The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good times, other than Schumacher winning again and BMW having a horrible day.

The weather was perfect, but I returned from the race wearing Ferrari red skin from the constant sun exposure.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I also thought Schumacher blocked Sato at the start, but the in-car footage from Sato's car showed that he wasn't close enough to be a threat. If Schumacher was blocking, he was doing it uneccesarily. Frankly, I think Montoya's tactic of hitting the Ferrari every time he passes is the best way to get racing room.:) Too bad though, I would have loved to see Sato (or Alonso, or even Barichello) win.

My latest idea for improving the spectacle - open the pit lanes to reporters and fans (similar to what Indy is doing). That way we get to see more of the cars, and the factory spies can see more go-fast parts. Ummm - just to be clear, I mean opening the pit lanes when the track is closed. :0

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
#1 - I REALLY don't understand why it took over 3 minutes for a crew to get to Ralf

#2 - I REALLY don't undestand why it took the stewards 50 laps (over an hour) to figure out Montoya shouldn't be out there!

Okay... call me stupid, but WHY????

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
khamai said:
#1 - I REALLY don't understand why it took over 3 minutes for a crew to get to Ralf

#2 - I REALLY don't undestand why it took the stewards 50 laps (over an hour) to figure out Montoya shouldn't be out there!

Okay... call me stupid, but WHY????
Things weren't run very well, that's for sure. The time it took them to get to Schumacher was ridiculous - what if his injuries had been more serious?

Montoya getting black flagged 50 laps late was pathetic as well.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Did any of you guys see the segment on the Honda(?) carbon fibre gearbox? They had the thing on a stand in full view with suspension and all the bits on it! What a piece of kit that was!!
Chris
PS> who gave up on F1 as being interesting years ago. I thought the Watkins Glen ALMS race was better myself.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Apart from all of the problems you guys already mentioned, I thought suspicious how Barrichello was passed by MS so easily at turn 13, I think Ferrari is up to its old tricks. Other than that I thought this one of the better races as for as watching. Did you guys cath the comments from Bernie Eclestone, i think, about developing american drivers? In case you didn't, he said he thinks American corporations need to invest in F1 and develop young american drives to grow into F1.

Fred

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I agree they took a long time to get to R. Schumacher. Maybe they were watching him and noticed that he was moving, in any event they should have reacted faster.

On Montoya... Oh well, sure the race stewards should know the rules, but so do the teams. Maybe they were digging through the rules and took them 53 laps to find the actual print before they could act. I rather have them take their time before doing something drastic.

Maybe I don't like Montoya's attitude overall blaming the car (reads team) all the time, or maybe I don't like him because he looses his cool and goes for revenge taking himself out.

Barrichello didn't let Michael pass, he couldn't close the door because MS was clearly in front and on the inside.

NHRA J Force gets no love for winning all the time
NASCAR Same thing with the guy that drives that #24 car.

You get the Idea, the thing that Gordon, Force and MS have in common is that they care about their teams and they don't put themselves above or below the rest of their team. You'll never hear Barrichello or MS complaining about how their mechanics/engineers.

And nobody cared about Ferrari 84-99 and as far as FIA's Golden Boy, remember 1997? the FIA DQed his whole season for being agresive on a pass, the kind of thing that Montoya will pull now a days.

McLaren dominated for years, way more than Ferrari.

As you can see, I'm now a Ferrari fan, but I miss that great looking John Player Special. It was a sad day when Lotus retired from F1 :(

Miguel

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i don't understand why people complain about schumy winning all the time. People, you are getting a rare opportunity to see THE BEST DRIVER EVER. 20 years from now you will be proudly telling your kids and grandkids stories about how you saw the great Michael Schumacher win the American Grand Prix. The guy is a machine. Just appreciate the brilliance because we won't have it forever.

That being said, he clearly cheated in this race :p

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
offroadr35 said:
That being said, he clearly cheated in this race :p
:p

I don't think he cheated. He really is an incredible driver who seems to actually become part of his car when he's on the track... and for that I respect him. It just sucks to see the same thing every race.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
:p

I don't think he cheated. He really is an incredible driver who seems to actually become part of his car when he's on the track... and for that I respect him. It just sucks to see the same thing every race.
i do, of course, realize that it can be somewhat boring to know the winner of every race before the start.

However, for anyone who has ever driven on a track, just think about what this guy is doing. First off, every single F1 driver drives basically flawlessly at 10/10ths on every single lap. They may make a few minor mistakes a race and that's what costs them. This guy just never ever makes any mistakes. Can you imagine taking the fastest car in the world around the best tracks in the world for 70 flawless laps 18 times a year?! It really is astounding what he is doing.

EDIT: AND on top of all that, his influence and the feedback he is able to provide as a driver has completely turned Ferrari around as a team. He is widely noted as the best driver ever at instructing his crew how to set the car up. He is also able to drive so smoothly that he barely ever has any mechanical problems.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Ferrari engines are only one away from tying Ford for the most victories ever. If you have been watching F1 for a while, you know that this is UNBELIEVABLE considering that basicall every car in the field ran a Ford engine for more than a decade.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Qualifying on tape?

Does anyone have Saturday's qualifying on tape? If so, can I work something out and get a copy?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've been watching F1 for 30 years and while it may seem boring to know he will win, MS is one of the greats. His consistency and immediate pace are always impressive. Look at the intensity he still has after 200 GPs. I consider Ferrari the perfect storm - best driver, car and team.

Look at the way they pulled MS in right after the SC was called for. He was able to pit and still come out in the lead. That was Ross Brawn, not MS, but it all leads to the same outcome.

Owning a BMW, I would like to see them bring their game back up, but I am particularly impressed by the advances of BAR.

p.s. - read the book by Peter Wright (former Chief Engineer for Lotus) about the Ferrari F1 published by David Bull.
http://www.bullpublishing.com/cgi-bin/web_store/web_store.cgi?page=12b.html&cart_id=
If you are into the technology, this book is awesome.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Actually...

fredg said:
Did you guys cath the comments from Bernie Eclestone, i think, about developing american drivers? In case you didn't, he said he thinks American corporations need to invest in F1 and develop young american drives to grow into F1. Fred
That was Jackie Stewart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts