The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Farmers Insurance, 28yo, perfect record (that they know about), awesome driver. ;)

$1000 deductible
Limited use
$905.60 / 6mos
knock down to comprehensive over the winter for $50/mo

**** or ****

$2500 deductible
limited use
$709.40 / 6mos
winter layup = $234 (for the winter months).

not TOO bad, but quite a bit more than the $630/yr that Grundy quoted me before.

need to see about what the local banks need as far as a deductible. Apparently some will only do it with a $500 max. :eek:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
ace,

some banks may not let you drop the collision coverage.

Although, I dont know how they would fine out, and if you're not driving it in the winter...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I called for mine and it was about $1100 for 6/months, $500 deductable. I couldn't raise the deductable, since my financing is through the same company (USAA). I think it's very reasonable, nonetheless.

Barry

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
This was my quote a few months ago. Havent checked back now that I'm 25! I was probably going to use collector car insurance, but this rate nontheless was pretty good. I think it was the lowest quote posted here, but its not an everyday driver!

I'm starting to really doubt if USAA offers "low" car insurance rates! My dad and sis are on USAA, as I used to be as well. I switched because a) I moved to San Diego for college, and b) they wanted to charge me over $1100/yr to insure my fiat! I know LA has high insurance rates, but to compare, my quote from AAA in San Diego was $300/yr! AAA has been very very good to me in the last 7 years, including claims I made on my celica when it was vandalised.

Now my sister is being charge something near $2K/year on my dads USAA policy in LA. I called AAA to get a quote for her on my policy (she moves to SD in fall) and it was $400.

Modern Wedgie said:
Just spoke to AAA...and they have info on the elise.

This quote is on top of what I already pay per year to insure my other 2 cars, so the elise is a) not my primary car, and b) on a multi-car discount.

-$991/year
-with 50K/100K liability, 50K property, $1K collision ded, $100 comp. ded.
-5K-7.5K miles per year
-discounts: good driver (20%), multi-vehicle (25%), garage (8.5%), alarm/locator(LoJack) (18%), professional (10%), air-bag (8%).
-I am 24
-no accidents/tickets
-good zip code (La Jolla)

Not bad at all!

edit: The percentage discount is up to the amounts stated, so the actual discount is probably less.

·
Registered
186 Posts
$1100/6 months :huh: Reasonable my arse. That sounds like a RIP for a clean record. Something doesn't sound right. I'm curious to see what mine will be but I paid $600/ 6 months for my TT Supra. So I can't imagine it being that much more than that. And that was before I turned 25. Now I'm 29, multi-car w/home insurance discount as well. I'd shop around if I were you guys. That sounds awfully high.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
amc,

I have a clean record, multi cars discount and perferred status with State Farm (Mutual) and got a quote with full coverage and $500 deduct at appox 1,200/ 6mo. Mind you I live near Philadelphia which has the highest uninsured motorist population in the country which does change things a bit. For comparason, My 1998 Expedition (stop laughing) is 645 for 6 mo.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Insurance through Grundy

I contacted Grundy and was given a quote of $650/yr. which included collison coverage. This was with a $2500 deductible. Is there a reason why so many posters aren't looking to Grundy as a viable option?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Re: Insurance through Grundy

Ralbertina said:
I contacted Grundy and was given a quote of $650/yr. which included collison coverage. This was with a $2500 deductible. Is there a reason why so many posters aren't looking to Grundy as a viable option?
I know some of the exotic insurance like Grundy have very low mileage limitations, like 2500 miles per year. I intend to put quite a few more miles than that on the Elise, especially for the first few years.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
I'm starting to really doubt if USAA offers "low" car insurance rates! My dad and sis are on USAA, as I used to be as well. I switched because a) I moved to San Diego for college, and b) they wanted to charge me over $1100/yr to insure my fiat! I know LA has high insurance rates, but to compare, my quote from AAA in San Diego was $300/yr! AAA has been very very good to me in the last 7 years, including claims I made on my celica when it was vandalised.

Now my sister is being charge something near $2K/year on my dads USAA policy in LA. I called AAA to get a quote for her on my policy (she moves to SD in fall) and it was $400.
MW --

That's really weird. Are you sure this isn't a product of your dad's policy carrying very high liability limits, which you or your sister would therefore be required to carry as well?

I switched from Progressive to USAA recently, which I liken to going from the worst carrier to the best, and my rates were nearly identical. This is in Northern California.

I made the switch after I had to make a claim with Progressive and realized how totally screwed I was (they wanted to use aftermarket parts, would only pay for my car to be fixed at their shop, which was a low-end shop that did mediocre work, etc etc etc). It was literally a nightmare. The repair took 8 months, no kidding.

I have heard nothing but accolades for USAA, which is why I switched. In some cases, USAA doesn't even send out an adjustor -- they trust you to send them a fair bill.

The bottom line in my thinking was insurance is a service and you're paying for what happens if/when you do have to make a claim. AAA may have paid out happily for your vandalized Celica, though you may see another side of AAA (or any of the other mainstream carriers) when you need/want fiberglass repair work done "right" on your brand new ~$50k Lotus. This was a lesson I learned the hard way, albeit with a well-cared-for BMW.

Best,
John
p.s. a $2500 deductible sounds scary... I'd pass on that one.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Calling AW...AW are you there?

He should be able to tell you the limits. My limits are the same as what I got quoted on the elise. I currently pay $600/yr for both my cars (fiat and datsun) with those limits. When I had the celica (2000) and the fiat, it was $900/yr total. Yes, I have full coverage on those cars (added when I got the celica), because in the end it only cost $100 more a year, and its easier when I rent cars or if I need to add the elise, etc!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Yes, I'm beginning to question the rates I'm paying too. However, I do know that MW is correct in that her sister's burden to my policy -- even with good student break of $300 per year -- is $2055.36 additional per year, whereas my cost alone would be $1283.66

As to what coverage this is:
100K/300K/50K

$500 D comp/coll on an 7 year old car? (gotta rethink about this!)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
USAA has always been the best, plus getting a percentage back refund check every year is nice.

They quoted me $638/6 months 100/300/50, $1000 deductible.

Chris

·
Registered
186 Posts
It seems like people are able to get insurance quotes now so I might make a call to mine in the near future. I'm curious as to what the rates are going to be.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
not to switch this to an insurance company debate, but I have NEVER been let down by USAA. They've done nothing but great things for me. Even when someone backed into my car in a parking lot (100% their fault), I called USAA & they did everything - even paid me top dollar for my car (it was totalled) and then got their money from the other guy's insurance company. I've made other claims that were legit, but could easily be construed as questionable - got no grief from them.

USAA may not be the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Would someone mind passing along your insurance company's definition of 'limited use'?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
It's one thing to pay a little more, but what USAA quoted me, and what they are currently charging my sister is just ridiculous.

I was very happy with AAA. They even let me go to a high-end shop to get the paint redone on the celica (my car was the cheapest car there by atleast $30K). You'd never know the car had been repainted.

But I do agree, USAA has been good to my dad as well when he's made claims, except for the whole $3000 a year policy :eek:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
It's one thing to pay a little more, but what USAA quoted me, and what they are currently charging my sister is just ridiculous.

I was very happy with AAA. They even let me go to a high-end shop to get the paint redone on the celica (my car was the cheapest car there by atleast $30K). You'd never know the car had been repainted.

But I do agree, USAA has been good to my dad as well when he's made claims, except for the whole $3000 a year policy :eek:
You ought to call and talk to someone MW... that's just weird. It makes no sense that they'd charge you an absurd multiple of what you'd pay under another carrier. Maybe there's a mistake...

Do you have a good driving record?

- John

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
jsfarmer said:
Would someone mind passing along your insurance company's definition of 'limited use'?
I think State Farm defines that as less than 7000 miles per year.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Insurance through Grundy

Ralbertina said:
Grundy WILL give you a quote, but they're not insuring the car. I was fully planning on using them up until yesterday. $650/yr with unlimited mileage. However, If you email them, you will get the same response I did:

Dear Mr. Jetter,

Thank You for contacting GRUNDY WORLDWIDE's web site. Unfortunately, we are unable to insure the 2005 Lotus Elise. Best of luck in your search for proper coverage on your vehicle.

Respectfully,

GRUNDY WORLDWIDE
:(

1 - 20 of 50 Posts