The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found 4 metal pieces in a bag in the trunk. Two were labeled from passenger and the other 2 front driver. Didnt know what they were at first until I did some image searching online. They are the shims. I dont know much about this but I do know that some people do remove them and some prefer not to. What are the affects of these already being removed?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Assuming that the caliper bolts were cleaned, thread locker was applied, and they were correctly torqued... your handling should be better w/o the shims. [EDIT: oops, hub carrier / upright, NOT caliper]

Re-torquing the bolts is not enough: once they are loosened, new thread locker needs to be applied.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car from Fox Valley.... I think they were already removed by the person who sold the car to them. I dont know.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats are the negative effects from these shims being removed?

·
Registered
180 Posts
You will have more negative camber, which will improve cornering, and possibly contribute to faster tire wear-- all depending on how the rest of the alignment was set.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am going to take it back to Fox Valley and see if they will return it back to stock. If im not mistaken, this also contributes to a much rougher ride correct? And faster tire wear doesnt sound too inviting either.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Leave them out. Your ride will be fine. You will just corner better.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I think I am going to take it back to Fox Valley and see if they will return it back to stock. If im not mistaken, this also contributes to a much rougher ride correct? And faster tire wear doesnt sound too inviting either.
Not at all true... your front tires will show no more wear b/c of the shim removal, and ride quality is not impacted at all.

Keep the shims out.

Which car did you buy? Was it a Starlight Black Exige? Hmmm? Hmmm? Do tell!
(Aww nevermind, I see that you picked up the orange Elise. Beautiful, congrats!)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Shouldn't change the stiffness/harshness of the ride that i've ever heard... the better cornering that people are referring too means the front end hooks up better... which means the rear is now proportially a little more likely to let go on you, so you do in principal need to be a little more careful going from throttle to brake, or even just with sudden lifting...

side note: finding/searching the likely many threads discussing your question should be easier to find that pictures of the shims...

I'd leave them out and find a safe place to get an understanding for how the car performs for your style... no sense in putting them back in if you don't think you need it. People do complain that the car pushes a little too much through the turns (when stock, which shim removal one of the solutions), so you might want to evaluate your thoughts on that...

·
Registered
317 Posts
It appears the shims were used by Lotus as a way of reducing negative camber and, therefore, front cornering grip. Combined with the too skinny front tires, this helps ensure the front tires break loose before the rear reducing the chance of snap oversteer to which mid-engined cars are prone. This is the safest set-up for untrained drivers on public roads. A drivers natural reaction to to lift off the throttle if the tires start to lose grip. It the front tires loose grip first and the car is understeering (pushing), then lifting off the throttle will likely help straighten the car out and allow the driver to regain control. If the rear tires lose grip first and the car starts to rotate (oversteer) then lifting the throttle will cause the car to spin, which would be a very dangerous situation. Lotus dialed in understeer like every other manufacturer because it makes the cars safer for the masses.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
re: shims removal

if you're more comfortable with slightly more understeer, then replace the shims to their original configuration. two shims is not going to make much of a difference.

do you plan on tracking or autoxing the car?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It's very simple (as ACE says - they don't make THAT much diference).

If you are going to track the car (sensibly working up to your and the car's limits of course) then you should leave them out - because that's how the car is supposed to be set up.

If you are only going to drive on the street you will be driving well within the limits of the car and the issue is irelevant - so you might as well leave them out.

If you intend to explore the limits of the car on the street you should surrender yourself to the local police and ask them to lock you up until you are too old to get into the car - so - again - you might as well leave them out .

Simple really....

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Assuming that the caliper bolts were cleaned, thread locker was applied, and they were correctly torqued... your handling should be better w/o the shims.
What do the caliper bolts have to do with the shims? Are you on the crack?

xtn

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its 4 shims that were removed just to clear things up. I consider myself an "above average" driver but by NO MEANS a professional driver. Unless the end of the world is chasing me I dont plan on attempting to push to the limits on public roads. I also do not plan to auto-x.... BUT, I would like to find a safe area in the Chicagoland area to push it to the limits.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
What do the caliper bolts have to do with the shims? Are you on the crack?

xtn
Oops, I meant the hub carrier / upright. Can I get a whack?

If I call it a TOURING hub carrier, can I get two whacks?! :)

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Its 4 shims that were removed just to clear things up. I consider myself an "above average" driver but by NO MEANS a professional driver. Unless the end of the world is chasing me I dont plan on attempting to push to the limits on public roads. I also do not plan to auto-x.... BUT, I would like to find a safe area in the Chicagoland area to push it to the limits.
http://www.gingermanraceway.com/

1 - 20 of 37 Posts