The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Check out The Driver's Edge. It's a great time and there are a lot of Elise/Exige owners taking part in the events. Even if you just come out to get a ride it will be worth the trip!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the invites.
i've done the driver's edge at MSR in my M3, and enjoyed it.
i figure the elise will be a lot more fun.
as for the sunday drive... do you have a route or map (i couldnt make this one, but will try in the future... its tough for me as I have 2 little ones at home, but I get a little break here and there)

right now, the car also needs a few tweaks and TLC.
anyone here do their own oil changes and/or service work?
I would appreciate the opportunity to watch someone and learn.
any suggestions on where to pick up some tools to work on the car? *maybe sears? i noticed that standard tools dont seem to work*
thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Post up in the texas region forum next tde event you go to. We'll save you a spot with the rest of the cool kids. :)

As for tools, there isn't much of anything you need. Just the basic metric kits.

8,10,12,13,14,15,17,19mm
Also a good set of metric allen wrenches.
For jacking up the car I use the basic alum jack with a hockey puck and do one side at a time and just sit it on rhino ramps. Probably wouldn't work too well for changing oil since that would tilt the motor in the wrong direction though.

To be honest I don't even do my own oil anymore, the guys down at gashead here in houston make it worth my while to just drop it off and get it done when I get brake pads or tires put on. Probably sounds silly paying for an oil change when I do all my own motor work and supercharger installs. :D

If you are thinking about tracking here are a few things I would highly recommend, espeically with our heat and the MSR track.

0. Never let it get below half a tank of gas (seen a few fuel starvations blow motors)
1. S111 RTD brace (toe links have been known to fail)
2. Moroso Oil pan (adds more capacity and will save you from oil starvation)
3. Carbotech brake pads (they do have a squeak for daily driving)
4. Harness bar and harnesses (not needed, but helps stay put on track)
5. R888 tires (probably the best bang for buck on tires)

Other than that you will have a blast on the track. I didn't do any of the above except the fuel on my stock Exige and did just fine. But they all helped my times and gut feelings about failures once I did those and a few other things.

Enjoy the ride, they truely are great cars if you can deal with how little fluff they have.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I spoke with a few guys in japan about the moroso pan.. seems like they still find oil starvation issues with the moroso pan.. not sure if it's still an issue because there is soo many versions of it.. but instead of oil starvation during a corner.. oil is accumulating in the front pocket under hard braking.. japanese tuners modify the moroso pan to eliminate the front pocket..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jasper: thanks for the introduction. Yes, it is Shawn's car and you did a great job on the supercharger. It works wonderfully! it was actually a major selling point for me, particularly as I drove this car right after driving a non-supercharged elise. unfortunately, the dealer lost most of the paperwork Shawn had given them - would you be able to get me a receipt or some record of the work? i know its out of warranty but for resale in the future, it might be helpful.

morty: yes, the VIN ends in 0016. The car has a lot of goodies and I am enjoying discovering them. i am hoping to meet up with Shawn sometime in the near future so he can show me some of the cool things he had done.

thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts