The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 w/2GB RAM - soon to be expanded to 4GB :)

Definitely a huge performance improvement from my dual 1GHz G4 box.

I never thought a computer could be made out of such high quality materials... very slick.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
All hail The Mighty Jobs. Long live Apple! :clap:

Down with Microsoft and the evil Lord Gates.:D

BTW.... took delivery of my G4 17" Powerbook in May and Love it. I can never leave my house without it. I hope it fits in my Elise.

·
Registered
513 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 w/2GB RAM - soon to be expanded to 4GB :)

Definitely a huge performance improvement from my dual 1GHz G4 box.

I never thought a computer could be made out of such high quality materials... very slick.
Nice.

Just wondering... do you use that to produce music?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Very nice! I bought my first Mac (TiBook 800) a couple years ago. Now, I can't live without it. You'll enjoy it for years to come.

An aside: just from browsing the forums, it seems like a larger than average percentage of us here on elisetalk.com also use Macs. Hmm....I guess we like *everything* lightweight!! ;)

Jim

·
Banned
270 Posts
I'm on my PowerBook G4 as we speak. My Dell Inspiron has taken an early retirement, Dell next to the G4 looks like an F150 parked next to an Elise. Virtual PC for Mac enables me to run all my previous PC programs, payroll, taxes etc. on the G4. 17" screen is quite impressive.

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel
Black RSX Type S, 206 WHP, up for sale when the Elise shows up

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jtanner said:
Very nice! I bought my first Mac (TiBook 800) a couple years ago. Now, I can't live without it. You'll enjoy it for years to come.

An aside: just from browsing the forums, it seems like a larger than average percentage of us here on elisetalk.com also use Macs. Hmm....I guess we like *everything* lightweight!! ;)

Jim
My G5 tower is definitely not lightweight... this thing is solid metal :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Twin 867 G4 desktop, 12 inch G4, Airport Extreme with Airport express repeater station, iPod, and (beat this) Newton Messagepad 2100 (hence the avatar, long live the Newton.)
Personally I find that the 12 inch Pbooks are much more functional and usable due to their compact size. I love giving lectures and have hid inconspicously out of the way.

·
Registered
592 Posts
babak said:
Newton Messagepad 2100 (hence the avatar, long live the Newton.)
Wow, have you always had the Newton logo in your avatar. Been seeing it all this time and it never registered. I used a Newton for quite a while. It must me in a drawer around here someplace. Definitley way ahead of its time.

Now I use a dual 1 Ghz Quicksilver, iPod, Clie...

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Everyone,

I need a new computer for my home, because I gave my old one to my ex who just moved out. I've been considering a Mac, because I do a lot of visual design and music compositing. I want something that's quiet, clean, and doesn't eat up too much space. A G5 tower is probably a bit bigger than I'm looking for, but a G4 powerbook probably is a bit slower than I'm looking for. Lately I've been thinking about just giving in and going for a micro PC or IBM-compat notebook. I need help deciding, quickly! It sucks having to come in to work to use the Internet!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Well, a G4 tower would satisfy your performance needs most likely, especially a dual processor one. They're smaller than the G5, too. Only problem is they have a reputation for being a bit loud (fan noise).

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
MattG said:
Well, a G4 tower would satisfy your performance needs most likely, especially a dual processor one. They're smaller than the G5, too. Only problem is they have a reputation for being a bit loud (fan noise).
Actually there was a free upgrade from Apple on those about 8 months ago. They mailed out a whole new cooling assembly which took about 10 minutes to do, it's much better now, barely noticeable.
I'm with Matt on this one steve. Apple still sells G4 towers (even under student discount) and they are a good value for money. Also, for what you do look into this:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
[devil's advocate]
Jobs buys out, takes over, and sues competitors out of business just as well as Gates.
PC's are cheaper.
Linux is stable.
My Windows machine at the office (with all legitimate software) has the same uptime as my Linux boxes (35 days, 3 hours, 45 minutes since the last power outage).
[/devil's advocate]

mac's sure are purty.

... ok... ok... they've very, very good too. ;)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Speaking of Jobs he's status post resection of pancreatic CA with good results but this at best is not a pleasant one. The odds are against him.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I switched to a 12" PB after a long line of PC laptops (and a few desktops). I bought the bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard for the office and I have an Airport Extreme card for home.
I always badmouthed Macs, but I really like OSX and I love my Powerbook.
A friend just bought me the new 40 GB clickwheel IPod and I have the remote, carrying case, and car kit for it. After all these years of Mac bashing I'm becoming a Steve Jobs posterchild!

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
NMRJock said:
I switched to a 12" PB after a long line of PC laptops (and a few desktops). I bought the bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard for the office and I have an Airport Extreme card for home.
I always badmouthed Macs, but I really like OSX and I love my Powerbook.
A friend just bought me the new 40 GB clickwheel IPod and I have the remote, carrying case, and car kit for it. After all these years of Mac bashing I'm becoming a Steve Jobs posterchild!
Wait till you get an airport express and start running music through the house using your airport and dynamic playlists. It's just too cool. I almost miss having my PB sitting on top of the reciever with iTunes visualization turned on.

·
Registered
592 Posts
babak said:
Speaking of Jobs he's status post resection of pancreatic CA with good results but this at best is not a pleasant one. The odds are against him.
while most pancreatic cancer is quite deadly news reports are that he had a slow growing type of cancer that is not the type we are most familiar with. We can only hope for the best.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts