The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am pretty sure I totaled my Lotus... input needed please!

I had an accident 1 week ago, it was my fault and my car was the only vehicle involved, speed was not a factor so to be short I made a mistake and my Lotus Elise is now in bad shape.

I made a claim with Progressive insurance several hours after the accident and several days later after the tow yard was open they picked the car up and had it towed to their site.
The adjuster called me and told me they were 99% sure that car was going to be a total loss but they cant be positive because they weren't able to establish a value for the vehicle. Since they have no value for the Elise they have nothing to compare the repair estimate to so they determine if its a total loss yet or not.
They informed me that they have a 3rd party that researches vehicle values and they would have that company search in a 150 mile radius at dealerships to find similar a similar make and model to get an average value. I told them that I was just at a dealership that had 3 Lotus Elise's on their lot and that I knew of another dealership that had 1 on their lot and gave my adjuster the info. I told them my vehicle has several factory options that would change the value and my adjuster told me they would document those at a later date.
The insurance adjust told me that they would have a value within 2 days, it has now been 6 days (including the weekend) and they still haven't figured it out. I am now getting worried that they might try to repair the car. It seems like it has some pretty serious damage so I would think that it would be totalled...
Here is the damage that I could tell by a simple visual inspection: The front of the vehicle is where the impact happened and then the passenger side got hit after the initial impact. The front clam is broke in half, the windshield is broken, the crash structure is broke in half, the passenger lower side is cracked and broken, the passenger door is cracked and broken, the passenger side rear clam is cracked and broken, both mirrors are broken off, the lower diffuser was ripped from the front and bent backwards, and several of the front lights are missing and broken.
I imagine that since the crash structure got hit and broken it could have sent some of that stress into the aluminum bonded chassis/frame. Is there any way for them to verify that the chassis/frame is undamaged and still safe? I have read there is no way to repair the chassis/frame.
If the car isn't a total loss I feel that I will be getting screwed because the car would lose value and that's unacceptable especially since the Lotus Elise appears to be rising in value, at least in my area anyway.
I have attached several pictures, what do you guys think about the damage, is it something that you think the insurance company might repair? It seems like I have seen Lotus's totaled for a lot less damage than this...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I had an accident a week ago, it was my fault and my car was the only vehicle involved, speed was not a factor so to be short I made a mistake and my Lotus Elise is now in bad shape.

I made a claim with Progressive insurance several hours after the accident and several days later after the tow yard was open they picked the car up and had it towed to their site.
The adjuster called me and told me they were 99% sure that car was going to be a total loss but they cant be positive because they weren't able to establish a value for the vehicle. Since they have no value for the Elise they have nothing to compare the repair estimate to so they determine if its a total loss yet or not.
They informed me that they have a 3rd party that researches vehicle values and they would have that company search in a 150 mile radius at dealerships to find similar a similar make and model to get an average value. I told them that I was just at a dealership that had 3 Lotus Elise's on their lot and that I knew of another dealership that had 1 on their lot and gave my adjuster the info. I told them my vehicle has several factory options that would change the value and my adjuster told me they would document those at a later date.
The insurance adjust told me that they would have a value within 2 days, it has now been 6 days (including the weekend) and they still haven't figured it out. I am now getting worried that they might try to repair the car. It seems like it has some pretty serious damage so I would think that it would be totalled...
Here is the damage that I could tell by a simple visual inspection: The front of the vehicle is where the impact happened and then the passenger side got hit after the initial impact. The front clam is broke in half, the windshield is broken, the crash structure is broke in half, the passenger lower side is cracked and broken, the passenger door is cracked and broken, the passenger side rear clam is cracked and broken, both mirrors are broken off, the lower diffuser was ripped from the front and bent backwards, and several of the front lights are missing and broken.
I imagine that since the crash structure got hit and broken it could have sent some of that stress into the aluminum bonded chassis/frame. Is there any way for them to verify that the chassis/frame is undamaged and still safe? I have read there is no way to repair the chassis/frame.
If the car isn't a total loss I feel that I will be getting screwed because the car would lose value and that's unacceptable especially since the Lotus Elise appears to be rising in value, at least in my area anyway.
I have attached several pictures, what do you guys think about the damage, is it something that you think the insurance company might repair? It seems like I have seen Lotus's totaled for a lot less damage than this...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
This is totalled and Progressive will not fix it. It will cost too much to fix. I had an Elise that was totalled by a friend with less damage and it was written off by them.

I got my money back and never let him borrow a car....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just out of curiosity who was your insurance provider at the time and how did they determine the value of your car? I have noticed that Lotus's seen to be going up in value lately so I want this to be reflected in the pay off, I need to be able to purchase another Elise once this is over....

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Areas where damage is seen:
Front Clam
Front Markers
Front Headlamps
Front Crash structure
Windshield
External mirrors
Passenger door
Under door panel
Rear clam
Side (repeater) markers

Even if they value your car at 40K, (most) insurance companies will not want to repair this car based upon what is visible. If your frame took damage, no insurance company will want to repair your car with this much other damage on it. An old adjuster buddy said he normally would not recommend repairing a car, where the damage exceeded half the value of the car. In rare cases he would push it to 66 percent. I am seeing about 30k in repairs needed to restore this car to original condition (with no frame damage). Some forum members have experienced 6 month of wait to get a new clam.
By the way, I couldn't tell from the picture; did the air bags deploy? Replacing airbags is pricey.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It does look like a total loss. Quite a few costly replacements there:
rockers, front clam, door and maybe the rear clam should be enough to have it totaled.
FYI, it is usually not the best of ideas to post stuff like this before the insurance business is finished. They do happen to check these forums when stuff like this happens

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yeah get those images down, it also hurts resale on rebuilt titles. Its a loss, collect the insurance and re-buy. So sorry for the loss man.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Don't worry they will not try to repair all this.

Just be glad no one was hurt, take a long last look, wipe a tear and walk away. Try to gain something for the experience.

We just did this with our S4.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
its a total loss because of the damage to the rocker panel on top of the other stuff. if it was just front & rear clam i think you might have been able to dodge the salvage bullet...

see how much you can buy the car back for though... looks to be plenty of stuff that should still be in good shape for a part out sale if you can buy back cheap enough :shrug:

·
Registered
05 Elise BRP sport touring SC
74 Posts
My last Elise was totaled about a year ago. I have progressive as well. They will for sure total yours out. But they do have to get a proper estimate for possible repairs before making an official statement. Getting all their ducks in a row is all. My claim took a bit of time because it is an exotic and their normal computer system doesn't include it. (This is a really good thing for us). They will call the 3 closest dealerships to you and ask for the prices of similar year and options. Then they will give you their pay out amount. Just be patient... It will all work out.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Just out of curiosity who was your insurance provider at the time and how did they determine the value of your car? I have noticed that Lotus's seen to be going up in value lately so I want this to be reflected in the pay off, I need to be able to purchase another Elise once this is over....
Progressive was the insurance provider. My car was relatively new so I just showed them the purchase price docs. I took off everything extra that I had added to the car (hard top, front splitter and ...), and they totaled the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts