The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
forum vendor or whoever... I have started discussions with SS Inserts about doing a SS or brushed aluminum version of the LOTUS lettering on the rear of the Elise... the standard peel off foil lettering just looks plain cheap to me... before I go into this project too far is there anyone out there already looking do and has got something in the works???

I selected SS Inserts due to an item I received from them for my C6 Vette...the CORVETTE emblem in the rear of the car is really an embossed shape same color as car so SS Inserts came up with the item you see in the pic..very nice workmanship...sets off the logo and to me adds a class look to the rear of Mr Blu.

Michael

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Still debating the letters altogether. I have not looked into nicer replacement options. I can't imagine they'd be hard to find, and drilling them in should be a snap.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
wallabyguy was looking into it... don't know how far he got.

I would definitely be interested in something like this, so if you do it keep us posted (I'm sure you would). side note: it is also one of the few things that I would prefer with a chrome look. ;)

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
damn that looks good. I'm liking your Corvy the more I see it. Especially that color.

·
Super Moderator
6,820 Posts
I think they should be thin aluminum with the same finish as the chassis & diffuser. Maybe offer them polished and anodized black down the road.

Anyways, I'd buy a set in aluminum that matched the diffuser. And, if you do the LOTUS letters, you also have to do the Elise badge too. I'm in.

--Josh

·
Registered
670 Posts
JWA said:
I think they should be thin aluminum with the same finish as the chassis & diffuser. Maybe offer them polished and anodized black down the road.

Anyways, I'd buy a set in aluminum that matched the diffuser. And, if you do the LOTUS letters, you also have to do the Elise badge too. I'm in.

--Josh
With rinestones. rimmed in fake diamonds and we'd get some pimps joining the wait lists.

Steve

·
Registered
479 Posts
SS Inserts

Is SS Inserets a company? YELOTUS, are the letters st.st. with adhesive backing?

Many months ago ask the question on this forum, would people be interested in laser cut letters. In my past work life I did some programing of a metal cutting laser. I think that some thin brushed or polished st. st. letters with adheshive backing would work very well. I don't have my car yet , but my intention was to make a cad file (dxf) and send it to the laser company for cutting.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm in on whatever... put my name on the list. I'll just be lazy and contribute nothing other than money when it comes time to purchase it.

actually.. I take that back.. I'll contribute this: Make something for the front plate holder as well. *grin*

:D

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I'm looking into having them made and then marketed through Club111. The profits would go entirely to the club to help with ongoing costs. I'll post when I have something.

BTW, Jer, can you call me? I need to talk a little business with you, unrelated to Club111.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SS Inserts is a company and the letters would be metal (can discuss being aluminum although they do specialize in stainless steel thus their name SS)..and would be adhesive....they use the 3M automotive adhesive which is already installed on the item and you peal off backing and place...just like the OEM badges on most cars
Will keep everyone informed on progress...sending detailed pics today to SS Inserts...
Michael

·
Registered
479 Posts
Great, sounds like your doing what I was planning. I was thinking maybe making the letters out of .090 thick material to give the letters a little depth. Is SS Inserts company a guy that sub contracts to a laser cutter or is it a company that has its own equipment?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lotuscar said:
Great, sounds like your doing what I was planning. I was thinking maybe making the letters out of .090 thick material to give the letters a little depth. Is SS Inserts company a guy that sub contracts to a laser cutter or is it a company that has its own equipment?
Not sure about your question but I can certainly asked them when I speak with them...this project is just in the early stages...sent 8 pics this morning for them to evaluate...
Michael

1 - 17 of 17 Posts