The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I had my first drive in my new to me S260 Exige and it was incredible. For those in Orange County, CA, I drove it up and down Ortega Hwy, and had soooo much fun. However, that road is pretty bumpy compared to when I rode motorcycles on it 10-15 years ago. I did wave to a Yellow Elise that was coming down and it looked like it may have been a series 1?

What worked really well was leaving it in 4th gear and just using the torque out of the corners and then sometimes braking into the next corner. I wasn't trying to set a world record pace, so I wasn't banging through the gears up to redline. I ended up driving it like a go kart and with left foot braking and right foot gas. I somewhat tried to practice what we called on bikes, "the pace". That is going the speed limit or close on the straights and then setting your speed without the brakes as you come into a corner and power out

I put in ear plugs, turned off the radio and enjoyed the entire drive.

That evening we went to a friends in San Clemente to celebrate my birthday, and I was surprised how even driving on the freeway, it is pretty uncomfortable and you feel every bump, reflector, etc. My wife thought it sounds like it is falling apart and wasn't too thrilled with it, but I didn't buy the car for her, she has a AMG Mercedes that she loves.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My buddy took one, will have to figure out how to get it on here. Evidently only 26 came into the US in 09. It is Ardent Red, 1 of only 4 made for the US in 09 and the last one made in that color per Lotus.

It came from the factory with Ohlins suspension, adjustable front roll bar, and a carbon roof, carbon trunk, some front panels in carbon, door sills, dash, etc. all in carbon fiber. Supposedly 09-10 were the lightest years made? The wing is carbon too, but I like the wing better on the 10-11 Final Editions.

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
Welcome to LT Rob! Congrats on your Exige S260 purchase! In the upper right are three dots. Click on them then head to FAQ and you'll get your questions answered on getting photos up.

Reactions: Racingrob

·
Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
584 Posts
You have a very special car indeed.
for '09 Lotus brought the 26 S260 cars into North America, which you have one of.
Then in '10 they changed the clams and wing. They brought 27 S260s with the carbon fiber bits into North America. Due to difficulty in getting the carbon parts they built the Final Edition, Roger Becker and Matte editions, but they came without the lightweight carbon fiber parts.
2011 cars were made from left over 2010 parts, but with 2011 VINs. Only 3 S260 cars were brought over (not counting the special edition cars mentioned above).
Lotus Sport was a different company that built the Lotus Cup cars. It was Arnie Johnson, who was instrumental in bringing Lotus to the US, who added the 'Sport' title to further distinguish our cars from the S240 variant.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I personally like the rear wing that you have and the only s260s I could find were later ones so I went with an S240.
Congrats and hope to see you around as I am in San Diego. We have a nice number of Exige/Elise here.
Joel

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Smile Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

The guy on the right was the previous owner, I'm in the back, and my best friend is the guy taking the selfie. My best friend and I bought it together. We have been friends since 89/90, when he hooked me up with sponsorship at Mission Yamaha to road race motorcycles.

We have raced karts together, ridden motorcycles for years, and our boys raced motorcycles together.

@JoelCool thank you for the additional information. I know some about these, but have more to learn. I was first introduced to Lotus when my dad autocrossed a 73 914 and one of his friends was smoking everyone with a Isotope Green Europa....guessing on color, it was that bright green and his nickname was frog.

Couple years later dad bought a blue 73 Lotus Europa twin cam special and he let me drive it as a kid. I really liked that car, and granted I was younger, but it was easier to slide into versus the Exige.

·
Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 1323599

The guy on the right was the previous owner, I'm in the back, and my best friend is the guy taking the selfie. My best friend and I bought it together. We have been friends since 89/90, when he hooked me up with sponsorship at Mission Yamaha to road race motorcycles.

We have raced karts together, ridden motorcycles for years, and our boys raced motorcycles together.

@JoelCool thank you for the additional information. I know some about these, but have more to learn. I was first introduced to Lotus when my dad autocrossed a 73 914 and one of his friends was smoking everyone with a Isotope Green Europa....guessing on color, it was that bright green and his nickname was frog.

Couple years later dad bought a blue 73 Lotus Europa twin cam special and he let me drive it as a kid. I really liked that car, and granted I was younger, but it was easier to slide into versus the Exige.
Beautiful looking car!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely a beautiful car. Hope to see you around. I used to road race as well at Willow Springs and a bit around the country.
Thank you, I'm really happy so far. Where do you live now? I'm in Mission Viejo. I see you have an Europa too. I haven't driven one since I was about 20 in 1984, I know it is slower than the Exige, but how does the handling compare?

Thank you to everyone for the positive comments.

Finally got the car I've wanted for a very long time. Long story, semi short.
  • In 03-04 I put a deposit down at the LA Auto Show on the new Lotus Elise that was coming to America.
  • Sold my 97 Viper in early 05 getting ready for the Lotus to come.
  • I had been looking to buy a business since 2000, and after a few that didn't pan out, finally bought a forklift business in Aug 2005.
  • Fall 05 get the word from Lotus to come pick out my options. I passed, since I had just closed on the business and used the Viper/Lotus money to help with the down payment.
  • Racing/Dance/08 Recession/College/Wedding for my daughter took the money for the past 17 years
  • Finally bought a 09 Lotus Exige S260 Sport with 22K miles.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
You have a very special car indeed.
for '09 Lotus brought the 26 S260 cars into North America, which you have one of.
Then in '10 they changed the clams and wing. They brought 27 S260s with the carbon fiber bits into North America. Due to difficulty in getting the carbon parts they built the Final Edition, Roger Becker and Matte editions, but they came without the lightweight carbon fiber parts.
2011 cars were made from left over 2010 parts, but with 2011 VINs. Only 3 S260 cars were brought over (not counting the special edition cars mentioned above).
Lotus Sport was a different company that built the Lotus Cup cars. It was Arnie Johnson, who was instrumental in bringing Lotus to the US, who added the 'Sport' title to further distinguish our cars from the S240 variant.
Another reason the SPORT label was used is because Lotus previously registered the CUP name in North America for the track, non-street legal version (CUP 240, CUP 255).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thank you, I'm really happy so far. Where do you live now? I'm in Mission Viejo. I see you have an Europa too. I haven't driven one since I was about 20 in 1984, I know it is slower than the Exige, but how does the handling compare?

Thank you to everyone for the positive comments.

Finally got the car I've wanted for a very long time. Long story, semi short.
  • In 03-04 I put a deposit down at the LA Auto Show on the new Lotus Elise that was coming to America.
  • Sold my 97 Viper in early 05 getting ready for the Lotus to come.
  • I had been looking to buy a business since 2000, and after a few that didn't pan out, finally bought a forklift business in Aug 2005.
  • Fall 05 get the word from Lotus to come pick out my options. I passed, since I had just closed on the business and used the Viper/Lotus money to help with the down payment.
  • Racing/Dance/08 Recession/College/Wedding for my daughter took the money for the past 17 years
  • Finally bought a 09 Lotus Exige S260 Sport with 22K miles.
I'm in Scripps Ranch, not too far. As for my Europas, that was a while ago when I had those. One was while I was in High School. I think I bought it for about $2k. It handled better than anything around as it was way ahead of its time. Can't compare it to the Exige, but I bet a well sorted Europa would give it a run for handling only.
Joel

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm in Scripps Ranch, not too far. As for my Europas, that was a while ago when I had those. One was while I was in High School. I think I bought it for about $2k. It handled better than anything around as it was way ahead of its time. Can't compare it to the Exige, but I bet a well sorted Europa would give it a run for handling only.
Joel
Ok, thank you for responding. That is plenty close enough to meet. I've never been to Palomar Mountain road, but I had some sportbike guys tell me this past weekend when I was at the lookout on Ortega, to go drive that road with the Lotus. They said it was a much better drive.

I remember loving how the Europa handled. I also remember the front end getting very light on it around 80ish-100. I don't remember how fast it was but my dad and I talked about it. I also remember when it had a bad rear stub axle or carrier on the left rear wheel. You could actually feel the wheel moving forward and backward when applying gas or letting off while driving. Once we figured that out, it was mail order to Dave Bean for parts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok, thank you for responding. That is plenty close enough to meet. I've never been to Palomar Mountain road, but I had some sportbike guys tell me this past weekend when I was at the lookout on Ortega, to go drive that road with the Lotus. They said it was a much better drive.

I remember loving how the Europa handled. I also remember the front end getting very light on it around 80ish-100. I don't remember how fast it was but my dad and I talked about it. I also remember when it had a bad rear stub axle or carrier on the left rear wheel. You could actually feel the wheel moving forward and backward when applying gas or letting off while driving. Once we figured that out, it was mail order to Dave Bean for parts.
Yes, once you got to 100 or so, the front was scary light and would bounce a bit. I used to remove air from the front tires and that seemed to help a lot. also, my Pzeros would only last about 2000 miles like that :D.
Some people really like Palomar. The Lotus event next month will have a hillclimb there so you may enjoy that. On a bike, I much preferred going up that back side (yikes) as it was a bit more flowing on a bike.
There's a meeting in Rancho Santa Fe on 10/1 looking for volunteers so send me a PM if you want details.

Cheers,
Joel

·
Registered
159 Posts
Welcome to the 2009 S-260 Sport club! Have had mine since 2015 and my heirs will be selling it for me. Currently enjoying Log in W. VA. You will have to attend one of these to get a full Lotus (in general) and Exige (in particular) learning and sharing experience!

For me, every ride is an event, and a unique driving experience!

Enjoy!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts