The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Both were preowned under 18k miles. I don't like to punish brand new vehicles off the showroom floor. Waited for both to get to temp before opening them up. I was testing the waters for a daily driver that accelerates fast and gives you that sensation of being thrown back in the seat. I love the subaru sti for that. Not looking for a track car, just a fun daily driver, mainly city driving. The 2 cars are in 2 different classes since the c63 should be compared to the RS4.

2011 C63 - exterior's more aggressive and better looking imho than s4. Interior is a little smaller but more modern looking than s4. the merc's seats are heavily side bolstered along ur back so wider people will feel uncomfortable. Turning the engine on blips the exhaust and it sounds wicked w/ v8 growl which then subsides to a fairly quiet idle. it was a non-p31 car. WOT, it's quick, gives u that initial push back and then is linear all the way to redline. Speed limit was 50mph and it hit 80mph just like that. steering feels light and not very rewarding, too electronically. But it would be a fun DD. I drove in automatic sport and then paddle shift mode, shifts are quick.

2011 S4 - exterior looks too similar to the A4 to me. the seats are much wider than the c63 and 2 toned color. the merc interior looked more expensive and luxurious to me. Being a quattro, the initial butt dyno feels similar to the c63, i.e. i felt being thrown back the same amount. It's quick but not like the c63 being ~333hp and not~ 440hp. So it feels quick but u don't hit 80mph when you look back at the speedometer. The steering wheel felt more weighted and more tactile. I liked it more. the exhaust tone was unremarkable after the v8 growl of the c63.

I was hoping that the c63 would blow my socks off with it's acceleration, but I think with any high hp car, they shine at higher speeds, i.e. 60+ hwy pulls. Since 0-60 feels very similar in the c63 and s4. The acceleration feel in the subaru sti actually feels more raw and fun due to the manual transmission.

both are great cars, but im not quite ready to do the auto paddle shift thing. I respect all cars and not loyal to any one brand. all cars have their pros and cons. driving the c63 and s4, just on driving experience alone, I wasn't able to definitely pick one over the other. But adding looks into the equation and having a v8! would probably steer me towards the c63. No need for quattro in FL. may favor the s4 if I was living up north

getting back in the elise to drive home, made me really enjoy the shifter and the stock exhaust sound. So much louder than the c63. and the steering feel of the lotus, just right...spoils us with great handling, that other cars feel numb.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Interesting. The manufacturer's 0-60 times are 4.4 secs for the MB, 4.9 secs for the S4, and Subaru does not list a 0-60 time for the current STi. I believe that's because of the controversy surrounding the current generation, in which most car mags and testers reported slower times than the previous generation - as much as 5.5 secs versus as low as 4.5 for earlier models. The consensus time seems to be about 5.2 secs (except for Motortrend, which always has times much faster than everyone else's).

Having owned several AMG models, I do agree that they never seem as fast as they are, because MB still leans slightly to the luxury side, versus, say, Porsche or BMW.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
what about E9x M3?

·
Registered
693 Posts
what about E9x M3?
I sold my E92 M3 cause of the numb steering and lack of enthusiasm. Car looks great...but I lost interest faster than any other car I've owned.

I love my S2000 more than the M3.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. The manufacturer's 0-60 times are 4.4 secs for the MB, 4.9 secs for the S4, and Subaru does not list a 0-60 time for the current STi. I believe that's because of the controversy surrounding the current generation, in which most car mags and testers reported slower times than the previous generation - as much as 5.5 secs versus as low as 4.5 for earlier models. The consensus time seems to be about 5.2 secs (except for Motortrend, which always has times much faster than everyone else's).

Having owned several AMG models, I do agree that they never seem as fast as they are, because MB still leans slightly to the luxury side, versus, say, Porsche or BMW.
Don't get me wrong, the merc was very quick. It'll get you into triple digits easily. I was just comparing butt dyno feel. So with city driving and the occasional WOT, both would feel similar. I agree 100% the mercedes leans more towards daily driving friendly and luxury. I think it would be a fun daily

what about E9x M3?
I drove one a year ago and it's a more capable car on the track due to better steering feel. You do have to rev it into the high rpms to have the power. Daily driving it wont give you the feeling that it's a 400+hp car. Great car if you wanted to do some track days or have curvy mountain roads to enjoy

I sold my E92 M3 cause of the numb steering and lack of enthusiasm. Car looks great...but I lost interest faster than any other car I've owned.

I love my S2000 more than the M3.
I enjoyed my S2000. It's cramped for elbow space and lack of torque, but you know what you're getting into when buying one. Im surprised the m3's steering felt numb. in that case i would definitely forget the c63's steering

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Just curious, how much road feel/steering feel, and shifting do you want in a city driven street driven DD?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious, how much road feel/steering feel, and shifting do you want in a city driven street driven DD?
For a true DD, very little. Both the S4 and C63 would be great for DD every day. Of course gas for the C63 is $$ at 14mpg i think. S4, imho, is better of the 2 for a daily.

I use the elise as a weekend car but only in the city since I don't track/autox. I enjoy the steering and tiring suspension as my weekend car. I know it's silly i dont push the elise on the track at 8-9/10's and probably only drive it 5-6/10's in the streets. i know some DD the elise, but I couldn't do it.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
For a true DD, very little. Both the S4 and C63 would be great for DD every day. Of course gas for the C63 is $$ at 14mpg i think. S4, imho, is better of the 2 for a daily.

I use the elise as a weekend car but only in the city since I don't track/autox. I enjoy the steering and tiring suspension as my weekend car. I know it's silly i dont push the elise on the track at 8-9/10's and probably only drive it 5-6/10's in the streets. i know some DD the elise, but I couldn't do it.
How about a regular C class? They have come a long way in style and refinement.
Most ppl drive their Elise the same way you do so dont sweat it.
Good luck finding the car you want.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^Oh I'm happy with the elise. Was considering trading the elise + money to get the c63 if the experience was out of this world, for me. So I was just testing the waters. My true daily that I drive now is a prius combined with the elise for those sunny days, works well for me

But I agree the new C classes look nice. It's all the C63 without the engine which would be good for a daily. Plus sometimes I steal my wife's bmw328 if I need more luxury

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
^^^Oh I'm happy with the elise. Was considering trading the elise + money to get the c63 if the experience was out of this world, for me. So I was just testing the waters. My true daily that I drive now is a prius combined with the elise for those sunny days, works well for me

But I agree the new C classes look nice. It's all the C63 without the engine which would be good for a daily. Plus sometimes I steal my wife's bmw328 if I need more luxury
Oh, ok. I didnt know you considered replacing the elise, thought you were just looking for a driver.
Good deal then.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Why did you drive a flappy paddle S4? 6 speeds are fairly common and are notably cheaper.

Look carefully at the used AMG prices. Like a Quattroporte, the good news is that if you wait a little, the price cuts in half. The bad news is the price continues to do that until it seems to approach about $12.50. I looked into C63, M3 and S4 a couple years ago. I ended up giving up and keeping my LGT.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I was hoping that the c63 would blow my socks off with it's acceleration, but I think with any high hp car, they shine at higher speeds, i.e. 60+ hwy pulls. Since 0-60 feels very similar in the c63 and s4. The acceleration feel in the subaru sti actually feels more raw and fun due to the manual transmission.
The STi feels more raw because:

2006 STi: 0-60 ~4.6s (STi 0-60 4.5 stock - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com), 3,351 lbs.
2011 C63 AMG: 0-60 4.4sec, 3,649 lbs
2011 S4: 0-60 ~4.7s, 3,847 lbs :eek:

The current STi and the Evo X need performance upgrades to compete with their previous generation versions.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why did you drive a flappy paddle S4? 6 speeds are fairly common and are notably cheaper.

Look carefully at the used AMG prices. Like a Quattroporte, the good news is that if you wait a little, the price cuts in half. The bad news is the price continues to do that until it seems to approach about $12.50. I looked into C63, M3 and S4 a couple years ago. I ended up giving up and keeping my LGT.
lol $12.50. automatic s4 since they had a preowned one right there. My intention was to drive the c63. S4 just happened to be there. found out that earlier c63's up to mid 2010, i think had headbolt issues that were causing coolant seepage and possible hydrolock/engine damage. it's on the mb forums. newer ones have revised headbolts with a different stouter design. that and the auto tranny were big minuses for me

The STi feels more raw because:

2006 STi: 0-60 ~4.6s (STi 0-60 4.5 stock - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com), 3,351 lbs.
2011 C63 AMG: 0-60 4.4sec, 3,649 lbs
2011 S4: 0-60 ~4.7s, 3,847 lbs :eek:

The current STi and the Evo X need performance upgrades to compete with their previous generation versions.
yea the lighter weight, and the manual transmissions since it's more involving and fun and jerks you more. auto paddle is quicker maybe, but too smooth and linear for me and less involving. Yea unfortunately the 08 to current sti's and evo's are heavier. I see you have an evo IX. 2006 evo's are the best. Wish mitsu made more than just one year of them. so damn hard to find a low mileage stock clean IX. Plus used prices on the IX's are ridiculously high. Good for owners, bad for buyers

·
Registered
343 Posts
I love E90 M3 Sedan. Best of both worlds, 4 doors, rear drive and a true 6 speed manual. The steering in numb only when compared to an Elise, S2000, NSX, but much better than the S4 and C63.

If you are just comparing S4 vs C63, I would take the S4 because you can get a true 6 Speed manual

1 - 15 of 15 Posts