The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sold my Evora and have bought a 2013 Carbon Grey Evora S 2+2.

Trouble is, it is located in Portland, Oregon.

I'm considering flying out and driving it back to NJ. I figured I would spend 4 days bringing it across the country.

Thought it would be a once in a lifetime epic drive kind of thing.
Tentatively I'm thinking overnights in Salt Lake City, Lincoln, Nebraska, Chicago/Cleveland? And back to NJ

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Nice! Set you GPS to no highways and enjoy the back roads!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I flew to L.A. and drove my 911 back to RI. Exactly 2.5 days on the road, and yes I slept 2 nights in hotels. It was a great bonding experience with my new car, I highly recommend it! :) Steve

·
Illegal Alien
5,259 Posts
Theses foreign girls like em long and hard, but remember to vary the rhythm, I mean strokes, ok, RPM. Oh and keep an eye on the lube levels, remember she was still a virgin at the start of the journey.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Probably a good idea to use a route where you can schedule the first service (don't quote me but I think on the Evora it's between 1500-1800 miles). Gator Motorsports has one of the best Lotus techs IMO (TJ) and highly recommend you calling him if you can swing it. Either way, have fun should be a blast :up:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just my opinion, but if it's an unsold 2013, I'm not sure I would want its first couple thousand miles to be a cross-country trip. That's the critical break-in period where you need to vary the speeds of the motor and, as Abe pointed out, get the initial and important 1,500-mile service.

After the break-in? Hell, drive the thing to Alaska.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not wanting to be Debbie Downer here but, given the myriad service issues being reported, you might want to have AAA. I'd also consider scheduling a day or two in Portland to drive around and look out for issues before starting on the road and scheduling a couple of extra days off from work at the end of the trip in case you run into delays or have to fly home...just sayin'...Dave

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, i should of mentioned that it already has 4500 miles on the clock, has had an oil service at 1000 miles. Its the manual one at Ron Tonkin in Portland and is an ex LotusUSA, show,press,demo car.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I did an 11 day road trip in my Elise last year. There were zero car issues.

You might want to buy a tire repair kit and an air compressor for peace of mind.

Having a long-sleeved shirt is good to avoid sunburn on your arm.

Good luck, it should be fun!

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Thanks guys, i should of mentioned that it already has 4500 miles on the clock, has had an oil service at 1000 miles. Its the manual one at Ron Tonkin in Portland and is an ex LotusUSA, show,press,demo car.
Have the oil changed again and drive it.

I'd sugest a route around the south beltline of Indianapolis instead of Chicagoland.

·
Vendor
359 Posts
Have the oil changed again and drive it.

I'd sugest a route around the south beltline of Indianapolis instead of Chicagoland.
If this is something you are seriously considering vmcdemo, we would love to have the opportunity to take care of your new Evora on your way home! Shoot myself or TJ an email at [email protected] or [email protected]

PS Carbon Grey is a gorgeous color on the Evora, we had a 2014 Evora S with the black pack and it was perfect.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The drive would be fun. Post which states you need help with on route selections.

Don't take 84 out of Portland. It's just long and straight. There are better routes to Boise:)

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
I-94/I-90 are a more scenic routes than I-80 once you leave the Colorado front range. Eastern Colorado, Nebraska, and western Iowa are flat and straight.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
GUys its aCamry motor. You'd have a hard time screwing it up. By 500 miles let'r rip

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all, the dealer is changing the oil and brake fluid. The plan is to fly out Mon 21st and spend the rest of the week bringing her home. I'll keep you posted of the route, and while scenic is cool, I am looking to get home within 4 days.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Thanks all, the dealer is changing the oil and brake fluid. The plan is to fly out Mon 21st and spend the rest of the week bringing her home. I'll keep you posted of the route, and while scenic is cool, I am looking to get home within 4 days.
best of luck and please remember some pic's.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Here's what you have to look forward to :) From my LA to Providence cannonball when I picked up my 89 911. Awesome experience, but at 2.5 days, I treated it like a job, not embarrassed to say those are my batting gloves, a good decision I must say :coolnana:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
If this is something you are seriously considering vmcdemo, we would love to have the opportunity to take care of your new Evora on your way home! Shoot myself or TJ an email at [email protected] or [email protected]

PS Carbon Grey is a gorgeous color on the Evora, we had a 2014 Evora S with the black pack and it was perfect.
To meet these guys, def go the north rim road around Indy. If I wind up going that way again soon, I will, but this year I'm too booked to go to LOG.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts