The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a mission this has been....

First problem was finding an alignment shop that I could get the Esprit on their rack!

Finally, I went to Dyer Chevrolet in Vero Beach. I figured that they deal with 'vettes all the time so they must be used to low cars with long front overhangs. Bingo! I was right. With the aid of some wood boards, we were able to get the Esprit on the rack.

The Chevy deal was great. They let me work with their tech while doing the alignment. I showed him all of the Esprit's intricacies and how lotus wants the alignment setup performed, etc. The owner of the dealership knew the Esprits as her father had owned a 25 anniversary (2002?) Esprit.

All went pretty well other than the rear toe. What a PITA! Why did lotus design it like that. It took both of us under the car to get the long bolt out of the trailing arm. They should have made adjustable lower links (like the adjustable uppers.) That would make the toe adjustment so easy.

With my Esprit as low as it is.....abotu 1.5"-2" lower than stock, they had to use the 6mm (thick) shim on the right side and a 6mm along with one of the original shim plates on the left side. All was able to get within spec! In preparation for the alignment, I ordered 2 sets of each size shim from SJS. I already had a couple parts on order from SJS, so I had steve add the toe shims into the order as it wouldn't cost anymore for the shipping. Part of the that order included the polyurethane bushings for the upper and lower rear links.

I don't have adjustable front a-arms, so toe was all that could be adjusted up front. In the rear, we were able to set the camber to about .4 degrees on each side and about .2 degrees toe in. I thinnk the front toe was .11 degrees on each side.

While there, I realzied that they had the new Hinter road force balancer. So, I had my newly refreshed and widened s4 wheels mounted with new tires. When I pick it up, I'll post pics!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
On the V8's they have split shims for the rear toe. I wonder if they can be used on older Esprits to make changes easier.

I lowered my rear a tad and the alignment guy was able to loose 2 bolts to add shims and tighten. No effort at all.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yes, you can use the split shims on the older cars, you could use regular alignment shims for that matter...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts