....or should I say....make it right. So you're doing that.....such that, especially if you're not something akin to an SAE certified mechanic....at first you throw the money at a person familiar with Esprits. I've dumped way more into mine than any financially sane person would do......and I don't care because I like the car. You must like it too....why else would you have had it shipped that distance.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,237 Posts
One Esprit owner here uses this Kansas shop for his S4s:

Omega Auto Clinic
2015 W 1st St,
Newton, KS 67114

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Interesting video on the beautiful S4s. He had a PPI done that failed to detect water in the oil and a required engine rebuild. How is that not a law suit?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
463 Posts
Interesting video on the beautiful S4s. He had a PPI done that failed to detect water in the oil and a required engine rebuild. How is that not a law suit?
Because PPI's are there to give you a warm and fuzzy and to see issues that can be seen on a brief inspection.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Because PPI's are there to give you a warm and fuzzy and to see issues that can be seen on a brief inspection.
Doesn't get much briefer than pulling the dipstick and looking at it. The shop that did that PPI failed their customer miserably. More like a PPF (pre-purchase fleece).

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone, thanks for all the helpful information. We finally pulled the plugs that were supposedly replaced just before shipping to me. They had not been changed, the covers were stuck on and the plug insulators had dirt/rust accumulation. 2 of the plugs would not fire at all. I checked the compression in the two dead cylinders and it was ok. Tomorrow I will put in a new set of plugs to see if I can get it running on 8 cylinders long enough to check the fuel injection. I hope all the dock workers did was flood the system.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
637 Posts
Having been involved in that industry, everyone onboard sat in that car and made vroom-vroom sounds. I did in an Auston Martin DB5.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
They probably left the key in the ignition when transporting it and in a Lotus that causes the AUX power to stay on. That kills the battery in short order. Even recharging a battery that was flatened, probably several times, renders it unusable in a Lotus. Jumping it is just enough to get it going but it will run badly. The V-8's want and need a fully charged battery or funny things happen. My suggestion would be to just replace the battery with a fresh one and see what happens.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1998 Lotus Esprit V8
141 Posts
Hopefully all works out. These cars are pretty analog... but sounds like you're moving in the right direction. If not - the Car Wizard at Omega Auto Clinic or Johnny at German Motorwerks can get it sorted. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@RMiller , If and when you do get your battery replaced, you may also need to do this step; "V8 ECU reset". I did this on my Esprit when my battery drained completely.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I killed off my battery by leaving the keys in the ignition a few times :(
I replaced it yesterday with an Optima yellowtop (previous one was an Optima redtop). Gone are my fluttery headlights at startup. Hurrah.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts