The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the help in the last few days! I made my decision put a deposit down on this Elise. 2007 New Lotus Elise at Norm Baker Motor Co. in Las Vegas, NV - Vehicle Details I am going to be flying into Vegas and driving back to Boston. If anyone has an tips or advice as to what i should look out for or be careful of taking a new Elise on a drive this long. I know there is a break in period of about 500 miles but i was wondering if that would be extended or shortened because i am doing it in one trip.

Thanks again for all the help, i cannot wait!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
You should vary your speed and use all the gears during break-in. Read the owner's manual before you start your journey. If you search this forum, you might even find a copy of the owner's manual so you can read it before you leave for Las Vegas.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
There is a required service at 1,000 miles. You'll need to find out if you should have it done along the way or if you can push it until you get home. There is a potential strong negative impact on your warranty if you miss the window.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Here is the owner's manual for your pre-pick up enjoyment: http://sight.net/lotus/Elise_Manual.pdf

I highly recommend that you arrange to have the 1000 mile service done somewhere between Vegas and Boston at about 1000 miles. Like nvrblu states, best not to cruise along at highway speeds in one gear. Vary your speed and use all the gears. I was instructed to keep the RPM below 5000 for the first 500 miles then below 6800 for the next 500 miles, although that is a matter of debate. Some people have been too gentle during their break in period. Others drive it like they stole it from mile 5 on.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A common method of ensuring proper break-in when driving on the freeway is to exit and immediately re-enter the freeway every few miles. It slows you down, but works well.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I believe the Owner's Manual says that occasional "spirited driving" during break-in is ok... take it up to 7500 rpm 2 or 3 times during break-in. Just don't spend too much time there. ;)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Just drive it normal (don't hotrod) and don't bounce off the rev limiter. Also, no standing starts (burnouts) or high speed runs, until your 1k service. Just baby her...but not overly so. Good luck with the LONG drive...and congrats on joining the Lotus family. :D

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Also, if you get a steering wheel shimmy at 80 mph (indicated) then you have an out of balance tire/wheel and should stop and get it balanced...Personally, I'd get on the freeway near the dealer and get up to speed. If you get any shake, take it back and have them balance the wheels. You DON'T want to drive that far with it like that...trust me, I wish I had known better.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As usual great advice from everyone.

I was planning on stopping first in denver, but that is not quite 1000 miles from Las Vegas... Is it better to go a little past the 1000 or stop before? The only other option i can really see is 1200 miles to Dallas. Any opinions on the best route to take here?

thanks again

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Keep it under 130 MPH for the first 50 miles. Just kidding, but... It's summer take the northern most route you can maybe I-80. Don't drive in the heat of day leaving Vegas. Though the temp isn't bad right now. Don't go through texas in this heat, and you can go a few hundred miles more for the first service, especially if you're doing all freeway driving, which will keep your revs down

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
As usual great advice from everyone.

I was planning on stopping first in denver, but that is not quite 1000 miles from Las Vegas... Is it better to go a little past the 1000 or stop before? The only other option i can really see is 1200 miles to Dallas. Any opinions on the best route to take here?

thanks again
The service interval is actually between 1000 and 1500 miles per the manual. So anytime BETWEEN is good.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The best way to vary the speed during the break in period is to stay off the freeways. Freeways are long and straight (at least in that part of the country) and are perfect for constant speed travel - not what you want to do.

Get off the freeway and take the "blue roads" (the non-freeway roads on the maps). They will take you through towns and scenery that will keep you busy and keep the speed and engine loading varied. A nice leisurely break in trip...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Also, if you get a steering wheel shimmy at 80 mph (indicated) then you have an out of balance tire/wheel and should stop and get it balanced...Personally, I'd get on the freeway near the dealer and get up to speed. If you get any shake, take it back and have them balance the wheels. You DON'T want to drive that far with it like that...trust me, I wish I had known better.
Great advice. If a regular balance doesn't do the trick, you'll need a road force balance on a Hunter GSP9700 machine.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It might be a good idea to post your itinerary on LT.

You'll find that people on the way will make themselves known and be available if you need any help.

LT is "awesome" (as the natives say) in this respect.

·
Registered
860 Posts
long drive

In addition to the other advice, get some ear plugs. The interior noise is loud at highway speeds, especially with the windows down.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
And SPF45 sunscreen, a hat and good sunglasses. The sun is very bright up here. If you take I-70 to Denver, you can find many side roads (like Highway 6 over Loveland pass or you could take highway 9 from Dillon through Breckenridge to South Park, then Highway 285 to Denver) that'll take you over some spectacular scenery. You'll hit your 1000 miles or so before hitting Denver. Sad to say, once you leave Colorado, you'll be dreaming about cruise control for awhile...

Have fun whichever route you take!

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Make sure your lights are correctly aligned. Mine were crap from the factor. Or have a set of HIDs put in before you pick up the car. Makes a heck of a difference. Before those I would regularly outdrive the lights.

Edit....and I would take the north route. Denver....Then stop in yellowstone....then montana....take the northen back roads...great drive.

Down to Cheyenne I think and then across nebraska. Stop at Mount rushmore....then keep going east. Stop along the way to meet various Lotus guys. We are in Buffalo....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the help in the last few days! I made my decision put a deposit down on this Elise. 2007 New Lotus Elise at Norm Baker Motor Co. in Las Vegas, NV - Vehicle Details I am going to be flying into Vegas and driving back to Boston. If anyone has an tips or advice as to what i should look out for or be careful of taking a new Elise on a drive this long. I know there is a break in period of about 500 miles but i was wondering if that would be extended or shortened because i am doing it in one trip.

Thanks again for all the help, i cannot wait!

Congratulations!
Did you work with Mandy? She was a lot of help during my search for my Elise. Big Plus for them!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts