dyno pull. The Zeitronix booth was conveniently located next to the
dyno. I am an existing Zeitronix customer so i stopped by their booth
to say hi and they showed me their new product called Zeitronix
Dash-Daq which is a Full color, OBDII compatible Touch Screen Display
which compliments the Zeitronix Zt-2 AFR Meter. Since the
dyno was conveniently right next to the Zeitronix guys, i was
wondering if they could plug in their Dash-Daq touch screen monitor
while doing dyno pulls as a live demo of some sort. So, the Zeitronix
guys plugged in their new toy into my car while it was on the dyno. There's a lot of variety of data to log similar to what EvoScan logs, but i selected to monitor up to 9 different channels of data from the OBDII port and data from
the ZT-2 unit: AFR, Exhaust gas temp, RPM, Manifold Absolute Pressure, Throttle position sensor, Spark Advance, Intake temp, vehicle speed, engine coolant temp

More info here: Zeitronix DashDAQ Display

I can replay the data on the touch screen itself or i
can download it into Excel or into the ZT-2 software that comes with
the ZT-2 unit. This is great for you track guys who would rather not
lug around your laptop in your car running EvoScan while you're doing
laps since the data is stored onto a memory card. I hope to have one
of these units installed in my car very soon so i don't risk breaking my laptop on the track.
Dyno pull stuff: 380whp RRE/Dr. Gray Stage 1 on
E85 @ 29psi boost. Stock turbo, stock cams, stock intake box, stock internals.

Short vid of my dyno run:
<embed src="http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac.swf?video=9ab911da-6044-4fdf-ae40-9adf0022090b" width="428" height="352" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Mitsu-Owners-Day-Dyno-run_172598.htm?ref=ec8edccb-f09c-4c6b-b066-9953017f1448">Mitsu Owners Day Dyno run with Evo 1/2</a>

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I like your license plate. If you are running from a crime scene, nobody will ever be able to read it correctly :cool:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like your license plate. If you are running from a crime scene, nobody will ever be able to read it correctly :cool:
I call it my "anti-red light camera" plate :evil:

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Cool stuff.

Too bad most of these guys don't fork over the money to pay for the $3,000+ EFI standalone ECU, or the 05 owners pay for the #2,000 Hydra standalone ECU. Hell, they won't even consider a emanage ultimate + Power Enterprise Camcon VVT-i tuner combo either.

They'll just sit tight at reflashed ECU's with an engine that can be tuned to make over 190 whp NA with only bolt ons, no internal work, and 250 whp with a supercharger and bolt ons. I guess an extra 20-40 whp over a katana kit doesn't sound yummy enough for them :shrug: . And it's not like anti-knock products like the J&S safeguard can save their engine on these standalone ECU tunes...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Cool stuff.

Too bad most of these guys don't fork over the money to pay for the $3,000+ EFI standalone ECU, or the 05 owners pay for the #2,000 Hydra standalone ECU. Hell, they won't even consider a emanage ultimate + Power Enterprise Camcon VVT-i tuner combo either.

They'll just sit tight at reflashed ECU's with an engine that can be tuned to make over 190 whp NA with only bolt ons, no internal work, and 250 whp with a supercharger and bolt ons. I guess an extra 20-40 whp over a katana kit doesn't sound yummy enough for them :shrug: . And it's not like anti-knock products like the J&S safeguard can save their engine on these standalone ECU tunes...
And you're one to talk, Mr. Cold Air Intake... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So whats the difference with this one and the standard dashdaq, just access to the Zeitronix box ?
That i coudln't tell you since i'm not that familiar with DashDaq, but i do know it can access the Zeitronix's data...

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
drewtech sell the box to other companies and they customise it with their software/hardware, i've seen quite a few variants of it now.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool stuff.

When i think of standalones, i think bang for the buck. At what point would a standalone make sense. I.E. with basic exhaust, intake mods, i'm sure a reflash is fine. FOr more hardcore stuff, standalone might be worthwhile. Standalones aren't for everyone...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
When i think of standalones, i think bang for the buck. At what point would a standalone make sense. I.E. with basic exhaust, intake mods, i'm sure a reflash is fine. FOr more hardcore stuff, standalone might be worthwhile. Standalones aren't for everyone...
:up: Agreed.

I had a long diatribe to go with that, but we're starting to veer off course, so, I'll leave it at that.

The unit in the OP looks purty nice. ;)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:up: Agreed.

I had a long diatribe to go with that, but we're starting to veer off course, so, I'll leave it at that.

The unit in the OP looks purty nice. ;)
Ya, its got a lot of functional bling to it.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
As I said, cool stuff that you'll have a better chance showing off to a more tuner oriented 2zz based site. There's even reluctance to use piggybacks here as well. Seriously. A Greddy emanage ultimate + V-manage combo will run you under $1000 new. And you can't say there won't be return on the dollar going that route for a boosted setup that can have ignition timing, fuel injector, vvt-i tuning, and lift lowering capabilities all in one. Although worthwhile to talk about, posting about E85 and datalogging products here is like posting about tC based turbo kit options to manual tranny Camry owners...very few responses will be had...

The fact that charlie's reflash has been distributed this long without that many problems is very amazing. Kudos to him, and creating a reflash that does what it does best, provide safe power adding. But at the end of the day, with a tuner engine, the power hungry will stay starving with reflashes. Such is my philosophy and many others who dig into EFI techology, but nobody has to agree with me if they don't want to. All I know is that we're not driving around a GTR, ZR1, Porsche Turbo engine here that'll cost over $10,000 to replace if something goes wrong.

As for me being Mr. Cold Air Intake, it will change to Mr. Greddy Supercharged by mid September. The time frame is set, and I'll get my buddy's mods parted out to me around that time as we will turn his car back to stock.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
As I said, cool stuff that you'll have a better chance showing off to a more tuner oriented 2zz based site. There's even reluctance to use piggybacks here as well. Seriously. A Greddy emanage ultimate + V-manage combo will run you under $1000 new. And you can't say there won't be return on the dollar going that route for a boosted setup that can have ignition timing, fuel injector, vvt-i tuning, and lift lowering capabilities all in one. Although worthwhile to talk about, posting about E85 and datalogging products here is like posting about tC based turbo kit options to manual tranny Camry owners...very few responses will be had...

The fact that charlie's reflash has been distributed this long without that many problems is very amazing. Kudos to him, and creating a reflash that does what it does best, provide safe power adding. But at the end of the day, with a tuner engine, the power hungry will stay starving with reflashes. Such is my philosophy and many others who dig into EFI techology, but nobody has to agree with me if they don't want to. All I know is that we're not driving around a GTR, ZR1, Porsche Turbo engine here that'll cost over $10,000 to replace if something goes wrong.

As for me being Mr. Cold Air Intake, it will change to Mr. Greddy Supercharged by mid September. The time frame is set, and I'll get my buddy's mods parted out to me around that time as we will turn his car back to stock.
The problem with tuning our cars to the ragged edge is that quite a few of us actually track our cars. On track your putting a very high load on the engine for 20-30 minutes straight 4-5 times a day, sometimes in very high temperatures. For instance, last weekend I ran 8 25 minutes sessions in 102 degree weather.

Now most of the Celica guys are drag racing and only putting a load on their motors for what 17-18 seconds.. :D

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
So are you saying these 2ZZ-GE swapped MR2-Spyders tuned on the Apexi Power FC standalone ECU are going to pop any minute during their motorsport racing events?

YouTube - Touge Showdown 200 part 3
YouTube - Touge Showdown 3
YouTube - Race - MR-S vs S15
YouTube - bmi s14a

Oh lordy. Time to tell Japanese tuning companies to switch to conservative reflashes NOW!!! :panic:

WTF...I just wanted the links to show...not the embedded videos...oh well.

Anyway, sorry for the thread drift. Back to the gadget.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys, no fancy car here, but I am running the DashDaq from Drewtech. It is an awesome instrument to have. You can monitor almost anything, and select your high warnings and max values for your gauges. You can also datalog your instuments while running so you can view them later.

·
Registered
377 Posts
dashdaq

I would like to monitor AFR and boost on my SC'd Elise. What needs to be installed and where? I want to use a dashDAQ for data logging as well, and would really like to know what package I need, parts, and cost. From what I know, a bung has to be welded on the exhaust prior to the cat for A/F Ratio. And a Boost sensor has to be connected to a vacuum tube running from the supercharger. I guess the one that is the one between the bypass valve and the sc. Need help on that one.

Also, if I didn't want to install the wideband AFR and boost cables and only had a DashDAQ, could it get a reading of the AFR from the 2005 Lotus Elise ODB II? AFR is my primary concern, and I would rather just plug into ODBII, but if the the following is the only option, then so be it.

The following items are from Zeitronix

$879 Zt-2 + DashDAQ Touch Screen Display and Datalogger Combo
Includes the DashDAQ Display plus Zt-2 Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Meter, Wideband Oxygen Sensor, Sensor Harness, Signal Harness, PC Serial Cable, Datalogging Software, Installation Instructions, and 2 pin EGT connector to retrofit your EGT probe. Zeitronix-DashDAQ has a full color, touch screen display and logs Zt-2 and OBDII parameters. Click here for details. Made in the USA.

and 1 of the following. I don't understand which one I need.

$109 MAP, Boost Sensor, 50 PSI (3.5 Bar) absolute pressure
This means vacuum and 35.3 PSI gauge at sea level.

or

$119 MAP, Boost Sensor, 75 PSI (5 Bar) absolute pressure
This means vacuum and 60 PSI gauge at sea level.
Less expensive than most peak and hold boost gauges. Connecting harness and hose barb included. Made in the USA.

Is this all I need?

A DashDAQ alone is expensive at $679

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
the dashdaq alone is too slow to read AFR's properly, OBD II isn't designed to supply data that quickly, but thats irrelevant anyway since the AFR's can't be read by the OBD II anyway, you can monitor LT/ST fuel trims which will tell you if theres something amiss.

you're better off with something that adds a wideband at precat then logs that, the dashdaq can log from the zeitronix and the innovates and a few others, that'll allow it to data log faster.

If you only want AFR's just get a stand alone gauge like the AEM, they have 0-5V outs and some have rs232 outs too, since they're still in the 1970s.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want to log EGT's, that's an extra $89 for the sensor.

·
Registered
304 Posts
And a Boost sensor has to be connected to a vacuum tube running from the supercharger. I guess the one that is the one between the bypass valve and the sc. Need help on that one.
Apparently, the one on the Exige S doesn't work... only gives vacuum. Seems like the only good way to get a boost reading is to drill and tap the intercooler pipe. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts